Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like what information would he have access to? Would it just be like inquisitorial reports or would it include member names and a detailed history of what the Imperium has documented on them? Would he have access to information pertaining to their geneseed?

I'm thinking of writing two sets of fluff for my chapter, the information an Inquisitor would have and the information as a Librarian for the chapter would have it. So one mostly as the Imperium would have it and another as the chapter would want its members to read.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I understand of Inquisitors they can expect subordination from any of the Emperors subjects. I would say that any information on said Chapter that is outside of that Chapter would be available for an inquisitor. Whether the Chapter itself would be happy to release sensitive information (Dark Angels) is another matter entirely.

·
LO Zealot
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I want there to be a nice gap in history for both sides of my fluff, the Imperium would be lacking a large span of information (about a thousand years or so) and my own chapter would have its start during that era. I want my Chapter to go from being pretty much a standard SM Chapter to being kinda crazy (as they age they hate their bodies more and more and augment themselves with bionics), and within that time the chapter's forge will grow and a nearby planet will go from being agricultural to being a Hive City (which is because of the Chapter's influence). I was just wondering because if they know about anything with the geneseed I would want it to stay the same as its parent Legion (Iron Hands), but if not then I could pretend that there was a slight abnormality in their geneseed leading to their radical behavior.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
A thousand years is a while. That would be a tithe of the First Founding or Second Founding chapters' history, never mind younger chapters. People would begin to talk if your chapter fell off the radar for 1,000 years.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
The inquisitor would have their official records, records of their combat deployments, probably the names of their commanders, their homeworld, the size and class of the ships in their fleet, their parent Chapter and the results of any prior Inquisitorial investigations. But it varies. Some Chapters hide their fleet strength, some don't let anyone near their homeworld, some jump from war to war without leaving any records behind.

Details of their geneseed, their recruitment process, their rituals or any secret operational specifics such as their squad structure or their combat maneouvres would be off-limits. But like I said, it varies. Some Chapters will be open and diplomatic; some will be hostile and paranoid. Some will have been investigated in the past. Some might be as substantial as myths.

If you want your Chapter to have kept their homeworld and practices a secret for 1,000 years, simply play it that it's been 1,000 years since they were last audited, so to speak. And over that time they've jumped through all sorts of hoops to avoid Inquisitorial notice. Maybe some records were lost in suspicious circumstances. Maybe an Inquisitor following their trail mysteriously disappeared. Maybe a planetary governor who saw something he shouldn't was declared a rebel and executed. Space Marines carry a big stick, and they can have a lot of weight even off the battlefield. There's lots of options.

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
Yea but who knows how much stuff they keep secret, if the Dark Angels can do it, it doesn't make them the exception to the rule. Chapters are fully autonomous and a fiercely proud of their independance. The inquisition works with the Ecchliesarchy alot of times, and since they(Space Marines) do not beleive the Emperor is a god that would create friction and distrust between the Marines and The inquisition, and a valid reason to keep things secret from the Inquisition. If I were a Chapter master I would trust the Inquisition about as far as I could throw Terra. Geneseed and all that I'd submit, but chapter secrets I would not tell them. That is Chapter buisness and noone elses.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Bare in mind that the Imperium is a big place and the Inquisition is a busy organisation.

Naturaly it will want to keep tabs on Marine Chapters after all they represent a semi autonomous organisation within Imperial boarders with access to powerful warriors and their own fleet.

However it probably isn't practical (or possible) to keep a record of every Marine recruited into every individual Chapter. Indeed entire Chapters can drift in and out of existence, at least according to Imperial records.

In addition by and large Space Marines represent the most loyal servants of the Emperor. The Inquisition isn't going to spend to much time bugging their cafeterias unless there is something specific that is of concern.

In short the records available about any particular Chapter will depend greatly on the conduct and 'visibility' of the Chapter.

A strictly codex chapter that operates via a fleet on the edge of the Halo stars probably has very little Inquisitorial data on it compared to a divergant Chapter based on a Hive World in the middle of the Imperium.

·
LO Zealot
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A strictly codex chapter that operates via a fleet on the edge of the Halo stars probably has very little Inquisitorial data on it compared to a divergant Chapter based on a Hive World in the middle of the Imperium.
The second part you put down is pretty much what they are. Mind that they are divergent in a similar way to their parent chapter, in that they veiw bionics as purification and a kind of ritual practice.

Details of their geneseed, their recruitment process, their rituals or any secret operational specifics such as their squad structure or their combat maneouvres would be off-limits. But like I said, it varies. Some Chapters will be open and diplomatic; some will be hostile and paranoid. Some will have been investigated in the past. Some might be as substantial as myths.

If you want your Chapter to have kept their homeworld and practices a secret for 1,000 years, simply play it that it's been 1,000 years since they were last audited, so to speak. And over that time they've jumped through all sorts of hoops to avoid Inquisitorial notice. Maybe some records were lost in suspicious circumstances. Maybe an Inquisitor following their trail mysteriously disappeared. Maybe a planetary governor who saw something he shouldn't was declared a rebel and executed. Space Marines carry a big stick, and they can have a lot of weight even off the battlefield. There's lots of options.
What I'm getting at with geneseed is that I thought the geneseed was sent to mars for testing (or at least I think its mars) every so often to make sure it isn't dangerously mutated. So I was wondering if such information would be accessible to the Inquisition.

As for them disappearing for a thousand years, its more like the chapter is founded, then maybe after the first few hundred years (after the Founding Chapter Master has passed on and the Chapter has come more into it's own control) they simply aren't seen or paid much attention to over that time, sure they'd have logs of battles, but for the most part the Imperium could be too busy elsewhere to pay them any attention. Then, lets say about 3500 years ago, they show back up, but have gradually warped from straight codex to being a bit more divergent, swapping parts of their bodies for bionics, their nearby world in their system has come under their control and has gone from a civilized/agricultural planet, to a small hive world with a very devout population, all of which practically worshiping machines and believing themselves to be inferior beings to their machines.

Its definitely a rip from the Iron Hands and Adeptus Mechanicus, but they pretty much exist together, with the Marines having an effect on the overall rule of the planet.

My issue is that I want my Marines to essentially go insane as they age, getting to the point that they will literally rip their skin from their bodies and shred themselves to death, and from what I remember the initial chapter is started by having members of another chapter take charge of them and train them. Now either their parent chapter or the Ultramarines would be the most logical choice for this, and due to the slightly unorthodox nature of the Iron Hands I'd think that a small group of Ultramarines would most likely be charged with this task, if they had noticed that they'd have reported it, and the chapter could well have been exterminated at an early age.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
That's legitimate. The thing about Space Marines is that they are usually given more freedom on how to spread the Emperor's Light than most Imperials; if they want to build up a planet, cool. If they want to exterminatus another, also cool.

Most Imperial citizens would be declared heretics for doing the right thing in a slightly non-standard way, but Space Marines wouldn't.

·
LO Zealot
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, and while I'm talking about it, does anyone think the idea sounds cool?

I'll give a short synopsis of the chapter to check out:

Geneseed- Flawed in some way causing insanity over time, that leads to self mutilation due to hatred of flesh, counteracted by increased bionic usage over time, ultimately leading to primarily machine older SM (Chapter Master being almost a Dread)

System - Draci is the star system, the third world is a hive planet that was influenced into this role by the Chapter, Draci II being the desert like homeworld of the chapter itself. Draci III sports a largely mechanized military force (large numbers of Armoured Companies, Mechanized Companies, and Navy)

Chapter History- Dual history as given by Inquisitorial report on the Chapter (noting the founding, First Master, notable battles, and modern state starting at around 3500 years ago to current, noting the current Master and Apothecarium notes on geneseed stability). The founding was about 5000 years ago, which I figured would be enough time to turn a humble agri world into a fair sized hive world.

Chapter structure- Oldest members hold the highest positions and are revered for their purity, as shown by their bionic upgrades. Something I have left out in this thread is that most ranking members are part of a machine cult of sorts and are almost always Techmarine-esque (Iron Fathers as they would be in the Iron Hands). They do use Librarians and Chaplains as well, who are also Techmarine-esque. Note that they do have a large number of Dreadnaughts and vehicles and do use mechanized armies frequently.

Outside Influences- Due to a close proximity to Ryza and moderately good relations with the Adeptus Mechanicus they have taken to fair usage of plasma based weaponry and tend to use fairly advanced systems.

Back in fourth I had them designed as an army that used a lot of Dreadnaughts, Techmarine leaders, and Apothecary squad leaders, but sacrificed most mobile units (Bikes and Speeders) in favor of a slower moving mechanized/walking forces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.