Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I played Tau twice at my local store, got massacred both games. My second game, I couldn't even kill a single freaking unit. He had 3 Broadsides, like 25 Heavy Suites or whatever.. (they weren't Stealth Suites), and the one tank model with the Rail Rifle. Two of them.

What the hell do I have to do to beat Tau with this list? Every Tau player at my local store is a douche and has about eight to ten rail rifles, at the least. I'm starting to get very frustrated and not even attempt to play a game against the Tau.

Just to clear it up, this is the list I used.

Coteaz w/ three Acolytes and two Warriors
Stern w/ seven Terminators
10 Stormtroopers w/ Chimera
10 Stormtroopers w/ Chimera
10 Grey Knights w/ Land Raider
10 Grey Knights w/ Land Raider
10 Sisters of Repentia
10 Sisters of Repentia
Land Raider Crusader

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, you sink way too many points into LRs. Railguns have no problems destroying them. Try rebuilding your list into one meant to get into CC ASAP. I would say something like: Inquisitor with Psycannon 3 Servitors with Heavy Bolters and some acolytes (Tau Fire Warriors can't save against these.) The Inq. Stormtroopers are fine, but I would deepstrike the Grey Knights. Also, if your opponent fields 25 Crisis Suits, their list is illegal. Also, seeing as he puts all his Broadsides into one unit, some Plasma Weaponry for the Stormtroopers could really hurt them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, honestly I was thinking his list was illegal. He had no pathfinders, no firewarriors, no stealth suits, no kroot, nothing but SUITS! MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF THEM! Also, my first game against Tau, I didn't take any Land Raiders or Chimeras. I just took about 30 Storm Troopers, two groups of 10 Terminators, 20 Grey Knights, and all my Sisters of Battle. I still got my ass handed to me. I hate Tau. Most frustrating army for me to play against:(

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
Tau rely on 2 things, firepower and mobility. Take out his hammerheads and broadsides in the early rounds and it will hinder his progress. Taking alot of tanks is a bad idea. Those railguns are devestating against them. If you take all troops he will have to use the submunition which is much weaker.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, but correct me if I'm wrong.. the only anti tank that Daemonhunters have would be the Land Raiders yes? Unless I take some from Sisters of Battle.. and to be honest I hate running a purgation squad or whatever that unit is. But I guess I'm going to have to against Tau.. stupid clown army. Its a good thing only two people play them at my store. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I would take the previously mentioned Inquisitor squad, and then take a Callidus Assassin for the Broadsides, or Suite units.

Drop the Landraiders, Railguns pummel these. I would take two squads of PAGKs with two Psycannons each. Your Shrouding may actually work here. These and the =][= squad should take out most of his troops and force him to come at you with his Crisis. I would then have a large squad of Terminators with a BC/Psycannon and a Termy with Psycannon. You might have to endure a lot of shooting, and will lose a lot, but that is the price of delivery. You only need a few to get through.

I would take two Hellfire Dreads (TLLC/ML), to take out his Hammerheads.

Repentia aren't worth taking in ANY competitve list IMO.

Cheers, DH

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would take the previously mentioned Inquisitor squad, and then take a Callidus Assassin for the Broadsides, or Suite units.

Drop the Landraiders, Railguns pummel these. I would take two squads of PAGKs with two Psycannons each. Your Shrouding may actually work here. These and the =][= squad should take out most of his troops and force him to come at you with his Crisis. I would then have a large squad of Terminators with a BC/Psycannon and a Termy with Psycannon. You might have to endure a lot of shooting, and will lose a lot, but that is the price of delivery. You only need a few to get through.

I would take two Hellfire Dreads (TLLC/ML), to take out his Hammerheads.

Repentia aren't worth taking in ANY competitve list IMO.

Cheers, DH
I agree mostly with everything you said here, but taking two Dreads would be a stupid idea if you ask me.. whats to keep him from unloading into the Dreads like he did my Land Raiders?

And Repentia aren't worth taking? TAKE THAT BACK! Thats the only reason I went with Sisters of Battle with my Daemonhunters! Their awesome man.. Holy Fire and Righteous Zeal all that jazz they get. Not to mention Strength 6 attacks with no armor saves. The only thing I don't like about them would be the lack of attacks. That doesn't stop them from destroying Termies or Carnifaxs, though:)

·
Superflat Monogram
189 Posts
25 crisis suits? No firewarriors? Well, sounds like an illegal list, but if you're playing apocalypse, then I guess it's awwwight, since there is no Force Organization Chart. If you're just playing normal 40k, then tell the lads to follow standard Force Organization Charts. The maximum anyone can field in terms of Crisis Suits is 15, which can be bumped to 19 if O'Shavah is tagging along. Which is still quite a lot.

