Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting an Ork army. I've bought 2 boxes of Slugga Boyz and I've bought a box of 5 Nobz. I want to start thinking about a Warboss now.

I've visited another forum and there seems to be an equal debate between a:

-Mega Armoured Warboss
(S10 on Attacks, 2+ Armour Save, Attacks Last, and Moves in as if in Difficult Terrain)

OR

-'Eavy Armoured Warboss with Bionik Bonce and a Power Claw and Choppa
(Choice of faster S5 attacks, or slower S10 attacks, 3+ Armour Save )

Cybork Body, Big horns/Iron gob, and a Bosspole are agreed on as neccesities for Warbosses.

So, which Warboss in your opinion is better, and if you have a different Warboss, what do you equip him with?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use three attack squigs!!!! To get three buy the warboss with the attack squig and use rippers (Tyranid) For the other two.... 6 extra attacks is nice....
I personally like the faster one.. Because if his trukkblows up he isn't a sitting duck... He's a moving ork! :D And also I'de give him this...

Shoota/melta
Choppa
3 attack squigs
Bionik bonce
'Eavy armor
Big horns
Boss pole
Frag/ Krak stikbombz
And or Tank busta bomz (or meaning not the krak bombz)
Cybork body

I know I'm forgetting somthing... But I'm to lazy to get the codex...
Mount him in a watrukk with 5-10 nobz... (I like 5... 10 is WAY to big of a taget to have, But in 2750-... It helps...) Anywayz... Glad to see another warboss!

Power to the WAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

·
Registered
222 Posts
i always give eavy armors to all my nobs and warboss. the amount of saves you prevent usually always makes up their points worth. (almost like you save 23 pts every save succeeded).

·
Registered
735 Posts
First a few words on mega-armor. First the bad; It is expensive as far as points. It is slow. On the up side however it gives a good save and has a PK. [power klaw, for all you non Orks]
I would take a mega armored boss in a truk or battlewagon, or a KOS list.

Other useful gear....essential is the big horns/iron gob. Bionic bonce if not in mega armor, as well as eavy armor.
Cybork body gives an invulnerable save against those pesky power weapons, so if you can afford the points get the upgrade.
There is a hot debate about the usefulness of a PK on a warboss, as this negates his awesome initiative value and potential WAAAGH initiative.
I go for the standard weapons on my boss, so he always strikes first...choppa and slugga. Getting an extra attack as well.
I use a boss pole and banna wava with my boss.
A warboss is a close combat monster...use it.
WAAAGH!

·
Registered
849 Posts
My Boss is equipped with Mega Armour, Kombi Rokkit/Shoota, Stikkbomb Chucka, and he is mounted in a Wartrukk. Sadly, I haven't been able to obtain a box of Nobz, so he is alone in the Trukk for now. Later, I'm planning to get three Cave Squigs from Fantasy and use them as attack Squigs for him as well. Hey, he may attack last, but against most odds, he's stronger and has a 2+ save. That's what I think anyway....

·
Registered
735 Posts
Vampiric_Drake8, I see your point, I think the attack squigs will help soak up some wounds. Good idea.
I use my warboss with a unit of skarboyz on foot mostly, so the armor would just slow me down. The 20 skarboyz act as a nice meat shield to soak up incomming fire and wounds. My skar boy nob has a PK, which I use for tougher stuff.
WAAAGH!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll add my 2 cents in there...

Squigs have seperate bases and do count for your total number of units, although they can't be targeted specifically for hits, they can be hit by blast weapons.. so...

That also means they could for your army average armor value...

So, in the case where you have 1 leader with 3 squigs, that squad has an armor save of 6+ when being fired at (the majority of the squad has 6+).

That's another reason I never spend the point equiping a nob in a grunt unit with special armor, waste of points. If they get obliterated in a blast of gunfire, he'll hardly EVER get to use his armor value in a fight.

So I like to keep my leader light and relatively cheap. I'll do the armor and bonce for him only when he's leading a descent sized group of similarly equipped nobz (count on a 400+ point hq unit).

·
Registered
849 Posts
No offense fabel, but what your saying doesn't really make sense to me. Your telling me that if I have a squad with three Squigs and a Boss in Mega Armor, he doesn't get the 2+ save? That makes no sense. If they were actually fighting, the squigs would just die first, the boss wouldn't get killed more easily because of them......

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you read the rules in the ork codex on mixed armor types, you'll see that the squad takes the armor value of the ones that are in the majority. The whole squad. So if 10 guys have 6+ save, and your nob has 3+ save, your whole squad gets to save at 6+ UNTIL your nob is alone, then he gets his full save. You do not get to roll seperately for each model.

So if your leader was alone with 3 attack squigs, then according to the rules as I've read them is that your leader won't get the mega-armor save... so if you can rip enough bolts into a leader and a few squigs, your leader will drop without getting his saves (which is kinda lame IMO).

Anyway, check the codex.

·
Registered
735 Posts
fabel, You are right sorry, forgetting my codex...I'm gonna go out and beat on some grots to make atonement...WAAAGH!

·
Registered
849 Posts
The one thing that you don't consider thou is that the Squigs and boss are NOT a unit.... He still counts as an independent character!! So the squigs count as wargear and are not included in the save section you mentioned.... Only Orks count for counting heads!! Don't forget that.... So the boss can still take his 2+ save, because the Squigs can't be targeted for wounds!! They're just there for the extra attacks... Cheers..... Vampiric_Drake8

·
Registered
131 Posts
I dont like tooling out my HQ section. I consider it too much points for not enough stuff. A Warboss with proper retinue can get up to 300pts and more. I usualy just take a Warboss with 2 choppas and hide him in mobs of boys. My Warboss tends to die in the 1st or 2nd turn (damn S8 and S10 ordinance) so i dont spend too much points on them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did some more poking, and I figure that you're 1/2 right, 1/2 wrong. The mixed armour section is clear that only orks count for that roll, so I agree sort-of. Because of the faq below, it does get a little tricky.

From the faq...

Q. When a character with Squigs (Attack or Hound) or Grots as wargear dies, are the wargear removed as well? On the one hand they are wargear and so should go with the character, but on the other they are models with a profile of their own.

A. Hmm. Tempting as it is to keep Grots and Squigs in play, I think they are going to have to be removed if the character dies, to prevent all sorts of weirdness breaking out. Also, Grots and Squigs do become part of the squad their character is part of, so they do count toward the number of losses it sustains when working out whether or not the squad has taken 25% casualties from shooting. They also count toward casualties in close combat. If removed as part of the loss of their character they are with, they are counted as casualties as well.

Further...

In the codex...

"Some Ork wargeear takes the form of Gretchin slaves or squigs (...). Grot slaves and squigs must be represented by a separate model and become part of whichever mob the character they are with belongs to. They must also stay within the 2" coherency distance of the unit."

So, as they count for being in a squad, you get the benefits for having them with your leader, but having them means your independent character is now in a squad of wargear. Strange, but it works out that way from what I can see.

Not trying to be difficult or anything... Also...

pg74 of the rule book...

"Independent characters are represented by individual models, which fight as units in their own right."

As its not an individual model, it can't be an independent character.

·
Registered
849 Posts
But the odd thing is, can't the warboss still join friendly units? Anyway, this is getting out of hand, so I'll stop it here. I think I'll do what I need to, and you do what you wish, fabel. I compliment your research ability and have read those articles myself, but never thought to put two and two together!! I'll buy the Squigs, and my Boss will still have Mega-armor, and I'll take our little debate into consideration the next time I play....

·
Registered
22 Posts
more stupid consequences of that...

I asked our local town experts about this, and they all thought that orcs with gretchin or squig wargear would not count as 'independent characters'.

This has the following consequences:

1) A character with squigs/gretchin as wargear wouldn't be allowed to join other units.

2) Since he's not an independent character, you can choose him as a target even if they are within 6" of another viable target (as per shooting rules on pg75).

3) Since he's not an independent character, he doesn't get the character movement bonus (pg 74 of the rulebook). This makes some sense, as the grots and squigs need to move through the terrain as well as their boss.

This question, in my mind, would be a good one for the rule boyz.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looking at my tau i would say that if your warboss is accompanied by squigs and grots he is still an independant character in the respect that he can join other units. But by taking squigs and grots he becomes a mini unit and cannot claim to be within 6" of the target.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I give my warboss: 'Eavy armour, Big Shoota, choppa, Bionic bonce+arm, cybork body, iron gob, Waaagh! banner, frag+tankbusta stikkbomz. My nobz get the same minus the gob and banner. They still ge lotsa attacks, and can do sum shootin ( they once killed 5 marines, FROM SHOOTING! :eek: )

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.