Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VC army is likely to be facing off a giant.

My plan is to surround it with zombies and tie it up for the game. Any other ideas:soldier:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I personally sent a Varghulf against one and won combat. He just happened to roll a 12 on his make or break roll and took off running. I easily ran him down and killed him. Was I lucky? Absolutely, but I wanted to try it and see what happened. Giants are a really random model. You just never know what will happen. Just remember that he has some pretty tough attacks against man sized models, as opposed to something bigger like a Varghulf. You should see some tactical success out of zombies as they will do nothing but tar pit him. You probably will not do much in terms of combat. But, watch out for sending a lot of units at him as a Giant is best used as bait, either to lure forces away from your weak point or to set you up for flank charges as you try to flank the Giant. I would only tackle a Giant if you had no other options or he is off by himself with no support whatsoever. That was the only reason I sent my Varghulf at him. It was a 1vs1 battle with no chance of a flank charge on my Varghulf even after chasing him down.

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
Ghouls; 2 poisoned attacks each. Very useful. Can be IoN:ed back up.

Banshee howl; and wraiths attacks. The giant cant attack back either. Though as is it is LD10 you will need atleast a 9 to cause a wound with the scream. So it might be worth having other units dealing with it.

Tarpit; of your chosing.

Ghoulpit and Banshee scream; the ghouls keep it in place, the banshee helps out to bring it down abit faster.

BIG HAMMER OF DOOM; We've got plenty of hammer units in the form of knights, monsters and characters so a well timed charge(after shaving a wound or two of it) can easily bring it down.

Magic; Plenty of magic missile will bring this beast down since he lacks a save. There are also interesting spells like the beast cowers from the Lore of Beasts which will either just plant him to the ground or prevent him from fighting(which is going to be very useful when using infantry blocks who beat him through static CR).

So there are quite a few ways to downing it, good luck!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
how about a vampire lord with frostblade in a largish unit of skeletons to absorb its attacks then slay it in one round with the frostblade. You'll only need one wound to kill it then
the frostblade is hardly an effective use of your general's magic pts alotment... plus it's overkill, and you're needlessly exposing your general to a model that can potentially gobble him whole!!!

i would never, ever, EVER! send your general after a giant unless he's running a beguile/fury/dreadlance combo and riding a nightmare/hellsteed/dragon...

better ways of dealing with giants:
- ghouls. as mentioned above, they're easy to raise (thank-you summon ghouls!) plus they each throw out 2 poisoned attacks. i've seen giants go down on the charge from a ghoul unit - especially if you can line a up a flank charge! even with a frontal charge though, you should still be able to get 4-5 models in base-to-base contact. that's 9-11 total attacks, so you should reliably get a couple of poisoned hits on him...

- konrad. he's made to simply butcher multi-wound models. throw him into a unit of ghouls and have another vamp in your force w/ghoulkin for the 'free' pre-game move. 16" charge range isn't half bad! (just try and keep konrad within 12" of your general though to avoid him going stupid before you can charge!)

- blood knights. they'll run over pretty much anything in the game on the charge...

- lore of beasts. as mentioned, the beast cowers is a great way to keep a giant out of the game... if he does look to be getting a bit too close for comfort though, just cast bear's anger on a wight king for a 6A/S6/T6 killing machine! if he's in a grave guard unit with the barrows banner, then he's hitting the giant on 3's and killing on 4's.
or else you could make on your vamps an angry bear! then you've got a sickening 6A/S7/T5 critter! now you hit and wound on 3's, but you're risking a vampire... (i prefer to risk a wight king, since he doesn't cost me any magic should the giant eat him!)

- lore of shadows. giants have only basic initiative... a casting or two of pit of shades and the giant's gone...

hope this helps,
cheers!

·
Registered
90 Posts
the frostblade is hardly an effective use of your general's magic pts alotment... plus it's overkill, and you're needlessly exposing your general to a model that can potentially gobble him whole!!!

i would never, ever, EVER! send your general after a giant unless he's running a beguile/fury/dreadlance combo and riding a nightmare/hellsteed/dragon...

better ways of dealing with giants:
- ghouls. as mentioned above, they're easy to raise (thank-you summon ghouls!) plus they each throw out 2 poisoned attacks. i've seen giants go down on the charge from a ghoul unit - especially if you can line a up a flank charge! even with a frontal charge though, you should still be able to get 4-5 models in base-to-base contact. that's 9-11 total attacks, so you should reliably get a couple of poisoned hits on him...

- konrad. he's made to simply butcher multi-wound models. throw him into a unit of ghouls and have another vamp in your force w/ghoulkin for the 'free' pre-game move. 16" charge range isn't half bad! (just try and keep konrad within 12" of your general though to avoid him going stupid before you can charge!)

- blood knights. they'll run over pretty much anything in the game on the charge...

- lore of beasts. as mentioned, the beast cowers is a great way to keep a giant out of the game... if he does look to be getting a bit too close for comfort though, just cast bear's anger on a wight king for a 6A/S6/T6 killing machine! if he's in a grave guard unit with the barrows banner, then he's hitting the giant on 3's and killing on 4's.
or else you could make on your vamps an angry bear! then you've got a sickening 6A/S7/T5 critter! now you hit and wound on 3's, but you're risking a vampire... (i prefer to risk a wight king, since he doesn't cost me any magic should the giant eat him!)

- lore of shadows. giants have only basic initiative... a casting or two of pit of shades and the giant's gone...

hope this helps,
cheers!
frostblade = dwarf lord killer, and really nothing more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts