Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im FINALLY buying my Eldar. I have a decent amount of aspect warriors, but I dont like fielding them out of transports, as Eldar transports are amazing for protecting them from harm, and are generally good tanks.

The main problem is a squad of Aspect Warriors in a Serpent usually comes to about 250-300 points, meaning your on average going to get about 4 squads >.<.

So, what are the necessary components to a list like this, i think 2 Dire Avenger squads are a must, but then what.

Also, what should the Wave Serpents get?

Thanks a tonne

Arch

·
Registered
852 Posts
3 Falcons, Lots of Serpents, That's about it, really. Maybe some jetbikes if you like them.

Something like..

10 DA
Exarch
Sword+Pistol
Bladestorm
Serpent
BLances
Cannon
Stones

10 DA Exarch
Sword+Pistol
Bladestorm
Serpent
BLances
Cannon
Stones

Falcon
Vectored
Holo
Stones
Cannon
Scatter

Falcon
Vectored
Holo
Stones
Cannon
Scatter

Falcon
Vectored
Holo
Stones
Cannon
Scatter

6 Harlies
6 Kisses

6 Harlies
6 Kisses

6 Dragons

Then build around there.

-J

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was helpful, please elaborate :)

Arch

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a bit dull, when i think mech i want more Aspect Warriors. Sort of Biel Tan like.

Not just Falcons:0

Hmmm, keep this thread alive, i have a feeling it could help many a young eldar players, if it blooms and grows ;)

Arch

·
Registered
131 Posts
Try this:

HQ - 110pts
Autarch - 110pts
Autacrh w/ Jetbike, Power Weapon - 110pts

Elites
Fire Dragons w/ Wave Serpent - 306pts
Exarch w/ Tank Hunters - 43pts
Fire Dragons x5 - 16pts (x8) = 96pts
Wave Serpent w/ T-L Scatter Lasers, T-L Shuriken Catapult, Vectored Engines - 135pts

Troops - 604pts
Dire Avengers w/ Wave Serpent - 292pts
Exarch w/ 2 Avenger Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm - 44pts
Dire Avengers x10 - 12pts (x9) = 108pts
Wave Serpent w/ T-L Missile Launcher, T-L Shuriken Catapult, Vectored Engines - 140pts

Dire Avengers w/ Wave Serpent - 292pts
Exarch w/ 2 Avenger Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm - 44pts
Dire Avengers x10 - 12pts (x9) = 108pts
Wave Serpent w/ T-L Missile Launcher, T-L Shuriken Catapult, Vectored Engines - 140pts

And that's 1000pts. Now that's small, but I find you always get that if you want a mech army, however, this is the only 1000pt mech army I've gotten to work for me, and by work i mean my opponent and I always ended with a draw. I didn't have enough to kill him with and he could keep up with me lol. (I lied lol, I just remembered I won once when the objective was to secure a building lol)

I hope that helped a little, but I'm sure that someone here can help you out more :).

Cheers,
Scott

·
LO Zealot
1,331 Posts
Becareful of mech armies that concerntrate on falcons and waveserpents because these end up very small with little in ways of offensive power. scooter_booter88 gave a good example of that.

In your average 1500pts list also consider all the other options such as:

Jetbikes
Shining Spears
Vypers
Warp Spiders
Fire Prisms

Waveserpents may be reliable but you pay alot of points to get them, so I would personally field only one with Dire Avengers inside, then go for Jetbikes including a Warlock with a Singing Spear and Destructor to fill in the gaps for troops choices. Why? Jetbikes are cheap, even with the Warlock upgraded and they have the ability to use hit and run tactics to avoid getting shot to peices. When the time is right a Wave Serpent drop with Dire Avengers can deal the killing blow. Note that Dire Avengers don't certify a kill even if dropped off perfectly, so this is why softening up units is important before hand.

Shining Spears offer an Autarch on a bike an excellent retinue that can pound heavy infantry in close combat. Note that this needn't be thier only task as they are armed with Twin linked shuriken catapults just like other jetbikes, so they can happily support the regular gaurdian jetbikers in shooting until the time to assault is just right. Also note that laser lances and star lances or "lance" weapons, and can penetrate tank armour in desparate situations.

Vypers are cheap, and coupled with jetbikes can fullfill a bulk of the shooting and number problems you may encounter.

Warp Spiders are excellent because of their hard hitting weaponry and fast moving nature, meaning they won't be left in the dust. These are very reliable infantry units for a mechanised list.

Lastly of what I pointed out there's the Fire Prism, cheaper than the Falcon because it only needs the main cannon (purchased around 160pts fully upgraded), it will add invaluable fire power to the list whilst maintaining mobility so it can catch up with those vypers and jetbikes.

