Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...a Callidus, Marbo combination?

Lets keep the thought process about points out of the discussion, and more to the combination between the two. Also assume I've got the +1 to my reserves roll.

If they both came in the same turn, and marbos detpack failed to completely wipe out the target, the followup by the Callidus would almost certainly do so. From that point on, Marbo and the Callidus would draw immense fire, yet should they get into melee, they would be able to cause considerable damage.

Tactically, if it should not be viable to place both down side by side (such as marbo with a high chance of complete wiping out a squad), the two would work in tandem to split up the enemy force if they're on foot. Between the two of them, and sheer number of attacks, they could theoretically (though somewhat unlikely) fight a Monstrous creature. If there is a large group of infantry that need to die, the two could easily deal with them (almost regardless of what they are).

Marbo is great in melee, but he dies too often to counter-assault. The Callidus would alleviate that with the C'Tan Phase Sword, high Initiative, lot's of attacks, and S4.

What would you guys think of it? (Again, don't include the points into the equation. I run an Inquisitor lord on a semi-regular basis anyway)

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
It sounds like a good plan. I have a buddy who runs a Callidus pretty religiously, and has excellent luck with it. I can only assume that the combination of these two will be deadly, and difficult to pull off, but when done correctly, will kill just about anything.

·
Official Lol Cannon
970 Posts
It sounds like they would work together very nicely. But out of curiosity how many points will it be together?

·
Registered
267 Posts
(such as marbo with a high chance of complete wiping out a squad) ... Marbo is great in melee
i think that you are greatly exagerating how good marbo is in combat. if he runs into a unit of 10 marine he is going to die. he gets 6 attacks on the charge, this means he will get on average 4 hits and 3 or 4 wounds. this means that 1 or 2 marines will die. this means there will be 9 attacks from the marines onto marbo. 4 or 5 hit, 3 or 4 wound, he loses 2 or 3 wounds. he dies. so where is this combat monster you were talking about thet can take out entire units by himself???

·
Registered
142 Posts
i think that you are greatly exagerating how good marbo is in combat. if he runs into a unit of 10 marine he is going to die. he gets 6 attacks on the charge, this means he will get on average 4 hits and 3 or 4 wounds. this means that 1 or 2 marines will die. this means there will be 9 attacks from the marines onto marbo. 4 or 5 hit, 3 or 4 wound, he loses 2 or 3 wounds. he dies. so where is this combat monster you were talking about thet can take out entire units by himself???
cKerensky says "it should not be viable to place both down side by side (such as marbo with a high chance of complete wiping out a squad)" which should not be taken out of the context of the intial drop and the inevitable Det pack which with a good roll could easily almost take down an entire squad. Equally, using a 10 man squad of space marines is an extreme use of the word infantry don't you think?

Indeed, I use this combination a lot, it is wonderful to use and really causes problems for the opposition, especially as Marbo will easily dispatch enemies with high toughness and low save due to his poisoned weapon, whereas the Callidus will slaughter enemies with moderate/low toughness and a high save and/or invulnerable save. I would however question the real need for an Astropath though, for whos cost you could aquire over half an infantry squad!

Equally, the assumption that these two will drop in at the same time is flawed unless you bring them into battle later on, which isn't a particularly good idea. Remember that Marbo cannot assault on the turn he drops, and so will need to be dropped behind some sort of cover (possibly the remnants of the tank that fell victim to his det pack? ;) ). The Callidus however can, and so she is able to be dropped into areas where cover is sparse. Also, remember to make good use of her jump back ability to avoid counter assaults, though do not limit it to this. I tend to jump her out all the time in the opponant assault phase, especially against large, hopefully low-leadership squads to allow for the Ld template weapon and then the additional attack for charge.

The 2 things you cannot forget about the Callidus are:
1) Word in your ear: This is really useful, despite the number of people who neglect it. I use it to put heavy weapons troops behind cover so they have to spend a turn moving into somewhere they can see or failing this, putting combat squads behind ranged squad so they have to go around etc. You can also use it to bunch up enemy units as he will not think to waste shooting to spread them out, at which point you callidus comes in and shoots, charges, jumps out, shoots, charges, jumps out and repeats until all are dead.
2) The thing that EVERYONE forgets, the insignificant S4 hit at the end of combat, remember it, it can turn games!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good points Orthanus. I was aware Marbo could not assault, and was not building a plan around them only ever coming in on the same time, though the prospect was a strong one. This was exactly how I was planning on running the pair. They've got some strange synergy there.In another life, Marbo would be an assassin with the order!

Curly: Squad of 10 marines, brought down to 2 by a detpack, then entering combat with a WS5,I5 ,5 attack, 2+ to wound monster? That, in your words, not mine, is the combat monster I am talking about. If he survives that, and works with the assassin, the two would most certainly carve their way through enemy squads.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You also have to take it into the context of the points cost. 10x marines kitted up is around 200 points, marbo is 1/3 of that.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Killed 2 marines? Big whoop. Rambo is a fun gimmick, if only for his detpack, but combat monster he most certainly is not.

S4 doesn't make a combat monster either. The Callidus is neat for moving 1 unit around, but by herself she is unimpressive.

That's a lot of points (don't forget the Inquisitor Lord you need to get the Callidus) for a very underwhelming series of events.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I like it! I think it would be a great idea, but the army I run is Pure IG. Politics get in the way when Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters start being allies with me. Now multiple Marbos...we might be onto something. Or a squad of Marbos!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Killed 2 marines? Big whoop. Rambo is a fun gimmick, if only for his detpack, but combat monster he most certainly is not.
You misread:

Squad of 10 marines, brought down to 2 by a detpack.
I didn't kill 2. I killed 8.

I run an inquisitor lord on a semi-regular basis anywa. Fluff wise I run my IG as a Grey Knight Detachment, as opposed to a pure IG force (The Cadian Silvershields). IG is my main army, but almost always (in a friendly match), include GKs of some sort.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Killed 8 marines? Were they having a hug or something? Leaving marines in the open is a bad move, especially against IG, Rambo or no Rambo.
I've done similar with marbo before. Relies on a bit of luck, but if you infiltrate him in right next to a rhino and then shoot at the rhino with some AT, if you explode it he can then detpack the bunched survivors.

I even once did this to a Land Raider full of termies. Killed the LR and 3 terminators in the same turn.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Killed 8 marines? Were they having a hug or something? Leaving marines in the open is a bad move, especially against IG, Rambo or no Rambo.
Often marines end up in the open, especially against IG. And Marbo sports a toxic blade (2+). So his strength 4 is irrelevant.

I like the Marbo Callidus Team. Even though I never use Callidus. My word in your ear? I don´t play with THAT dirty tricks;)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Marine transports tend to be pretty easy to kill (barring the stupidly expensive land raider, of course). Dismounting a squad isn't exactly a difficult feat.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Yep, and they dismount 2" away from the wreckage (or inside if it wrecked) and usually get cover. It takes a lot of work (or a lot of stupid :p) to get all of them bunched under 1 pie

Also, Rambo doesn't ignore armor. So, even charging, he might get 1 kill and then get mugged to death. By Tactical Marines.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
First off, said transport blew up, it wasn't wrecked.

Second off, unless Kerensky's been cheating and using the wrong template, that was a large blast he threw at me.

Third off, I had them bunched up under cover to hide from a lemon russ, and *then* what's-his-face showed up and nuked the squad.

:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts