Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what's different about DA compared to vanilla, as I'm starting a SM force and want to be a shooty army (mainly because my most likely opponent is collecting nids). I know you can't give me exact rules but an overview of what differences there are would be great.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Dark Angels don't fall back from shooting, ever. Some of their units can be given the stubborn ability, which is like fearless except that you still have to take pinning tests.

Their first company doesn't have veterens, rather, it consists of only terminators and dreadnoughts. All of the terminators are stubborn. You can have an all-terminator force using the deathwing rules.

The second company is bikes and speeders. These get a 6+ invulnerable save if they move (including the speeders, which cost the same as normal SM speeders), and have some advantages from moving through difficult terrain. You can have an all-bike and land speeder force if you use the ravenwing rules.

All of their HQ are stubborn (except for ravenwing) and they have a few neat items, like the sword of secrets, a S6 power weapon, or the lion helm, which gives everyone within 3" a 4+ invulnerable save in the shooting phase.

Other than that, they're basically like any SM army. They used to be the only chapter to take plasma cannons in their tactical squads, but not anymore. They can't take scout bikers or veteren squads, but those aren't really great shooty units anyways.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good. Dark Angels it is then. Though I think I'll play a successor chapter, I want my own fluff and paint scheme.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Aidan said:
Also in CC with space wolves you hit on 3+ however this tends to help the SW.
Yeah, silly Bloodclaws hitting Assualt Marines on a 3+!

Still they dont like it when the Assault Terminators with Lightning Claws get at them.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Yeah. Even though DA are shooty based, they also have a close-combat combination better than any other SM chapter. However, you need 2 FOCs to use it to its maximum potential.

Chaplain on bike, cup of retribution (holy relic)
Librarian on bike, book of salvation (holy relic)
8 man Deathwing Terminator assault squad, lightning claws, furious charge

The chaplain and librarian just help the terminators. You charge the termies and reveal both holy relics, giving the termies +2 attacks. That's 48 S5 I5 attacks that ignore armour saves and re-roll to-hit and wound dice. So if you charge, say, 3 Space Wolf grey hunters squads, that's an average of 36 dead marines, so a total massacre result and about 540 pts cleared out. Throw in blades of reason on the chaplain and you'll pull in an extra 50 or so victory points in the end.

BTW, even though DA is shooty, you should have at least one assault unit that can kill an IC or sergeant with ease. With the hunting the fallen rules, you have a 1 in 6 chance of having to kill a character or independant character in assault.

Actually, you have to kill them in "close combat", so you could use a master of the ravenwing's special sword attack (the master of the ravenwing on speeder is a * pt speeder with a TL assault cannon, TL heavy bolter, 4+ invulnerable save and a S6 sword attack that ignores armour saves and can be allocated to any model you wish (as long as you were within 2" of it at some point int he movement phase).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts