Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
More infantry, a bunch of Chimeras, and as many meltagunners as you can manage (scrap build them from flamers and grenade launchers).

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
what about exterminator with plasma cannon sponson is that good idea?
I would start with a stock LRBT or LRDemolisher w/ hull heavy flamer. Exterminator+PC = big point sink target, especially when you do not have a lot of armor on the field to disperse enemy anti tank fire.

For a starter core list I would get.

Vets w/ meltas in a Chimera w/ HHF x 3
CCS w/ meltas in Chimera w/ HHF
Vets w/ meltas in Vendetta
LRBT stock (w/ HHF)

this will bring you to 1000 pts.

From there you can add a PBS in Chimera, a LRD and perhaps more infantry, ect...

PS. On a side note, this is a prime example of Heavy Stubbers being extra only if there's points left over. This 1000 pt list is too tight for even 1 stubber.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Here's a nice little 500 pt. starter list I came up with once:

HQ
70 Primaris Psyker

Troops
155 Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)
155 Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)

Fast Attack
120 3 Scout Sentinels w/Autocannons

Total: 500 pts.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
infantry platoons?
Depends on how you want to play your IG.

The strongest IG lists right now are Mech Vets, relying on Chimeras and BS4 meltaguns, with Vendetta support.

However, the great thing about IG is that you can build a lot of lists that still are strong enough for casual play :)

If you want platoons, arty and some tanks, go for it ;)

·
Registered
759 Posts
There are basically four main types of guard list.

Infantry swarm.
This list comprises of lots of guardsmen on foot backed up by insane amounts of heavy weapons. This army is really funny, but you will need to buy a lot of men to use it.

Mechanised
Probably the most competetive these days, this army consists of lots of veterans in chimeras, backed up by Leman Russ tanks, valkyries, and the occasional hellhound.

Airborne
An extremely fluffy but uncommon list, chiefly because of the price differnce between the valkyrie and the chimera. It is a devastating one though.

Hybrid

Probably the best list for a beginner, this list consists of mechanised veterans to take objectives, cheap platoons to hold them, Leman Russ tanks, Valkyries and Hellhounds to give support, and small units of stormtroopers to deep strike in and take out heavy tanks.

Heres another sample list. I've tried to take into account what you already have.

Command squad: Regimental Standard, three plasma guns, chimera...165

Veteran squad: Chimera, three meltaguns...155 (use kasrkin to represent these guys)

Platoon command squad: autocannon, 2 grenade launchers...50

Infantry squad: autocannon, grenade launcher...65

Infantry squad:autocannon, grenade launcher...65

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have been thinking of starting an Imperial Guard army, but couldn't find a list that I liked and was semi-competitive. The ones you have suggested sound great, and thanks all for posting here, it was really helpful for me <rep added>.

ChadMS, just out of curiosity, what would you do to make your list into a 1000pt list, add an additional one of everything you have there and swap the second Command Squad for a LRBT with a lascannon?

Thanks,
Aemilius

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Infantry with Russes?

hey guys, do you think tanks coordinating with infantry platoon would work?
& by that i dont mean chimeras i mean leman russes.

·
Registered
759 Posts
@Tacitus
Thankyou very much for the rep kind sir:)

In response to your question, what I would be more likely to do is add another veteran squad, and then some units with real firepower. In 500 points, it's easy to outnumber and out gun an opponent, but in 1000 points firepower becomes more important.

My 1000 point list would look something like this.

HQ
Command squad: Regimental Standard, three plasma guns,camo cloaks...130

Elites
Guardsman Marbo...65

Troops
Veteran squad: Chimera, three meltaguns...155

Veteran squad: Chimera, three meltaguns...155

Platoon command squad: autocannon, 2 grenade launchers...50

Heavy Support
Leman Russ: Lascannon...165

2 Hydras...150

@Me like OGRYN

Infantry platoons are more useful for camping on objectives than moving around with tanks. If infantry ever go forwards it is in big (and I mean BIG) mob. Leman Russes either sit at the back and shoot stuff to death, or else they go straight forward backed up by mechanised infantry (depending on what varient they are).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
so basically mech infantry charge is what would be good assistance to leman russ?
& im a newbie so i just thought of how cool it would be for a massive conscript attack with chenkov or something.
( should i field ogryns?)

·
Registered
97 Posts
nid swatter?

Just as a bit of expensive fun why not field a nid-swatter Punisher Rus with bolter, bolter sponsons & pintle stubber. Then put Pask onboard for 32 BS4 shots for 260pts, or doesn't it work like that?

Seriously though I would 'flesh out' the infantry using a batalion box to give you a total of 3 squads each with an autogun.
It also gives you an infantry command, a Sentinel & 5 men over to start a veteran squad with (+2 from the squad you have which you have put an autogun team in) & one man with a pistol arm, vox and other spare parts to make a master of ordinance with. Depending on wargear that's like only 230pts!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I think entrenchment/human wave type warfare scenarios can be really cool and dramatic. The siege of Vraks series has ideas for how to stage it, but ultimately it's going to need special house rules.

Is it realistic? Well trench warfare has happened with modern(ish) armies when the terrain is suitable and the forces are about even. The Iran-Iraq war is probably the biggest scale modern example. Check out this short documentary:
YouTube - Iran-Iraq War Documentary part 1

The issue will always be predictability. Large blob armies tend not to be very versatile so outside of specially adapted scenarios it's not going to take your regular foes many games to figure out how to beat you. The main advantage with mechanised forces is just that your troops are more flexible. They move faster and fare much better moving out into the open.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
May I ask why so many people like meltas with their squad and what a Chimelta is?
Chimelta = Chimera with Hull Heavy Flamer + troops with melta guns. Usually Vets with 3 Meltas. But it could also be a Company Command or Platoon Command with up to 4 meltas.

Meltas are tops because they're the best anti-tank weapon in the game, and are also great for killing enemy heros, monsterous creatures, and the last few Marines in a squad. Putting them in a Chimera protects the troops and gives you more range with them. Anywhere from 18 - 26 inches depending on whether you risk the squad by disembarking after the Chimera's move or not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts