Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know if people mostly used just actual wood elves, just forest spirits or a mix? i have 2 armys. one forest spirit and one just wood elves, both are painted winter themed. Anyways i just wanted to know, u can leave army lists too :yes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think as for as most competitive lists you gotta go with a mix. But I also plan on doing a straight forest spirit army, if for no other reason,I like the idea of trees smacking guys around.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I use a mix. i think it looks better with the theme and the background. I also have at least one hero of each type in my army to embodi the allaiance betweeen the Asrai and the forrest.
Plus it is a solid army that can take a hit.

Good Hunting!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well i personally use both because they are made to function together.The good asrai archery. and the brute force of the forest spirits.

·
Registered
999 Posts
nanfoodle said:
Well i personally use both because they are made to function together.The good asrai archery. and the brute force of the forest spirits.
i totally agree. Forrest sririts pack a huge punch in CC. and Gg can blast everything away:shifty:

Reactions: nanfoodle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Asrai weakness, I think.

I had my heart pinned on Asrai only, but I tend to get my butt kicked by toughness 4 dudes. I played a 1000 pt. battle against Dwarfs. I could hit them really well, but needing 5's for wounds and he also getting a 5+ armor save, I just couldn't do much. Aside from his cannon blowing up, I didn't do much damage.

The mix is probably where I need to go for balance. My magic does well and treesinging is great for annoying the opposition but you definitly need more bang. With an Asrai army, if you don't win combat and make them flee on your charge, kiss them goodbye.

Who has had some luck with eternal guard? I haven't used them yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah i got a great story where my spell singer used tree singing and moved a tree into a bretonian knoight regiment and took out 3 of them.Any who to answer about the eternal gaurd i have tried them and they I think for them to do good there needs to be at least 20 but with that many there pretty damn good with all of there attacks and then give them the spell that gives them +1 attack and they are amazing:yes: .Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question about Treesinging.

Do I choose to either move woods D3 +1 or to attack. If I choose the latter, can I ram the woods in to units and cause the damage or do they have to be within the woods to get the damage?

·
Registered
999 Posts
yank said:
Who has had some luck with eternal guard? I haven't used them yet.
i use a 17 strong unit + my Highborn general. they are the centre of my army and have beaten numerous black orc regiments (i play mostly against O&G)
They do also very wel against TK skeletons.

Use them, they are really good (and also rather cheap in points):yes:

Good Hunting!

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
as long as it touchs the unit then they will get damage on them.

·
Registered
999 Posts
my standard army (i'm using it in a friendly tournie at the moment) has a unit of EG with highborn, aunit of treekin, 2 units of dryads, treemand, GG. atc.
The only thing i need is some speed, i was thinking about a nice unit of wild riders on one flank.

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
I play an all Asrai 'Night Elf' list (painted in the Night Elf theme from the Warcraft series).

I have to say, that at smaller point games (1000), I dominated nearly every opponent I faced. Maximizing the strategy: marchblock-missile fire-panic check, is rather easy when your opponent lacks the elements to counter such things.

However, in 2000 points, I have only won once (against a Beast of Chaos army using mostly ogre sized creatures) and tied once against Brettonians. Each other time, I have been soundly crushed.
It is easier to negate my strategy at this point level, as the opponent has a better access to elements in his army that allow so (skirmishers, meat shields) whereas in a 1000 pt game, the enemy is going to have very little to do such things.

So, I think that, as an Asrai player, the larger games would be much easier if I allied with some forest spirits (something that, right now, I'm not willing to do on the sake of my theme). Their added punch, flexibility, fear, and staying power could easily turn the tide in most situations.

Alternatively, I would imagine the same for a predominately forest spirit army. I recken their strength, number of attacks, and ward saves would dominate smaller games. However, certain weaknessess can be more easily exploited the higher points get (the inability to flee from a charge is a great example). So, I would wager that in order to be fiercly competitive, you'd have to take a mixture of both.

On Eternal Guard:
This is probably my favorite unit in the whole game. Interesting fluff with coinciding rules that don't make the unit too over the top.
I like to run units of 12 with full command, and usually joined by a Noble who uses an item that can cause/negate fear. Because, I have found that this is the best way to beat stubborn; use a fear causing unit.

Typically, in smaller games, I run one unit with an Eternal Guard Noble with the Amber Pendant and Gwytherc's Horn.

This ensures that on the critical turn where I need to charge the flank of a Zombie unit, or some other fear causing beast, I won't sit shaking in my boots. And the Amber Pendant is great, because I'm still a bit dodgy on using block infantry (heh, the rest of my army is skirmishers, fast cavalry, flyers or archer units who don't move much), so even with my high movement rate, I can't always guarantee myself the charge.

On strategy, I usually put my Eternal Guard either next to, or in between some Glade Guard units. Since the enemy is going to want a piece of the Eternal Guard, they'll come to you, while you blast away with accurate arrow fire.
Or, if they decide to stand back and shoot you, you can advance quite candidly, knowing that in most cases, your shooting is going to be better, so he has to choose whether to neutralize your archers, and let the EG through, or visa versa.

One last thing, if you decide to run 12 Eternal Guard like I do, be aware that they are one of the finest fighters you can get for 12 points, but don't overestimate them. They can't charge the front rank of a Skeleton unit and win, nor can they hold up to a chariot charge of any kind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i use a unit of 24 eternal guard in 1500pt games. you need 24 because your opponent will throw everything he has at it. Stick a highborn with great weapon in it and you can take on 10 chaos knights which have charged you (Like what i did :yes: )

·
Registered
999 Posts
i wield 17 EG with full comm and my general highborn with the KB spear.
the EG can stand up against pretty anything (exept the bullcharge of a tyrant and ironguts) and my highborn can challange any caracters and give them a run for there money.
i always have them at my centre with my treekin and Gg on one flank and uasually wardancers and GG on the other.

i love it!

Good Hunting!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i usually use a highborn with alter kinred, bow of loren and arcane bodkins. 5 shots with no armour saves and starting at 1+ to hit (i know 1 always fails ;) ) Move him 18 " a turn and i doubt you'll be cause by enemy rank and file troops. Well thats what i take anyways :yes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dude....YOU ARE MY HERO!I somehow never thought of doing that before.Thank you for giving me the idea for that!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol no problem :) anyway i played a game and i figured out that taking alter kinred on a highborn with helm of the hunt works well too. 18" charge and 6 str 6 atks on the charge :yes: and also u can just run around them shooting them rank and file troops all day long... BOOM!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts