Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine who plays VC and TK is thinking of playing WE's after he was amazed by their play style during a 1750 tournament we recently played in. However that wood elf player said that generally wood elves aren't very playable past 2000 points. Is this true? Or is it more of an opinion? After reading the army book I would understand his logic, but want to hear from devoted woodelf players what they think.

Thanks,

Emysk

·
4,361 Posts
Wood elves are playable past 2k points. But it does get more difficult. Mainly due to magic. Facing lord level casters makes it a tougher slog for wood elves, though they are still competitive. Below 2k, wood elves are great since we have some of the best core units and wardancers are great in small games.

SirKently

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
I would say they are near impossible to play pass 2k unless your a pro.

I do pretty well up until then. But once the heavy casters come out or heavy hitters come swingin', blah.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Which in a way makes sense I suppose. The woodelves primarily rely on Athel Loren itself to protect them. Large armies simply wouldn't be able to penetrate deep into the forest before the lgistics became too much of a problem. Of course this isn't too well represented in the game. Really Woodelves should get an additional wood every full 1500pts (so in a 3000pt game they would get 2 woods).

·
859 Posts
I have a 5k army, but haven't had a chance to play above 2.5k.

Would like to play with a full list some time :D Low points are difficuly for Wood Elves, especially against horde armies while higher points seem to have less relative hitting power that some armies have. We're very much a mid-range army it seems and excel at a specific range.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I prefer to play between 1K and 1750K; but usually end up playing at 2k, given that most people like bringing their 500 point center piece. I really can't begrudge them that. If they spent 100 dollars on forge worlds keeper of secrets, I can see why they want to use it. It can get annoying though, I ran into a Skaven player who was unwilling to play at less than 2250, because he couldn't take what he wanted to at that level.

That said, I really think Wood Elves' strong point is efficiency. My 2250 list runs 12 different units and my 2000 variant runs 11; which is as many units as my Skaven friend runs, but they run at higher initiative, strength, and weapon skill.

What's been said so far makes sense to me. It seems that efficiency becomes less of a glaring advantage in high point battles where the enemy can take multiple death stars or doom lords.

·
1,151 Posts
Where I am from e play 2250 all the time. Different places play different point levels. I will agree that the high the points the more chance of fighting more nastie and the magic can really play against us. Now right down he street there is a group of people that likes to play 3000 points for pick ups. These are the list most people do not like playing against. They like their special characters and over all like to power game. Their first tournament was 3K then it went to 2500. I am hoping that they will come down to 2250.

I think WE can handle themselves at 2250 and anything over that is hard on us as a hole. Well I guess we can see that 8th ed will bring are army.

·
1,258 Posts
I have a 5k army, but haven't had a chance to play above 2.5k.

Would like to play with a full list some time :D Low points are difficuly for Wood Elves, especially against horde armies while higher points seem to have less relative hitting power that some armies have. We're very much a mid-range army it seems and excel at a specific range.
Really? I find that we do better. Our still the cheap for what you get, relative to any army. 4 Dryad squads of 8 and 3 GG squads of 10 in a 1500 is only half the army. 2 cheap effective characters and some specials and we're ready.

Even at 1000 points, I would simply drop down to 3 dryad and 2 GG.

I haven't played WHFB in a year and i remember the point cost for all the units, weird...

·
859 Posts
At lower points I usually end up fighting Skaven or Goblins, in a recent campaign I wiped the floor with Chaos, Empire and still have High Elves to play, I think I will lose to the Asur though. I lost to the Skaven from my own fault and the Goblin player had three backseat generals as he was new to the game, so he got away with a lot of rule bending when nobody could agree on what to do. He also forgot his fear of elves for that battle, so it was a bit lop sided, lol.

That's all at 500pts currently

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything said here seems to makes sense. The fluff of the army would dictate that yes, they fight in smaller numbers but because they act as gorilla warriors in their home terrain. Also looking at the book it seemed that they didn't really have a core unit that could do to well in combat. To put it quickly it seems to me that as a WE player I would want to dance around bigger units shooting them and trying to take off as many ranks as possible, then hit them in a flank or rear.

