Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Warning: Long Thread

The Imperial Guard Codex is well written, but after a little over a year of playing Warhammer 40k I've come up with some ideas of how the Imperial Guard could be improved. I list things off in the order they are found in the codex, starting from page 34 and going until page 49.

Page 34, Wargear: (any wargear specific to 1 unit is covered in that unit's section)
-Grenades blow, but that's a rulebook problem, not an IG problem so I will say no more.
-The Honorifica Imperialis is cheesy. I would bring its points up by 5 so that people don't do the Junior officer with Honorifica HQ. It's crap fluff and a cheesey way to steal 5 points (which I have done sometimes lol)
-The Macharian cross, master crafted weapon, medallon crimson and refractor field are all cool for fluff, but not practical to take at the current point costs. I would probably take 5 off of each so more people would be inclined customise their officer with some medals and wargear.
-The regimental standard is a piece of garbage in my opinion. It costs enough to give an infantry squad some decent weapon upgrades and yet does very little. I would make the company standard give +1 ld and the regimental standard do the re-rolling, or maybe the other way around, but basically make it a ld buff that we would actually be able to use. Also drop the points cost (I know, that last bit is getting repedative).
Page 36, Vehicle upgrades
-Extra armour is something of a "never leave home without it" item, meaning it is probably broken. I use it a lot so I hate to admit this, but it probably needs a couple more points added on.
-The pintle stubber is fine, because being on the turret compensates for being weaker than hull or sponson weapons. The storm bolter on the other hand blows. Drop a couple points here so people who want a pintle weapon will have to think about which one to take for more than 2 milliseconds.
-Smoke launchers is another "never leave home without it" item, so maybe another point or 2 added.
-The only change I would make to track guards is to remove the bit about extra armour not working here. Why would the sound of a weapon impacting the track guard be any scarier than anywhere else on the tank?

Page 38, HQ
-First problem is that we only get 1. I would add some sort of secondary officer who could be used to make certain elements better. Things like a Cavalry commander who somehow makes rough riders better, an artillery commander who makes your indirect fire units better, a tank commander who can make your tanks work better etc.

-The Command Squad is versitile and well balanced, I wouldn't change it.

-The most widespread change I would make affects all guardsmen. I don't like the fact that guardsmen aren't really dependant on their sergeants for anything. He's really nothing more than another wound. What I would do is drop all guardsmen except sergeants by 1 ld. So guardmen would have ld6, but their sergeant would have 7. Veterans would have 7, but their sergeant would have 8 etc. This way losing the sergeant would be a signifcant loss.

-Support squads have no direct leader and no way of hooking up to a vox network. I would add a 7th model to them in the form of a sergeant (giving the ld7) who would have all the same options as an infantry squad sergeant, plus he could take the vox caster. He's really already paid for by the fact that weapons are all more expensive here for some reason. (obviously this one doesn't apply to sentinels.)

-Also mortars and Frag missisles need to be str5 Ap5. If orks can slap them together that good than imperial factories should be able to as well.

Page 40, Advisors
-Psykers are underpowered. Make them roll 2 dice and choose 1 for their power. That would allow them to be a little more relyable. At least you get 2 kicks at getting the power you want. Could say that the psyker did some pre-battle miditation to try and mentally prepare himself for a certain power.

-Commissars need only 1 change: The +1 should apply to the officer's ld in every way.
Why would a highly motivated officer suddenly become unmotivated when talking on a radio?

-Priests: priced to insure they never see use. If anyone needs a price cut, these guys do. Both off the priest himself and the wargear he can take. Take purity seals out of wargear and give this ability by default with no price increase.
They are obviously ment to be a specialty unit only intended for close combat, so I would losen up the advisor rule here on who they can go with. Why not assign them to lead the storm troopers who are after all the assault troops of the imperial guard, while allowing to officer to sit back where he can concentate, co-ordinate the battle with a vox network and have 2 men on a mortar.

Page 42, Elites:
-Veterans are cool, but get exploited a lot. The fact that 5 cheep men with BS 4 can take 3 special weapons and deep strike for free is a bit cheesy. I would make the number of weapon upgrades allowed have to do with the total number of men in the squad, kind of like guardian jetbikes for the eldar. Otherwise they are good.

-Ogryns: priced in money to ensure that they are never used. Drop a BS, these are clumsy creatures. I would also give them a 6+ invulnerable save just because they are such tanky creatures...and everything penetrates a 5+ armour save.

-Storm troopers: They are highly trained assault troops so give them WS4. Also I would change the hellgun a lot. I would make the model look kind of like a sub-machine gun, but with lasers. Give it Str4 AP- and 18" Assault 2. The laser looks beefier, hence the str 4 and they are intended to be assault troops, hence 18" assault 2.

-Ratlings don't need to be changed, sniper rifles do. Given snipers are intended to take out single targets of particular importance, they should have better AP.

-While cool for fluff and model, the techpriest doesn't work for me as a front liner unit. Besides, how often to vehicles get immobilized or lose armaments, but not get destroyed and then stay that way long enough that a techpriest can get to them.

Page 44, Troops:
-Grenadiers are members of the regiment with storm trooper quality equipment and training, so let them take doctrines. I would also say that to take grenadiers they have to be a full size sqaud if you want them to count as 1 of your complsory choices. O yeah, plus all the things I said for storm troopers and hellguns.

-Chimeras need the same price cut that everyone else is getting on their transports. I would allow the side hull lasguns to be replace with extra armour plating for AV11 on the side. This would be a price increase though. As for opening the hatch for squad weapons, I would allow heavy weapons to fire while the transport is moving. They men are staying put, but in a moving vehicle that's all. I would make the squad vulnerable instead of making the tank open topped for doing that as well. Say that if you can shoot you can be shot at.

Page 46, Fast Attack:
-Sentinels need to be able to move faster. Maybe give them a fleet move if they are in open terrain. I would also give them an extra die for difficult terrain tests because they are intended for that sort of thing. I would give them a new ability called crouch, where they could get behind some cover and crouch low. To use this they wouldn't be able to move and would recieve whatever cover save the area grants with a -1 on it because they are much bigger than troops.

-Let us take Salamanders. They would have to be a restricted troop, but it would make for a good objective taker.
Page 48, Heavy Support:
-Aside from changes made in the HQ section I would leave the heavy weapons platoon alone, I just wonder why it is a restricted troop.

-I would condense the Leman Russ into one selection and do it in a way that increases our chioces. Just call the one selection Leman Russ. Then say it must take one turret weapon and rattle off all the things a russ can be, must take a HB or LC on the Hull and can take HBs or HFs on the sponsons. Then give it an upgrade called "improved chasis" which give +1 side and rear armour and allows plasma cannons and multimeltas. This would also need to say what parts come in the box and what parts need to be special ordered, as there is no way GW would ever put that many weapons in one box.

-Give us Griffons!

I think I'll make doctrines a different thread. I'm sick of writing and you must be sick of reading.

Anyone like my ideas? Have their own?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree, it's time the codex was updated and considering the number of Hell-gun/Storm trooper threads it is clear that this unit in particular is in need of a revue.

I also think the special weapons squad in the command section needs to be reviewed. If I want to sink the points into them, why not let them all take SW's? or at least let those not taking SW's take demo charges... (although I have to admit that this may make the squad too powerful as a deep strike/suicide squad)

Also, your ideas for the chimera are great, I suggested similar ideas in another thread only they were doctrin related:
aka: firing heavy weapons/special weapons while on the go is allowed if you take the mechanized doctrine (because, since you cane make an awesome mechanized army without buying the mechanized doctrine, this would give that doctrine purpose)

·
Registered
762 Posts
The Mechanized doctrine has to be changed in some way. it is great fluff but i dont really see an advantage to it. Being able to shoot heavy weapons while moving in a chimera would probably even this out easily.

I think commissars should be at least 10 points cheaper. with a commissar your paying an extra XX points to add +1 leadership to an officer and a crappy statline to the squad... isint that just a little over priced?

sanctioned psykers need to be at least semi useful. i can cope with having weak powers but being able to use them when i need them, or having strong powers but not having them be reliable... but both? come on throw the bolt magnets a bone!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Does anyone else think that you should be able to place advisors where you want rather than have to have one in the Command Platoon? I would probably have a priest in my infantry platoon command but I don't need one in my Command Platoon...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Personally I would like to see some clarification between a "Platoon Commander" mentioned in the data-sheet (pg 63 of the codex) and the Junior Officer. What confuses me is that the codex says on page 44 and 48 about platoons led by Junior Officers (who happen to have higher ballistic and weapon skills than the Platoon Commander).