Either way, it sounds as if the Tau players at your store do two things: Max out on Crisis Suits and max out on Railguns (Rail rifles are a completely different story, my friend). Sounds like what I run, albeit with 40 firewarriors on devilfish, but that's a different story...

First things first, as mentioned earlier Land Raiders are a waste against Tau. Transports in general, actually. Don't ever bring them. Ever. Instead, invest in a pair (Or trio) of TLLC/ML Dreadnoughts. These angry coffins will take care of those hammer heads, as their ability to move and shoot will allow you to take advantage of terrain. They might pop like weak tin cans, but they should get the job done far more economically than Land Raiders.

As for the Crisis Suits, here's where it gets tricky. A Callidus assassin can help greatly, as they can dump the unfortunate Crisis Suit into the open and totally vulnerable to fire. It can also do the same for unfortunate Broadsides as well. Another kicker will be that she can sneak up from behind due to the way she enters the game, thus weakening the power of terrain.

We can't rely on just one miniature to win the game for us however.

An orbital bombardment can get him moving where you want, albeit it can be haphazard to your health as well. Or do nothing at all.

Another strategy you can use are Death Cult Assassins infiltrating to prevent him from hugging that terrain too closely.

EDIT: Unlike usual, Repentia MIGHT actually be useful here, as their fleet like abilities can let them close fast enough to maybe charge those Crisis Suits before they can react. A priest is necessary for maximum effectiveness. Otherwise, I'd drop them for something more survivable.

Now, you can do either what Diggum mentioned about forcing him to come to you, or you can spam Grey Knights in Power Armor. This is my preferred approach, but I'm an IG kinda guy, so massive casualties are expected from any game I play. You won't need a Grand Master or Stern, a normal Brother Captain will do.

Deep Striking will give you a major edge against this guy though. It doesn't matter that you can't assault on the turn you enter, what matters is actually getting a shot off. If he plays Crisis heavy, he's going to be hiding behind terrain like there's no tomorrow. Deep Strike behind him, and let's see where that 3+ Armor save takes him against 20 storm bolter shots.

Either way, both will involve massive casualties. Yet, this is for meatgrinding it. If you're playing an ACTUAL mission, then get those Grey Knights into the objective and into cover and stay put. You might lose a lot, but the objective is yours, which was the point of the game.

Then again, if you're playing Apocalypse, which it sounds like, buy as many orbital bombardments as you can afford and have your Inquisitor Lord hide in a corner. Commence bombardment. Watch many things die. Watch the terrain disappear.

In my experience as a Tau player, indirect fire was my worst enemy, followed by fast assaulters.

Either Way You Play, Happy Hunting.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
And Repentia aren't worth taking? TAKE THAT BACK! Thats the only reason I went with Sisters of Battle with my Daemonhunters! Their awesome man.. Holy Fire and Righteous Zeal all that jazz they get. Not to mention Strength 6 attacks with no armor saves. The only thing I don't like about them would be the lack of attacks. That doesn't stop them from destroying Termies or Carnifaxs, though:)
LOL! Repentia would be great if they could ever get INTO CC, but walking T3, 4+ save, they never get in, in my humble experience.

How do those scantily clad females get a 4+ save?;o

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
25 crisis suits? No firewarriors? Well, sounds like an illegal list, but if you're playing apocalypse, then I guess it's awwwight, since there is no Force Organization Chart. If you're just playing normal 40k, then tell the lads to follow standard Force Organization Charts. The maximum anyone can field in terms of Crisis Suits is 15, which can be bumped to 19 if O'Shavah is tagging along. Which is still quite a lot.

Either way, it sounds as if the Tau players at your store do two things: Max out on Crisis Suits and max out on Railguns (Rail rifles are a completely different story, my friend). Sounds like what I run, albeit with 40 firewarriors on devilfish, but that's a different story...

First things first, as mentioned earlier Land Raiders are a waste against Tau. Transports in general, actually. Don't ever bring them. Ever. Instead, invest in a pair (Or trio) of TLLC/ML Dreadnoughts. These angry coffins will take care of those hammer heads, as their ability to move and shoot will allow you to take advantage of terrain. They might pop like weak tin cans, but they should get the job done far more economically than Land Raiders.

As for the Crisis Suits, here's where it gets tricky. A Callidus assassin can help greatly, as they can dump the unfortunate Crisis Suit into the open and totally vulnerable to fire. It can also do the same for unfortunate Broadsides as well. Another kicker will be that she can sneak up from behind due to the way she enters the game, thus weakening the power of terrain.

We can't rely on just one miniature to win the game for us however.

An orbital bombardment can get him moving where you want, albeit it can be haphazard to your health as well. Or do nothing at all.

Another strategy you can use are Death Cult Assassins infiltrating to prevent him from hugging that terrain too closely.

EDIT: Unlike usual, Repentia MIGHT actually be useful here, as their fleet like abilities can let them close fast enough to maybe charge those Crisis Suits before they can react. A priest is necessary for maximum effectiveness. Otherwise, I'd drop them for something more survivable.

Now, you can do either what Diggum mentioned about forcing him to come to you, or you can spam Grey Knights in Power Armor. This is my preferred approach, but I'm an IG kinda guy, so massive casualties are expected from any game I play. You won't need a Grand Master or Stern, a normal Brother Captain will do.

Deep Striking will give you a major edge against this guy though. It doesn't matter that you can't assault on the turn you enter, what matters is actually getting a shot off. If he plays Crisis heavy, he's going to be hiding behind terrain like there's no tomorrow. Deep Strike behind him, and let's see where that 3+ Armor save takes him against 20 storm bolter shots.

Either way, both will involve massive casualties. Yet, this is for meatgrinding it. If you're playing an ACTUAL mission, then get those Grey Knights into the objective and into cover and stay put. You might lose a lot, but the objective is yours, which was the point of the game.

Then again, if you're playing Apocalypse, which it sounds like, buy as many orbital bombardments as you can afford and have your Inquisitor Lord hide in a corner. Commence bombardment. Watch many things die. Watch the terrain disappear.

In my experience as a Tau player, indirect fire was my worst enemy, followed by fast assaulters.

Either Way You Play, Happy Hunting.
Wow, thank you for the advice, good sir! This helps tons! And yeah, it was kind of a pre-apocalypse game. We agreed that it wouldn't count towards our records, since it wasn't on the day we usually hold the tourny (Wednesdays). I don't know if I still want to play him though.. or any Tau list for that matter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL! Repentia would be great if they could ever get INTO CC, but walking T3, 4+ save, they never get in, in my humble experience.

How do those scantily clad females get a 4+ save?;o
Hey, I don't mind scantily clad females getting a 4+ armor save:) They do well against other Marine armies though, and they make good units against a Nidzilla army. They're just bad against shooty armies.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
One thing I haven't heard mentioned yet is Seraphim. Seriously, these girls are teh win! I'd take a unit of 7 plus a Veteran Sister Superior. Kit out the squad with two sets of TL-Inferno Pistols, and the VSS with an Eviscerator. Now you've got a mobile squad that can unload a good deal of accurate firepower up close, including two shots that will insta-kill battle-suits and ignore their armor saves, plus they can dish it out in assaults. While they may not be quite the crack assault squad like Genestealers are, they're certainly good enough to give any Tau unit a bloody nose and then some! The VSS delives high-strength power-weapon attacks to carve through that battle-suit armor. With their excellent mobility, firepower, decent armor save, and assault capabilities, these girls would become the most threatening unit in your army, in all likelyhood. They've also got the ability to turn their armor save invulnerable if they make their faith roll, so if you have to spend a turn exposed, they've at least got a better-than-average chance of surviving. Also, the Inferno-Pistols have a good chance of slagging vehicles, if your opponent makes the mistake of not moving his skimmer, though these should be considered a secondary target after battlesuits.

You could also consider adding a flying Canoness with Inferno-Pistol and Blessed Weapon/Eviscerator for backup, and to add even more faith power.

Good hunting!

-H

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing I haven't heard mentioned yet is Seraphim. Seriously, these girls are teh win! I'd take a unit of 7 plus a Veteran Sister Superior. Kit out the squad with two sets of TL-Inferno Pistols, and the VSS with an Eviscerator. Now you've got a mobile squad that can unload a good deal of accurate firepower up close, including two shots that will insta-kill battle-suits and ignore their armor saves, plus they can dish it out in assaults. While they may not be quite the crack assault squad like Genestealers are, they're certainly good enough to give any Tau unit a bloody nose and then some! The VSS delives high-strength power-weapon attacks to carve through that battle-suit armor. With their excellent mobility, firepower, decent armor save, and assault capabilities, these girls would become the most threatening unit in your army, in all likelyhood. They've also got the ability to turn their armor save invulnerable if they make their faith roll, so if you have to spend a turn exposed, they've at least got a better-than-average chance of surviving. Also, the Inferno-Pistols have a good chance of slagging vehicles, if your opponent makes the mistake of not moving his skimmer, though these should be considered a secondary target after battlesuits.

