Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the Blood Dragons because they come with armor are better at combat and have some cool fluff

·
Lurking in the dark
549 Posts
Well, Strigoi are out of the question, they're just plain ugly :) And Lahmia, well, don't think so. Necrarch are cool, the closest I can come to matching my old previous-ed Undead army in magical powers. Blood Dragons are also okay, but a bit overused. Come on, everyone plays blood dragons ;).
That leaves me with my current army, Von Carsteins. Excellent all rounders, and a Bloodline power to die for: Aura of Dark Majesty. hubba, hubba ju ju!

I also happened to have three vC's from my old army. Man some hefty converting was required to make it a vampire army (*sob*, no more Arkhan the Black, no more 50% pts in characters, no more wight champion for every unit of zombies/skellies/ghouls, not to mention no more cheap _ethereal_ skellie horsemen), converted skellie cavalry to black knights, scratch built black coach, and more to come :)

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool all my characters are made from dark eldar pieces

·
Registered
8 Posts
Strigoi are the best! 5+ Ward save & regeneration- almost a Carstein Ring- and I'm stiil free to buy Bat Form or Iron Sinews & Summon Ghouls! Yes, they're ugly but they have as ugly hatred for all living, dead, deamons and so on...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nah, Von Carstein r0xx0r.

I suppose they all got their strengths though, Strigoi are pretty tough buggers and get some very nice bloodline powers, Necrarch gots the magic but loose fightyness, Blood Dragons are considerably CC orientes, no matter how you look at them but lack the magic oomph even a stigoi can muster and the good ol' Von Carsteins get a nice mix - and as well as the aura they get the ultimate scare merchant, summon wolves (watch them defend their war machines!)

But I like Von Carstein.... with the staff of damnation in a unit of 40 zombies.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and lahmians have the innocence lost hand of dust domination combo

·
1,019 Posts
I'm Necrarch.

I beef him up with summoning equipment and either stick him on a mount (so he can run away when those pikemen get close) or behind/inside hordes of skellies.

But i'm definately for having a Strigoi ghoul warhost.
Tough bastards those Strigoi...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool, but which powers and items do you choose? Many people prefer buying 5+ Ward save to those Necrarch but I think that we can just put them into a large unit of zombies or sth. like that. I once played this bloodline and I've changed it fast to Strigoi-they'll survive almost everything! Once an imperial general smiled shooting with two cannons at my lord. Then Nosferatu Zodd (as I called my vampire), after smiling in answer and regenerating, reaped annoying crews into pieces. It was nice to see my opponent's face.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Von Carlsteins are my favorites because of Aura of dark majesty , and Walking Death bloodlines.
When I give War banner to my Black knights , and take Thrall in this unit , Black Knights have +2 on CR (War banner , and Walking Death ). This is very , very bad for my opponents. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't pick one, they all rock in thier own way. Apart from the Von Carstiens, they're just the basic sterotype vampire, too boring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dwarves can get +n to combat resolution because of just one character! Von carstein are really boring but some people like them cause they're archetypal vampires. But Strigoi rulez!!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
my favourites are Blood dragons and Strigoi, im a Combat fanatic. right now im working on converting a Strigoi to look like a giant were-wolf, hopefully it will turn out alright.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm starting a VC army next month (thank God for Christmas present) and I have the army book but I'm confused with which bloodlines to choose so...IMMA BUY ALL!!...well if my financial situation permits that.

Anyway of all the bloodlines I find Lamiah and Blood Dragons the most interesting. How do these two play?

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Well Blood Dragons are one of the BEST combat monsters in the game, a properly tool up BD can take on a chaos lord and win. The best place for BDs are up front, they can cast magic while wearing armour but adds one less dice per turn. A good BD army will be fast but supported by blocks of infantry, if you wanted to keep with the fluff give all your skellies light armour and shield. Black Knights won't go amiss in a BD army neither would Grave Guard, both have killing blow, and if given Banner Of The Barrows will hit on 3+ every time. And both units could be said to be the Vamps honour/personnal guard (for fluff reasons). The BDs powers are aimed at combat, so it's like +1 A, killing Blow etc

Lamiahans use guile and suduction to win. They are pretty good spell casters (but not as good as Necarch), their blodline powers are meant to stop the enemy hitting her or increase her speed. She can't have mundane weapons or armour, but you don't want her to it's best to spend her pts on bloodline powers. Her army should be made mostly of skellies (Zombies are just to damn ugly), and she should be given protection of either GG or a large block of Skellies. Her powers are basically "you pass a LD test to attack her" etc.

Have you got the army book? If so read the stories behind each power and see ifit tickles your fancy. If I can help any more just let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yup I have the army book thats why I found Blood Dragons (the "misunderstood", like Necrons) and Lamiah (beautiful enchanting vampires and their seduction) most appealing to me. How do the rest of the bloodlines play? Von Carstein, Nercrarch (spelling?) and the ghoul fella?

Actually it was a tough choice between Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts (I like undead hehe) and I'm sold to VC in the end due to their really cool bloodlines and heroes. Like their fluff too :)

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Well Von Carsteins are your basic Vamps (Dracula comes to mind), but are the best all-rounders. They have some good bloodline powers, one allows you to increase the 12" march range of the Vamp to 18", summon wolves & bats and adds +1 to CR. Their armies would consist of anything. They will raise the dead from grave yards like all others, but they have good command of their army. The best position for a Von Carstein would be in the front of a skellie unit, this way he can make full use of his impressive combat skills and still cast spells.

Necrarch are the true spell casters of the VC armies. Their bloodline powers increase their spell casting potional and can increase range of spells, magic level etc. The basis of a Necrarch army would be lots of Zombies, the idea is a shambling, shuffling horde. A few skellies would also look good, but large units of zombies look best for them. Also thralls can become wizards, so even more chances to raise the dead. The best place for a Necarch is either slap bang center of a zombie/skellie unit or behind them.

Strigoi (or "the ghoul fella") these almost a contest with the BDs for combat monsters. These should be in combat as quickly as possible, here they can rip almost anything apart with the right bloodline powers. The powers will increase their combat efficiance eg +1S, +1W, re-roll failed to hit etc. The main force behind a Strigoi is ghouls, as you know from the fluff Strigoi are grave robbers (they rob the bodies to eat). The ghouls are the same, they eat human flesh and they should be the main force. Backed up units of zombies and skellies. Also max out of their powers as they can't have any magic items. Bat swarms would be good here as would fell bats, spirit hosts and wraiths. As you can imagine these in a grave yard.

But all in all don't rely on you Vamp to cast spells (even Necrarch), you should always take at least one necromancer. He will most likey be your spell caster especially in a BD or Strigoi army, but it's best to take two (one as scroll caddy).

I hope I've helped, if I can any more just let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dunno much about Fantasy rules, I only know some (I must say it's more tactical than 40K even in smaller battles). What I know is that I cannot field vampires in say 500-1000 pts game just some lord like the necromancers as general is that true? Can you help me decide what to buy first for my VC army? all the way to 1000-1500 pts? Right now I wanna play Lahmia and BD but after I get these I iwll get the rest of the bloodlines.

PS: after thoroughly reading the TK army book it gets harder for me to chose one of these two undead forces. Any suggestions about these 2 are so appreciated.

Thx for all the help King Ulkrik :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
You could field a Necrarch Thrall with Nehekwhatsits noble blood as your general, or have a necromancer as general and vampire thralls, still hellatough, as the other hero thingies.

I think lots of people devalue Zombies. I like Zombies. Lots of Zombies. but it's all a matter of preference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.