One final wish; would anybody be interested in seeing field guns (such as the PaK 40 75mm Anti Tank Gun used by the Wehrmacht during WWII) for heavy support? I thought this would be more in line with the Valhallan and Death Korps of Krieg's early 20th century warfare image. Perhaps make them have the same damage as Krak Missiles with large blast templates (but not allowed to move unless a vehicle is around).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had never even noticed that "platoon commander" entry on the summary sheet. Lol. Also the stats for the junior officer are wrong on it. They put him down at WS and BS 4, but in the command squad entry he has WS and BS3. Looking around more, the priest's stats are wrong and so are the hellhound's.

One other thing I thought of: The grenade launcher's frag grenade needs to do more damage so that people acually use it once in a while. Maybe STR 4 AP 6. I don't know about anyone else, but I always fire Krak grenades the way it is now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dear Rabid_IBM,

I came across the idea while reading "Lord of the Night" that Storm Trooper grade soldiers have night vision goggles. Would it make sense for NVGs to be readily accessible to storm troopers which allow either allow them to see in the dark as normal, or double their base spotting distances for night fight scenarios? Otherwise, NVGs could be taken as a doctrine for armored vehicles, infantry squads and Ratlings.

Also, the auspex should be a readily accessible piece of wargear to command squads and storm trooper sergeants (otherwise a SAGE type of character from the Inquisitional retinue would be a useful alternative).

·
Registered
479 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree that we should have griffons back! That and all the other tanks that are currently IA only. Because I don't want to spend £40 just to be able to use a leman russ exterminator.

Some infantry manned artillery wouldn't go amiss either, the orks seem to be the only ones with any at the moment (excluding DkoK IA stuff). Speaking of the DkoK stuff, everyone should have thudd guns. because they're great.

If the chimera came down to say, 50pts, they'd be a lot more acceptable to use. And with more turret-weapon options please. I also imagine it'll come with searchlight and smokes for free in the next codex, as per other newer codices.

Infantry squads can take heavy stubber as a special weapon - This I would REALLY love.

I can't see the wargear surviving in it's current incarnation in the new codex whenever we get one, the latest codices have done away with the 'armoury' sections. I imagine it'll be something along the lines of 'officer may take X for Xpts, or Y for Ypts' etc. etc.

It'd be nice for the advisors rule to disappear completely. Putting people where they're of little or no use rather than where I want them is a little pointless.

Idea I really liked: Cavalry commander. I want an army of roughriders. Because it'd be fun.

And Ogryns need T5. they NEED it, they're too fragile at the moment. or FnP or something.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
I agree with the idea of heavy stubbers in infantry squads, and the addition of IA tank variants.

I also think that it would be nice if the minimum range of Basilisks could be dropped to something more useful for average tables; maybe 24".

Also, the auspex should be a readily accessible piece of wargear to command squads and storm trooper sergeants
We have that already. Its called the Surveyor, and anyone with armory access can have it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well i like the guard as they are for the most part 1 HQ is cool cause you get the same as troop HQ.

The LD is solved as Close order drill works for the officers in troop squads so i'm uber dependant on mine (LD 9, Iron Discipline)

What i would like to change

Make Ratilings smaller squads remove the 0-1. Dont see what army in its right mind has 11 snipers ?! they should be 5 man snipers with cooler models

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ogryn Bone 'eads with access to Power fists: Strength 10 goodness, guaranteed to be a rude surprise.

After reading "Dark Apostle" where the Elysian HSO had an Ogryn in his command retinue, i thought about possibility of upgrading each guardsman in a command squad to Hardened Veterans/Stormtroopers for a certain points cost (2pts, perhaps?) followed by Ogryns (10pts perhaps?) would make sense. After all, the bodyguard detail for any commander should be notably more competent than their rank and file brethren.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
I like Penny Pincher's idea of upgrading command squad guardsmen into Vets/Stormtroopers. Its always seemed a bit weird when the rest of my army is made of mainly Grenadiers and Vets, but my Officers are stuck with normal guardsmen.