See as a lizardmen player I have no problem charging a unit with my saurus, and if I get another unit of something to flank that's only great, but for wood elves it seems necessary.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Its probably worth baring in mind that quite often the size of the board doesn't increase significantly when playing a large game. Fpr example I have often played a 1200-1500pt game at my local GW store on the same size board as I would play a 3000pt game.

A large board benefits Woodelves a lot because we have more room to dance around the enemy

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I think WEs do great in small games as our Core are great. Archers, Dryads, some Glade Riders, and Eagle are all great at 500 to 1000 pts. At 2000-2500, we can compete well with the best, though some matchups are particularly hard, but we have such a unique playing style that there are some advantages.Once you get above 2500, things get dicey. As already noted, enemy magic gets rough. And enemies that have access to things like hell cannons, hydras, repeater bolt throwers, abominations, or ugly special units like Black Guard or Chosen can suddenly field a lot of those big nasties. And to add more shooting to counter the enemy at bigger units, you start having to string together more and more archers, which takes up more deployment/movement space that your skirmishers need. And having multiple small units at big games suddenly means you have a crap load of little units all vying to get around his guys. Unless you're playing on a 4x8 instea dof 4x6 things get really cramped. Myself, I think it's hard to compete at 3000+ for woodies.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
Big games aren't subtle. There's less scope to control the table and scoot around the sides since the enemy can pay for the tools to neutralise those strengths, which leaves the game as a straight up fight (more or less) - Exactly the sort of things that WE can't handle very well.

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
I've found that certain armies scale better at different levels.
The higher the points get, the better the likes of Tomb Kings (magic) and Deamons (Bloodthirsters).
The lower the points get, the better each individual troops gets (Elven armies).

I think Visitor Q hit it on the head best though:
A large board benefits Woodelves a lot because we have more room to dance around the enemy
Most of the time, whether playing a 1000 point game, or a 3000 point, my group usually plays on a 6'x4' table.
The larger the game, the harder it is to find the hole in the enemy line to slip your critical units through to get that devastating flank charge.
Also our archer lines can start to crowd each other.

·
859 Posts
I may have to have a practice match with my EG and Treekin sometime soon. People are so down on them I feel sorry for them, lol.

Currently have two 4x4 tables, so could use 8x4 for a larger battle sometime against my other half, or perhaps Athel Loren vs a couple of other friends :D May have to get some stuff pinned and put together to give it a go.

On a 4x4 I usually get to play with three forests (and two hills) - how many forests do you guys generally get to play with on larger boards? I'm going to be building more and there's no point going overboard ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I regularly play 2500pt games and win with my Woodelves, its all about knowing which enemy units focus target, and what you 'Cant' touch until about round 6 when you charge them from front back and side.

played 3000 today vs VC with about 16 Casting Dice - I won, so it is doable. I will post my army list in a min.

·
Registered
375 Posts
3000pt list. - 7 dispel dice (with rerolles for all fails). - Bear Strength on alter (after HoD is fired) + Branch wraith.

THE LIST:

Spell Weaver lv4 (Lore of Beasts): Wand of Wych Elm, Glamour Weave (3+ Ward vs missliles and magic missiles)

Highborn, Forest Dragon: Armour (4+Ward vs magic mele), Trinket (3+save vs normal attacks), Annoyance of Netlings, Spear, LA, Shield.

Spell singer lv2, 1 x Disple Scroll, Calaingors Stave

Standard Alter: Hail of Doom, Helm of the Hunt

Branchwraith lv1: Cluster of Radiants

= 7 Dispel Dice with rerolls/ 9 Cast Dice

10 x Glade Guard
10 x Glade Guard
5 x Scouts
5 x Glade Rider
5 x Glade Rider
8 x Dryad

6 x Wild Rider <full cmd> Battle Banner
8 x Wardancer <musician>
8 x Wardancer <musician>

1 x Treeman
8 x Waywatcher

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone for the input. I'll make sure that my friend takes a look at this thread. Also thank you AJ200 for the list, nice little bit of info there.

·
1,258 Posts
Stinks though doesn't it? Having to build your list that way? With such a focus on magic. Look at how much you pay for it, relative to VC and DE? Not a bad list, but I would imagine to win you have to play conservatively, and make sure every hit counts. Beast is probably a good idea, against chariots and monsters with Beast Cowers. Scouts huh, that's interesting... never bothered with them myself. Reason behind them?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.