Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im choosing a chapter, can someone tell me what chapter is the best for close combat? and why, additionally, i might go shooty, what is the best chapter for shooting? i'll be fighting mostly tyranids,tau,eldar,necron

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah they are all pretty much the same. GW just adds the bits in like how Black Templars are very cc and things like that ^_^

·
Registered
213 Posts
space wolves definatly for cc. my wolfies never fail me in cc. blood claws=ownage, and so do grey hunters. with bolters and chainswords... thats beutiful.(damn i suck at spelling)

·
Registered
242 Posts
First lets look at Black Templars. The BP+CCW config is much better than the Bolter config and they are one of 2 chapters that get Plasma Cannons in Tac squads. This means that for their pts cost they will beat most 3+ save opponents in a shootout AND CC. They are IMO a better choice for a shooty army when compared with Dark Angels.

Personally it's quite difficult for me to decide between Wolves and BA. SW are pretty much about massing powerfists/powerweapons/plasma pistols especially in cheap and effective units like Wolf Scouts.

BA lack the mass powerfist CC option but can design a list with 2 Chaplains with Jumpacks giving 6+2D3 Death Company with Jetpacks for 400pts.
Considering Chaplains are 70pts each normally you're effectively paying 260pts for 9 DC Jump Marines. Considering a Assault squad of 9 is 225 pts you're paying roughly 4 extra pts per model for all the DC bonuses. Effectiveness-wise you should probably be paying about 15pts extra per model ;). Als o you can load up the rest of the army with units that benefit from Black Rage such as M.Melta Speeders and Baal Preds or Vindicators.

Personally I've run a double Chaplain, 2 Rhino, 3 Speeder, 3 Vindi list for BA before under the Trial Vehicle Rules (move-and-fire Ord). I must say that it's absolutely sick. Vindis were previously useless as they would normally only be effective in Turns 3-4 onwards and were possibly shot down by then. However in the BA list with TVR they fire in Turns 1-2.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey there are BT users/likers here, don't diss the BT.

·
Registered
841 Posts
being both black templar and space wolf (13TH COMPANY) collecter myself, i'd have to say both have lots of advantages, but the main advantage of wolves is all their troops are feared for Cc example gray slayer, grey hunter with true grit and also blood claws have 4 ATTACKS in a charge
talk about lots of attacks
the main advantage of BT is tht there are well a kinda 50-50 combination of space wolf and dark angels, as they have quite good Cc capability and also have plasma guns
however the main advantage of black templars is that they can have EC as elite, not HQ so it just means that u can havea awesome Cc guy with iron halo, power sword(black sword actually :)) and also the 'challenge' ability which is awesome too as it picks out enemies which u usually dont want to pick with their retinue (for example daemon prince :p)
both armies have amazing capabilities, and both have quite good fluff
(13TH company = my presonal best army imho ut u just never know...)
so i would just say....u have a difficult decision between BT and SW
choose wisely, friend :)
but BT are easier to paint :)
is it just me, but black templar should replace ultramarines as the 'vanilla-vanilla ' army?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Firstly, grey hunters get 2 attacks, not 4, as they don't get one from charging (true grit) and they only have to start with. Secondly, this is for discussion of armys, not for flaming other peoples armys (e.g. this army is rubbish, cos i say so). Thirdly, I would say space wolves just because of their tendancy to be original, and the way that normal troops can be given power claws and power weapons. Also the rune priests storm caller is so much more useful than smite, and the venerable dreadnaught rules are great, and.... well there are loads of reasons but I can't list them all. Although I admit I don't know BT well so they might have great advantages as well. Also, space wolf fluff is very cool.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also, ragnar, every space marine team (i think) has 2 ordinance tanks, thats standard. BT even have the advantage of being able to field as many LR crusaders as they want, which is the ultimate assualt veihcle (sp?).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.