The LD is solved as Close order drill works for the officers in troop squads so i'm uber dependant on mine (LD 9, Iron Discipline)
There's nothing wrong with the concept, but I'm curious about how you rely on combining Officers and Close Order Drill?
For me at least, my Officers are usually dies when the command squad does. Its uncommon for them to revert back to being independent characters. :?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Err what? not sure what you talking about. I just re-read the 1st post and realised that he was talking about serg's which i agree with. I thought it was Officers, thus the comment.

I'd like to petition a CC sentinal while i'm posting. Prehaps Similar to the SoB Walker

·
Registered
166 Posts
ya know, I really like the different HQ types idea. I would like to see them also change unit choices too. Cavalry HQ gives you rough riders as a HQ unit or makes them a core choice in place of armoured fist squads or something. Or maybe he just makes the Rough Riders you have better... more armor, get to KEEP THE FRICKIN HAND WEAPON!!!, or reroll fleet of hoof, etc.

I also like the suggestions for storm troopers but honestly I would not sacrifice like 6" to gain +1 strength. I would rather get in 2-3 rounds of shooting at max than 1-2 rounds of shooting at max, especially since they have nothing to back up the incoming assault aside from MAYBE a power sword on the sarge. I think it would be more useful to just make the hellgun the same but with assault 2 instead so you could make some falling back maneuvers and the like. I like the night vision suggestion.

·
2,399 Posts
-Extra armour is something of a "never leave home without it" item, meaning it is probably broken. I use it a lot so I hate to admit this, but it probably needs a couple more points added on.
-The pintle stubber is fine, because being on the turret compensates for being weaker than hull or sponson weapons. The storm bolter on the other hand blows. Drop a couple points here so people who want a pintle weapon will have to think about which one to take for more than 2 milliseconds.
-Smoke launchers is another "never leave home without it" item, so maybe another point or 2 added.
-The only change I would make to track guards is to remove the bit about extra armour not working here. Why would the sound of a weapon impacting the track guard be any scarier than anywhere else on the tank?

- I Agree Wholeheartedly on all points.

Page 38, HQ
-First problem is that we only get 1. I would add some sort of secondary officer who could be used to make certain elements better. Things like a Cavalry commander who somehow makes rough riders better, an artillery commander who makes your indirect fire units better, a tank commander who can make your tanks work better etc.

- Darn right! look at the Dark angels codex for how that could work! Artilery spotters! maybe a command tank upgrade! I've always wanted to do a rough riders command squad, or mount a commissar in one, but never had the option - I'd play it even if it was awful. Just for the look, Oh wait, I do, I play guard.

-The most widespread change I would make affects all guardsmen. I don't like the fact that guardsmen aren't really dependant on their sergeants for anything. He's really nothing more than another wound. What I would do is drop all guardsmen except sergeants by 1 ld. So guardmen would have ld6, but their sergeant would have 7. Veterans would have 7, but their sergeant would have 8 etc. This way losing the sergeant would be a signifcant loss.

- I'm fine with them, that mechanic's already there if you upgrade them to vet sgnts (and for god's sake LD6 standard ? That'd be terrible - just think tank shock) - but that should be for less - maybe approx 3pts? - they do get the advantage of all this cool kit from the armoury, but their stat line still blows chunks.

-Support squads have no direct leader and no way of hooking up to a vox network. I would add a 7th model to them in the form of a sergeant (giving the ld7) who would have all the same options as an infantry squad sergeant, plus he could take the vox caster. He's really already paid for by the fact that weapons are all more expensive here for some reason. (obviously this one doesn't apply to sentinels.)

- That's how it should be - attached firepower squads under the officer's leadership. they're not squads in their own right, and to operate need to stay in the officer's bubble or risk being undisciplined

-Also mortars and Frag missisles need to be str5 Ap5. If orks can slap them together that good than imperial factories should be able to as well.

- Mortars yes, frags no but that's really just a squabble.

Page 40, Advisors
-Psykers are underpowered. Make them roll 2 dice and choose 1 for their power. That would allow them to be a little more relyable. At least you get 2 kicks at getting the power you want. Could say that the psyker did some pre-battle miditation to try and mentally prepare himself for a certain power.

- very good - but if it's a double he croaks it!

-Commissars need only 1 change: The +1 should apply to the officer's ld in every way.
Why would a highly motivated officer suddenly become unmotivated when talking on a radio?

- Because of abuse over vox links ! please note let's not start this discussion again!

-Priests: priced to insure they never see use. If anyone needs a price cut, these guys do. Both off the priest himself and the wargear he can take. Take purity seals out of wargear and give this ability by default with no price increase.
They are obviously ment to be a specialty unit only intended for close combat, so I would losen up the advisor rule here on who they can go with. Why not assign them to lead the storm troopers who are after all the assault troops of the imperial guard, while allowing to officer to sit back where he can concentate, co-ordinate the battle with a vox network and have 2 men on a mortar.

- True but they never put out the models to do that (that weren't rehashed fantasy - and if they did it how many would sell? why put the effort in there?), so why would they put it in the codex?

Page 42, Elites:
-Veterans are cool, but get exploited a lot. The fact that 5 cheep men with BS 4 can take 3 special weapons and deep strike for free is a bit cheesy. I would make the number of weapon upgrades allowed have to do with the total number of men in the squad, kind of like guardian jetbikes for the eldar. Otherwise they are good.

- Seems fair. The overpriced compulsory vet sgnt is less overpriced the larger the squad, but this does make sense

-Ogryns: priced in money to ensure that they are never used. Drop a BS, these are clumsy creatures. I would also give them a 6+ invulnerable save just because they are such tanky creatures...and everything penetrates a 5+ armour save.

- Nope, they aren't tactical dreadnaughts, so stop throwing invunerable saves about.

-Storm troopers: They are highly trained assault troops so give them WS4. Also I would change the hellgun a lot. I would make the model look kind of like a sub-machine gun, but with lasers. Give it Str4 AP- and 18" Assault 2. The laser looks beefier, hence the str 4 and they are intended to be assault troops, hence 18" assault 2.

- Let's see what they do with the plastics - when they re-release them they'll make them cool (otherwise you'd probably not buy them) - i expect them to have something changed like a hvy wpn or demo charges. (I'm guessing here)

-Ratlings don't need to be changed, sniper rifles do. Given snipers are intended to take out single targets of particular importance, they should have better AP.

- and always wound on a 4+? leave as or it'll be too unbalanced

Page 44, Troops:
-Grenadiers are members of the regiment with storm trooper quality equipment and training, so let them take doctrines. I would also say that to take grenadiers they have to be a full size sqaud if you want them to count as 1 of your complsory choices. O yeah, plus all the things I said for storm troopers and hellguns.

- being allowed to take hardened fighters etc and giving them iron discipline as per old would be good. but will they cost more?

-Chimeras need the same price cut that everyone else is getting on their transports. I would allow the side hull lasguns to be replace with extra armour plating for AV11 on the side. This would be a price increase though. As for opening the hatch for squad weapons, I would allow heavy weapons to fire while the transport is moving. They men are staying put, but in a moving vehicle that's all. I would make the squad vulnerable instead of making the tank open topped for doing that as well. Say that if you can shoot you can be shot at.

- I personally reckon that when stormtroopers get re-released the chimera will be given a polish - probrably a plating bit to slap on the side and ignore those lasguns for increased AV. At that point, to increase sales their game cost will be reduced. don't complicate the shooting from - leave as is though

Page 46, Fast Attack:
-Sentinels need to be able to move faster. Maybe give them a fleet move if they are in open terrain. I would also give them an extra die for difficult terrain tests because they are intended for that sort of thing. I would give them a new ability called crouch, where they could get behind some cover and crouch low. To use this they wouldn't be able to move and would recieve whatever cover save the area grants with a -1 on it because they are much bigger than troops.

- Nope, but reducing the rough terrain mod for them would be nice

-Let us take Salamanders. They would have to be a restricted troop, but it would make for a good objective taker.

- GW don't make them, FW do - why would they? or shall we have Imp Aurm II just game legal

Page 48, Heavy Support:
-Aside from changes made in the HQ section I would leave the heavy weapons platoon alone, I just wonder why it is a restricted troop.

-I would condense the Leman Russ into one selection and do it in a way that increases our chioces. Just call the one selection Leman Russ. Then say it must take one turret weapon and rattle off all the things a russ can be, must take a HB or LC on the Hull and can take HBs or HFs on the sponsons. Then give it an upgrade called "improved chasis" which give +1 side and rear armour and allows plasma cannons and multimeltas. This would also need to say what parts come in the box and what parts need to be special ordered, as there is no way GW would ever put that many weapons in one box.

- Absolutely not on the able to make a LR side armour 13! it's good as it is.

-Give us Griffons!

- They never sold properly after the first rush! no sales = no product = why bother for GW?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(and for god's sake LD6 standard ? That'd be terrible - just think tank shock)
The squad wouldn't normally be ld6, just if the sergeant got killed, and losing your sergeant would be terribly demorilising. This would simply prevent the sergeant from being considered expendable.

- Because of abuse over vox links ! please note let's not start this discussion again!
How is it ok to use a vox network for widespread ld9, but abusive for widespread ld 10 when you look at how many points that commissar costs. He costs more than upgrading the JO to HSO. Also in a squad with uniform T3, low model count and only 5+ armour, it will get targeted by anything that could possibly hit it. Also if the squad happens to fail one pinning test from some sort of barrage weapon, BOOM! dead officer, no more vox, everyone is ld 7. Given the cost and risk it would be well balanced.

True but they never put out the models to do that (that weren't rehashed fantasy - and if they did it how many would sell? why put the effort in there?), so why would they put it in the codex?
Oh, are priests not easy to get? I've never looked for them, I just saw them in the codex and figured they needed fixing before I even thought about getting them. They're kinda cool for fluff but really don't do much useful given their cost, and then the cost of their wargear. Seriously, for a priest with even 1 of his pieces of better wargear you could get a basic guardsmen squad, 2 pieces of wargear and the guardsmen could be decently upgraded.

- Nope, they aren't tactical dreadnaughts, so stop throwing invunerable saves about.
But they are so vulnerable right now, we need something to make them tougher. Besides how much off a difference would a 6+ make anyways? I just figure that if a regualy human with some mechanical bits thrown in gets 6+ invul than certainly ogryns, who are supposed to be build like brick sh*t houses should get it.

but honestly I would not sacrifice like 6" to gain +1 strength
I don't know that it's really that much of a sacrifice. They would gain 6" when moving, and then if you add the 6" movement you basically have 24" again. This would also encourage them to move more, which as assault troops they should be moving most of the time anyways. Whoever said night vision, good idea. Maybe it negates the night fight rules for them?

and always wound on a 4+? leave as or it'll be too unbalanced
Alright, so maybe that's not the best way, but you have to admit, this guys blow the way they are right now.

Was thinking about grenadiers a bit more, and if you just let them take doctrines that would be overpowered. They would then be able to deep strike for free, infiltrate for the same cost, take all other doctrines and take up troops instead of elites. Bad idea then, my bad. I would like to say grenadiers replaces armour fist squad with grenadiers in transport, but that would kill the abilty to theme an all storm trooper list. Let me think about this one for a while more, and I would gladly accept suggestions.

Absolutely not on the able to make a LR side armour 13! it's good as it is.
This accounts for the demolisher, which has AV 13 and AV 11 for side and rear. After all why shouldn't you be able to put a battle cannon on a demolisher chaisis and give it plasma cannons if you are willing to pay for it?

They never sold properly after the first rush! no sales = no product = why bother for GW?
Oh, is that why they scraped them? I started playing after this current codex was released so I never saw them available. I just figure that Str6AP4 for cheep compared to other ordinance would be the perfect anti-aspect warrior, fire warrior, ork, other guard and nid weapon. It wouldn't even be bad for the MEQs. Still wound on a 2+ and have large blast.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Warning: Long Thread

The Imperial Guard Codex is well written, but after a little over a year of playing Warhammer 40k I've come up with some ideas of how the Imperial Guard could be improved. I list things off in the order they are found in the codex, starting from page 34 and going until page 49.

Page 34, Wargear: (any wargear specific to 1 unit is covered in that unit's section)
-Grenades blow, but that's a rulebook problem, not an IG problem so I will say no more.
-The Honorifica Imperialis is cheesy. I would bring its points up by 5 so that people don't do the Junior officer with Honorifica HQ. It's crap fluff and a cheesey way to steal 5 points (which I have done sometimes lol)
-The Macharian cross, master crafted weapon, medallon crimson and refractor field are all cool for fluff, but not practical to take at the current point costs. I would probably take 5 off of each so more people would be inclined customise their officer with some medals and wargear.
-The regimental standard is a piece of garbage in my opinion. It costs enough to give an infantry squad some decent weapon upgrades and yet does very little. I would make the company standard give +1 ld and the regimental standard do the re-rolling, or maybe the other way around, but basically make it a ld buff that we would actually be able to use. Also drop the points cost (I know, that last bit is getting repedative).
Okay, agree with most of these

Extra Armour is consistently priced across all codecies that get it, no need for a price rise - same with smoke launchers.
Agree with the storm bolter.
Think of the track guards being not so much scarier as the troops being too busy checking their movement systems are operable.

Page 38, HQ

-The Command Squad is versitile and well balanced, I wouldn't change it.
Agree with these - some kind fo 'commander' unit would be great.

-
The most widespread change I would make affects all guardsmen. I don't like the fact that guardsmen aren't really dependant on their sergeants for anything. He's really nothing more than another wound. What I would do is drop all guardsmen except sergeants by 1 ld. So guardmen would have ld6, but their sergeant would have 7. Veterans would have 7, but their sergeant would have 8 etc. This way losing the sergeant would be a signifcant loss.
Don't agree with this at all. No squad in 40k relies on their sergeant for anything, not until they are upgraded to veteran or whatever. Losing a sergeant isn't going to be a significant loss, a vet sarge would be. If you were going to make guard a crappy Ld 6 then you would have to considerably drop the points cost of a squad.

The reason for the more expensive weapons is because they are all concentrated in the one squad, making it more effective.

S4 works well for mortars and frag missiles - otherwise they would be more potent than the space marine version and that just isn't on. The reason that orks 'slap' them together like that is because they pack them full of explosive with little regard for premature explosion. Just so long as there is a big bang orks are happy. If you are going to cross-compare codecies then at least pick an Imperial one.

Page 40, Advisors

Priests do need an independant advisor rule - or one that simply states they must be attached to a squad, but not specify which one.

Page 42, Elites:
Quite fair

6+ save and reduction in BS isn't really worth it. Bump their save to a 4+ yes

Not the way to go I'm afraid. Yes the hellgun does need a bit of a kick but S4 AP - isn't the way. Increase the AP to 5 and you are getting somewhere

They use the standard sniper rifle profile - consistent across all armies that have access to sniper rifles.

-While cool for fluff and model, the techpriest doesn't work for me as a front liner unit. Besides, how often to vehicles get immobilized or lose armaments, but not get destroyed and then stay that way long enough that a techpriest can get to them.
As you say, it's doesn't work for you. Techpriests are fluffy though so I can't see them going any time soon, nor do I want to see them go.

Page 44, Troops:
Grenadiers are a doctrine. That is there specialisation - an increased statline and improved equipment are what sets them apart. Any more and the cost would be way to prohibitive. If you want a super unit ally some GK.

These are core rule issues (apart from the AV thing). While the squad is stationry, they are also trying to aim and fire a heavy weapon while being jolted around be a fast moving vehicle with no suspension - not entirey helpful for accuracy. Open top is a fair rule - the top of the tank has been opened up to allow the inside to shoot, of course it is going to be easier to damage.

Page 46, Fast Attack:
Let me get this right, you want a fleeting walker? A great big 2 legged machine to run around really fast. Not even the eldar can do that, why would comparatively low tech humans be able to pull that of. The scout move represents the ease that these vehicles can get into position. None of these suggestions are balanced or even close to workable.

Works for me.

Page 48, Heavy Support:

That could work, but at the moment I like the 2 variants that we have. If more variants were to be added to the main codex then yes this would work. Besides, GW wouldn't produce a single box with everything in it, they would simply keep the box line as it is - hopefull updating the look of it. And box contents should never be included in a codex - that's what conversions are for.

-Give us Griffons!

I think I'll make doctrines a different thread. I'm sick of writing and you must be sick of reading.

Anyone like my ideas? Have their own?
Some good suggestions, some that are in my opinion rubbish. Good effort though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My thoughts:

HQ
Company HQ
I would also like to see a little more HQ variety. Maybe something along the lines of the Orks. If you take a certain commander, you can take Their equivelent unit as troops. Such as a mounted commander for RR's, A Stormtrooper commander for ST's, etc. I personally think the current HQ should be the standard, and could be upgraded to their IST/Ogryn/etc equivalent. But to keep it fair, only the regular vanilla HQ can take extra command sqauds such as heavy weapons and sentinels. Using commanders such as this may be a good way to help reforn the doctrine system, which may be dropped alongside SM traits (If rumours are true)

Advisors
I feel that Psykers should be allowed to choose their powers. According to fluff (Such as the novel Lord of the Night), the Imperium trains psykers highly. They train very young, and the Imperium takes good care in honing each individual psykers powers. I also feel that their WS and BS should be increased because of this. I don't see why individuals trained from childhood for war would have less skill then the average rank and file guardsmen. If it was a shrivelled astropath that would be understanable, but they aren't. If not this, then atleast allow Force Weapons a WS and/or I upgrade. The way I see it, if they are sure enough to use their powers in hand to hand, then atleast they must train a fair amount.

Commisars are IMO the best of the Advisors, and not much is wrong with them.

Preists could use a price drop, alongside the equipment that can carry. Also, I think the advisor rules should be changed to where you do not need an unneccesary priest to use these guys alongside what you want to use them with, such as Rough Riders or Ogryns.

Elite/U]
Ratlings
I personally think these guys are fine, though sniper rifles could get an update. Although I think a certain doctrine/commander choice should help allow you to remove the restriction. I think lowering sqaud size would kind of ruin their effectiveness vs MC's.

Ogryns
My opinion is to give them T5. It will allow them not to get wiped by anything but a DCCW. A PW upgrade for the Bone 'Ead would also be cool, but not totally necessary. With T5 I think their current cost would be totally appropriate, especially if you look at the cost of current Ork Nob Mobz.

Storm Troopers
I dislike the Sub-machine Gun idea for Hellguns. All the fluff talks of them being noticably more powerful and heavier then Lasguns. However, I think a interesting change would be variable fire. Basically, the player could choose to be sit-and-shooty (Maybe rapid fire Strength 3 AP 5 Range 30') or assault'ish (Assault 2 Strength 3 AP- Range 18') You could explain this as the ST's being able to change the power settings on their hellguns, which would keep wiht the fluff of ST's being highly trained troops for any situation armed with the best equipment. I also think a WS/I upgrade would be good.

Veterans
IMO, these guys are fine. Sure, deep-striking special weapons may be a little much. But compared to fleeting Gaunts, furious charging Boyz, or Ultra-Grit CSM I don't see to terribly much a problem.

I think the rest of the list is fine. I jfeel the only weak areas for IG are the HQ/Elite. Although I do think Chimeras should be allowed the armaments in the Imperial Armour books (Giving gamers a good incentive to buy FW)

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
- GW don't make them, FW do - why would they? or shall we have Imp Aurm II just game legal?
GW made the Baneblade. Plus, the new SM Vindicator is very similar to the FW one.

Its actually IA volume I, not II.
Sure, why not? IG are also supposed to be known for their tanks (hence all of the FW stuff), not just infantry. I think it would be nice if they expanded the motor pool a bit more to represent this.

Extra Armour is consistently priced across all codecies that get it, no need for a price rise - same with smoke launchers.
BA and DA get Extra Armour for 3 times the cost of the other codices, so no, I wouldn't say that its consistently priced. They get built-in smoke launchers and searchlights though.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
BA and DA get Extra Armour for 3 times the cost of the other codices, so no, I wouldn't say that its consistently priced. They get built-in smoke launchers and searchlights though.
And also a reduced price for vehicles, correct?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.