You could also consider adding a flying Canoness with Inferno-Pistol and Blessed Weapon/Eviscerator for backup, and to add even more faith power.

Good hunting!

-H
Hmm.. that is a good idea. I'm actually running 7 of them now, two with Inferno Pistols. Thank you for all the advice, sir! They worked a LOT better than I thought they would.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to be a downer, but this is pretty much the same Tau list my friend uses (yes, it's legal). I have never come close whatsoever to winning against it. Seriously, it's pretty much impossible, as in "it is definitely impossible without a doubt." I've had good luck with a Callidus against the Broadsides, and Seraphim or a flying Canonness are the only options for anti-tank you have. Dreadnaughts WILL be destroyed immediately and probably won't damage the hammerheads. Terminators aren't good here either- the crisis suits can carry AP2 weaponry and so can many other things. Psycannon inquisitor and HB/PC servitors can be OK, but only if they're in cover. Really though, there is nothing in the DH army that could really be referred to as effective against this list and pretty much everything the Tau use in this list slaughter our guys.

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
How do those scantily clad females get a 4+ save?
Through sheer awesome. How could you be more sick than giving a crazy lady a giant chainsword?

Tau. Most frustrating army for me to play against:(

Oh yes, in both tabletop and DoW. Grr...

I agree with a lot of the above sentiments, especially about Land Raiders. Keep the Repentia for cool IMHO, but drop those. The fellow who mentioned Seraphim makes a good point... I looked over the Witch Hunters list and got a measure of them, they are cool. They seem similar to CSM Raptors- quick moving combat support with the possibility of anti-tank. And fast anti-tank is always a good option. I had one of my Raptors- a single one!- armed with a meltagun bring down a Hammerhead that had been, well, hammering my lines. The Baneblade soon took over though... *grumble grumble* Apocalypse *grumble* shooty armies, cowards *grumble*...

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Something you could try if you have to keep a Landraider.

Pack 10 PAGKs in rush forward 12" Blowing smoke (of course). Give your Justicar a Teleport Homer. Have 10 Seraphim Directly behind the Landraider. Have a squad of 10 FAGKs ready to come in on the reserve roll.

This a definatly a risky tactic because it relies on the Landraider getting that second drive of 12", but you get 20 PAGKs and 10 Seraphim in enemy lines, hopefully by turn 2 and surely 3.

Cheers, DH

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Something you could try if you have to keep a Landraider.

Pack 10 PAGKs in rush forward 12" Blowing smoke (of course). Give your Justicar a Teleport Homer. Have 10 Seraphim Directly behind the Landraider. Have a squad of 10 FAGKs ready to come in on the reserve roll.

This a definatly a risky tactic because it relies on the Landraider getting that second drive of 12", but you get 20 PAGKs and 10 Seraphim in enemy lines, hopefully by turn 2 and surely 3.

Cheers, DH
This was actually my plan against Tau, but I didn't get to go first both games and 4 /5 tanks got blown into oblivion, entangling my troops for a round at the edge of the table.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Through sheer awesome. How could you be more sick than giving a crazy lady a giant chainsword?
Great minds think alike! And I played a game against Chaos, Armageddon of course. He ran one of those Spider Defiler things, a Baneblade, two Crusaders, Abadon (sp?), two Greater Deamons, two Deamon Princes, a couple more HQ choices, and a ton of Obliderators. It was NOT a fun game. I hate people who tool lists just to beat you down without a chance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to be a downer, but this is pretty much the same Tau list my friend uses (yes, it's legal). I have never come close whatsoever to winning against it. Seriously, it's pretty much impossible, as in "it is definitely impossible without a doubt." I've had good luck with a Callidus against the Broadsides, and Seraphim or a flying Canonness are the only options for anti-tank you have. Dreadnaughts WILL be destroyed immediately and probably won't damage the hammerheads. Terminators aren't good here either- the crisis suits can carry AP2 weaponry and so can many other things. Psycannon inquisitor and HB/PC servitors can be OK, but only if they're in cover. Really though, there is nothing in the DH army that could really be referred to as effective against this list and pretty much everything the Tau use in this list slaughter our guys.
Yeah.. Tau is the one army I refuse to fight now. Call me cheesy or scared or whatever. Specially those douches who have a big ego and always have to win.

·
Registered
52 Posts
CeaserSneezy, could you give us the list please? The most I figured one could get would be

O'Shovah (only 1 Hammerhead and Broadside unit) and 7 Crisis suits, commander and 2 guards, and then 9 Crisis in Elites. Total: 19 Crisis suits.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts