Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This questions is regarding both games, 40k and Fantasy. So say you take a "balanced' list, aka you don't spam anything or exploit a broken/bad rule, with all the armies out there. There is no denying that some armies will destroy some armies and are just better than others.

So the question is what armies would win the most of the games against the other armies with a balanced list? What armies have a leg up so to say and it is easy to play a very competitive and winning? I'm looking for a list of whats the best to the worst.

Here is what I think based on what I have seen/heard on the forum, and from tournament outcomes.

1. CSM, Orks
2. SM, IG
3. Eldar
4. Nids, Tau
5.5 Dark Angels, Daemons (?)
6. Inquisition, Necrons
7. Dark Eldar
I have never played/seen Black Templars or Blood angels but what I have heard on the forum they are low on the list. And Space Wolves are really new I wasn't sure were to put them.

Fantasy
1. Daemons, VC
2. WoC, Dark Elves
3. High Elves, Lizardmen
4. Wood Elves,
5. Dwarfs, Empire
6. Bretonnians
7. Tomb Kings, Ogres, Orcs and Gobbos
8. Beasts of Chaos
Skaven are really new so I didn't place them.

So what do you think is the "best" army? Armies that i put in the same spot, to me seem on the same level so I didn't want to get really technical.

I am by no means an expert, I don't own all the books so I have not studied each and every army.

·
Registered
762 Posts
That questions is easily answered, which is the newest?
Im sure skaven and space wolves will soon take their spot at #1 or at least tied with 1 or 2

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
And the 40k Daemons list is pretty much terrible. There's one version, with Fateweaver and Bloodcrushers (which no-one would refer to as a 'balanced' list) which is competitive, but, in general, the book is virtually worthless.

·
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changed daemons, I guess when ever i have seen them play they play noobs/ not very good armies

·
Registered
248 Posts
I really don't think this thread is nessecary. You lose a game because the other player outplayed you in one way or another. Any army can beat any other army. No matter how cheesy or whatever you may call it. Those are just excuses. Mind you, I play Dark Eldar, Necrons, and Orks, and I don't believe for a second that one is better than the other.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Actually stug, some armies do have innate advantages over others because of army books/codices. in one edition of army book a spear may cost 5pts, GW then decide that is too pricey and lower the cost to 3 pts in all future army books.
So until the old 5pt army book is replaced it will have a disadvantage against the 3pt army books. Thus making some army books/codices "better" than others.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
If dark eldar are last, there is something very, very wrong.

DE are what you use when you want to make lash and nob bikers players cry like little girls - though such extreme marine killing power is offset by the fact the codex has some fairly serious issues at dealing with hordes (the green tide and all infantry guard are the most dangerous ones).

I would rate them at least a 3 (though probably 2).

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
When it comes to Warhammer (since this came up in WE recently...):

1-Daemons
2-Dark Elves
3-Vamps

4-Lizardmen
5-High Elves
6-Skaven
7-Wood Elves
8-WoC
9-Dwarfs
10-Empire
11-Brets
12-Tomb Kings
13-O&G

14-BoC
15-Ogres

Skaven are just that bit too random to reach the top tier or lead tier 2. They're good, but they're not going to have the consistency to overtake any of the big three or Lizardmen.

A lot of the middle ranking armies I'd put fairly close together (WE, Dwarfs, Empire) in terms of power, too.

WoC just sits above them due to their potentially nasty magic and generally brutal combat units. They're not tier 1 or 2 because they just don't have the flexibility - no skirmishers, no flying units and very little shooting means that if you can get around them they will have a tough time catching you.

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
I really think I'd put Empire above Dwarves. Empire puts out a better gunline, because they have cheaper stuff. In addition, they have core heavy cavalry, which gives them the melee hammer that dwarves lack, and they have Steam Tanks, which give them an even more impressive melee hammer (again, which dwarves lack) that also has a cannon on it. The two armies do virtually the same thing, but Empire seems to do it better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts