1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I chose other: Dreadnoughts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went dev squad since you can combat squad them and split up there shooting. Have a pair of missile launchers in one squad and two lascannons in the other pop tanks and mow down horde you cant lose.

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
dude's got a point.
Devvies are really something special and utterly underrated.

10devvies with choice of heavy weapons, upgrades on sarge, choice of deployment options, choice of transports, you cant lose.

Drop-pod a dev squad into an epic place on the board turn 1 - yes they lose a turn of shooting, but decent deployment will keep them alive. turn 2+ and you could have one seriously punishing squad out there. 4 plas cannons and a power fist for anti-MEQ, 4 ML's and combi-flamer for anti-horde, las/MM and meltabombs for anti-vehicle, devs are tailor made and bloody epic, and with 10 marines, will last longer than any vehicle could =)

CR

·
221 Posts
Best is relative.

Whirlwinds are probably the most cost effective and deadly vs hordes.
Vindicators can kill anything. Period. Short range but that barrage thing can spank units in cover.
Devies I agree are all around toughest and versatile but at a cost.
Predator is also versatile but not as resilient as devastators with up to 10 wounds vs 1 pen splodes result.

Personally I love the Vindicator for fear factor. Nobody likes a big nasty plate fired at them that potentially ignores cover and armor, slaying the toughest of units with ease.

·
NCIS fan
818 Posts
WOULD 2 dev squads be good

... If we didn't have a limit to how many HS choices...

I choose, and seemed to be the only one, the Thunderfire Cannon. I love the old stand-bys, the whirlwind and the predator, but this new-comer is such a terror!

Not only can you kill squads of low T troops, but you can mess up the movement of sloggers/skimmers too!

You just need to put it, somewhere cozy, so your opponent doesn't get any ideas...

Just my two bolter casings.
:beer:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't think there is a "best" heavy it really depends on what you want, anti armour, anti inf. I personally would take a dev squad full of heavy bolters and have each tactical squad have a las cannon, or plasma cannons :soldier:

·
Registered
495 Posts
To me, "best" unit is something that allows you to control the flow of the game in your favor. Hands down that unit is the Vindicator. Opponents will either avoid it like tha plague or throw everything at it to stop it. Either way, it allows you to control what happens in the game.
Dev. Squad is fine, but they are still just marines with a couple weapons.
Whirlwind has the ability to cause a major impact with its pinning ability, but its still only a support unit. The opponent could just resign himself to getting shelled by missles. You can't resign yourself to go get vaporized to a demolisher shot.
Preds are armored support. Thunderfires just dont have the armor and movement to control the game.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Vindicators can kill anything. Period. Short range but that barrage thing can spank units in cover
FAQ corrected that little printing error. The Demo cannon isn't a barrage weapon but it still mauls any unit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would have to say Preds because they are cheap and can come in many ways.

If I was going against Horde though I would take a WW because they are stupid cheap. If you have enough speeders and attack bikes you should have enough tank killing leaving you to whirlwind everything else.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only problem I have with the vindicator is its sphere of influence. You say it allows you to control the flow of the game but with the 24" range it's too easily avoided. A predator w/lascannons, a whirlwind or a dev squad with lascannon or missile launcher easily outranges the vindi. Add to that it is no more heavily armored than the predator and ill I've seen em do is serve as a first turn distraction lasting till second turn if theyre lucky.

·
Registered
73 Posts
playing a 2 v 2 3000 point each

eldar and my marines

v

orks and nids

the only things left alive at the end of the battle were my vindicator my predator (auto cannon and hb) and the 5 man combat squad guarding these 2 tanks

through out the whole game the vindicator only got 2 shots off due its short range however these 2 shots took out 2 trucks 8 storm boys and an entire squad of 10 tank busters although the table was quite crowded

·
Registered
192 Posts
The only problem I have with the vindicator is its sphere of influence. You say it allows you to control the flow of the game but with the 24" range it's too easily avoided. A predator w/lascannons, a whirlwind or a dev squad with lascannon or missile launcher easily outranges the vindi. Add to that it is no more heavily armored than the predator and ill I've seen em do is serve as a first turn distraction lasting till second turn if theyre lucky.
That's the exact reason why most players use Vindis in pairs. it's much tougher to avoid two tanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
sorry to butt in, and please don't take this as thread jacking, but attack bikes for anti tank duties? ..... movement + multimeltas + nice toughness? would this be a nice option? ok a vindie can do a nasty pie plate at 24 inches and take out a tank, bu what can a single pie plate do that two fast paced multi meltas with the chance of double armour pen. not do for the same cost ish if not less? I see that fault of the meltas being less useful against horde but how about it? attack bikes anyone?

again sorry if this is counted as thread jacking

cheers

1 - 20 of 69 Posts