So in summary you need to watch out for numbers when dealing with a mechised list. Try not to think of it as a transport army (unless thats what you're looking for) as Eldar are far beyond just that unlike the mechanised Witch Hunters as an example. Do consider the cheaper fast moving units to bulk up the force so you'll have numbers and hitting power whilst maintaining the mobility a mechanised list has. The units I mentioned above as well as the ones mentioned previous to my post are perfectly viable, I would just warn off using too many wave serpents. Further details on those units can be found in the tactica linked under my signiture. Remember, the more units you have the more flexible your army becomes when playing as you'll be opened up to more options in what you can do.

·
378 Posts
Aspect heavy mecha?

Exactly what I have fielded for the past years! =)

My current army was composed of

Autarch on bike with lance and mandi: great heavy hitter in HtH, good for mopping up stuff after a nice round of fire.

2 units of Avengers on serpents (serpents with EML): move around, take pot shots at tanks with your EMLs and when you find the right target, disembark and Bladestorm it whith the hole unit (it's a lot of shots and even termi armour can't hold too much to them). Keep the unit behind the wave serpent when you disembark: serpent doesn't block line of fire, but blocks path for assault purposes, which means you are shielded in case the other unit decides to counter charge you.

1 tooled up Falcon with SLaser and 6 firedragons inside: some say they like it, some say they're c**p... I personally like them. Falcon just stays there and shoots the hell at anything, probibally only on the first turn and then gets stunned due to all the fire that it receives. Once it can't shoot you just move it up and disembark the dragons near some bothersome tank or big expensive and small unit. Quite easy...

Shining spears: retinue for the autarch. they try and stay out of harms way for most of the game and just charge in to clean up the mess that the avengers did, killing the last stragglers of the shoot-out. Very important: give the exarch Hit and Run as from the second turn of HtH they are quite c**p in HtH...

Warp Spiders: my all time favourite! Higly mobile, high strength and high rate of fire weapon, they just move up on a flank and take shots at anything big (monstrous creatures with high Toughness) (who cares of armour saves... you'll be shooting at least 10 shots at him, so one should wound... and once the creature is wounded it gives you VPs, so half the wrk is done!) or any low armour (even rear is good) on vehicles while on the last turns they run around capturing any objectives that might be needed.

And that sums it up.

Always had fun with this list, never found anyone calling it cheesy... hope you can find all I have written somewhat useful! =)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I might have to try that idea sometime...if I can pull myself away from my Pathfinders lol. I think you've helped me more than the thread starter lol.

Cheers,
Scott

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
ok stuff for mech:

1. troops : DA in serpents as you say, gie the exarch dual cats as that is all he needs, as for weapons on the serpent, then it depends, but I like BL as they are a good source of AT, ultimatley it depends on how you want the serpents to work

OTher stroops: Guardians, particularly stormies accompanied by an autarch or Yriel are vastly under rated in serpents

Bikes are okish but dont fit that well with mech,

rangers/pathfinders - lord no

WG can work in serpents but not as troops obviously

2. HQ: tough one, farseers tend not to be able to do much from inside a serpent/falcon, as abive autarchs can lend punch to units, as can pheonix lords, dont bother with an avatar

3. Elites:
banshess - lethal if you can get them to work, again you are paying over 300 points by the time you bought the squad and the serpent,

Scorps: can work, ideally not from a transport, they are too slow, but infiltrate them, this represents a cheaper unit bud does take that "all mech" theme away

Harleys: 5+shadow seer in a falcon is fair enough

WG - as above

Dragons: ok usual contraversial point but dragons in a falcon is about aas efficeint as standing the falcon off an shooting, saving yourself 96 points, on the other hand a full dragon squad in a serpent represents a spectacular decapitation unit and is very usefull if you are going to play appoc against super heavies

4.FA:
hawks: reasonably fluffy but damned ineffective unless your opponent id rather gormless
vypers: fit well
Spears: work well provided you accompany them with a autarch
spiders: fit well

5.HS:
Falcon - nice and powerfull, also works as a transport, dont put dragons in it, please? note that the current speculation and alleged draft rules for 5th ed rather depowers these
prism tank - increasingly popular but to be honest I would rather have loads of serpents
Reapers - oddly these work well, my son has a nasty habbit of buying a squad with a serpent with bright lances, the reapers never get in the transport, but instead the serpent goes tank hunting, a role it is quite good at because of its speed, manouverability and TL bright lances
WL/support plaforms really have no place

·
Registered
610 Posts
Funnily enough I was buggering about with a mech list last night.

What I came up with was:

2 Farseers (HQ) Singing Spear, Spirit Stones, Doom, Guide.

6 Fire Dragons Exarch and Tank Hunters

10 Dire Avengers Exarch with twin Catapults, Bladestorm in WS with shuriken cat's, stones, vectored.

10 Dire Avengers (as above)

12 Guardians with scatter laser in WS with EML, stones, and vectored

Falcon with Star Cannon, vectored and stones

Fire Prism

FIre Dragons in the Falcon and a Farseer in each Dire Avengers squad.

Works out at around 1,479pts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.