Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You know, asking what army is the 'strongest' won't accomplish much, since everyone has their favorites and all the armies are supposed to be balanced in gamed play.

I mean its more like a game of rock, paper, scissors. This army tumps that army which trumps this army which trumps the first one. Or more typically this unit trumps that one ect.

At worst this thread will start a flame war and will probably get closed by a mod whenever it is noticed.

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be so annoyed. At least you used proper spelling and punctuation.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
Not to be an arse, but I think you may have put this in the wrong section by accident.

Anyhow, the strongest army in Warhammer right now is without a doubt Skaven. Even the guy who wrote the book (Chambers?) came out and apologized for some of the insanely powerful things that he put in it.

If you want a broken army that will make your opponents hate you personally, then just go play a Clan Skyre army and you'll be set.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I totally agree with Grey, and $H0urg1ass you should know better than to allow this kind of thing. As Grey said, this sort of post doesnt really have a point, every army is, for lack of a better term, balanced with the others.

As an example lets go to the rulebook, in which i believe it has a short section in which it details the difference between a basic Orc and Man, saying that even though the Orc is tougher the Man has a higher initiative. This, with a bit of luck, means that the Man could defeat the Orc, or vice versa, which means you have to plan for that sort of thing.

You see, every army has strengths and weaknesses so the generals (players) have to use their minds and not just shell out money and points for the best piece in an army.

Warhammer is, for all intents and purposes, a war strategy game, so instead of asking which is best, pick one you like then ask how do i play it to be the best?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I agree with sonofslaanesh (I'm sorry, but could you possibly decrease the size of your text please? It really is annoying and hard to read...for me at least...). There is no "strongest" army, in my opinion that is a pretty stupid question. By strongest do you mean easiest to play for a newbie? Do you mean the army that is potentially the cheesiest? Basically, and army can be powerful with the right general and a good list. Each army has it's own strengths, weaknesses and advantages, they all play differently (almost...). I would suggest picking an army you like the look of (then you will actually like making and painting the models) and one that better suits your play style. The chances are that the "strongest" army for you will be different than the "strongest" army for someone else. If you want to start a discussion about the different armies then post it in a suitable section of the site (ie not a specific army section like the Dark Elves) and maybe change the title/theme of the thread to something more sensible.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know how it is, when I was new I just lurked around for a week or so and then I saw how it was done, then came the first post and such.

And a flame war is starting a thread that enables people to insult or "flame" things over and over, usually starting bad arguements and from what I hear the fall of Atlantis.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Why are skaven considered to be too powerful? (I have never actually played them before so I don't know....Hence I am asking :w00t: ). Surely they have their weaknesses (although I have heard that their rattling guns, warpfire cannons etc are very powerful....).
If GW has apologised for them being made too powerful then I guess Skaven are the clear winner.....although I have heard that a lot of the Storm of Chaos lists can be very powerful....

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
All the posts so far have been relevant there is no one army that is all powerful, if there was a strongest army it would be a hairs breadth stronger than the next. Saying if you go along the route that which army can create very powerful/frustrating combinations of troops I would have to go for skaven (though apparently they will be toned down) or Undead any army that is completly unbrakable can summon more troops and causes fear has alot going for it in my book. Not saying it is unbeatable by any stretch but I think for an inexperienced player it is a hard nut to crack.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't think it can be said that Skyre are ridiculously powerful;

Jezzails- Str5, armour penetration, 20pts

Dwarf Thunderers, or those pesky wood elf archers can be much more devastating. I've had games where my dark elf crossbowmen have blasted chunks out of everything on the table.

Warp Lightning Cannon- 100pts

It's got a randomised str, so your 100pt warmachine can in the first turn do an incredible 15 inch str 2 shot across...uh nothing?

Poisoned Wind Globadiers- 10pts each

Replaced min unit size to 5, and this becomes a nicely balanced and colourful unit to add to the skaven army.

Warlock, fully tooled up, storm daemon (about 110pts)

GW need to hang their heads over this thing, it's truly Godlike.

But, you can make a cheesy army list now out of any army, Dark Elf city guard 8 bolt throwers for example- least skaven have to get within 15 inches to let loose with their ratling guns.

What about 500pt Daemonic Legion army lists- entire army has a 5+ ward save, causes fear, and can be immune to psychology? I do agree that skaven could be toned down slightly, but I certainly don't think they are unbeatable. (which is what a few people seem to be suggesting)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts