Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always like each of my armies to have a different type of gameplay to them.
For example I currently have a Swarm Firebase Imperial Guard Army and fast Ork army.

So now I'm looking for a tank heavy army, but before you answer IG armored company keep in mind that all my armies will end up at the Grand Tournament and the armored company list is invalid for GTs here in the UK.

I was thinking of either Tau or Eldar but for what I’ve heard heavy skimmers like the hammerheads and falcons are going to be dimmed down.

So I’m considering an all armored marine army: Tech priest HQ, 3 Dreads, 2 Razorback Squads or Scouts, 3 or more Land Speeders, 2 Preds and 1 Land Speeder Crusader?

Your thoughts on such an army?

·
663 Posts
It will be a good play but the problem will be no templates. Thats what makes the IG tanks so good is that MEQ killing pie plate that it shoots out. I personaly don't like tanks all that much but still use them.

I here though that taking 3 vindicators is a great idea but have never seen or used it.

Also on a side note (Sorry for sharp shooting) swarming IG and fast orks are what i usualy get and not what i would call "diffrent gameplay". However i you get a Tank company of marines to work let me know.

This might be better in the army list section.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I personally have never really thought that SM tanks are that great. Anything tanks can do a SM can do better, well, with the exception of transport, but even then if you want fast you can take assault squads.

I'm sure that someone has made a highly armored SM force and made it work, but with cost both points and cash wise, I don't know if it'd be worth it.

1 Land Speeder Crusader?
That would be the most awesome vehicle EVER. Transports 20 marines, 14 armor all around, fast as a Land Speeder and with hurricane bolters and assault cannons. Ahhhh they need to hurry up and add those rumored Speeder transports like now!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I play DA and I really like tanks. I play "Triple-Wing" (Deathwing, Ravenwing, Ironwing). 2 squads of Ravenwing bikes, 3 Predators with HB and MC (you really don't need Lascas, don't worry) for 95points each, Belial with LC termis with apo and standartbearer, rest shooty termi squads. The tanks pump out a lot of shots against infanterie. With Belial and his squad you go for CC on a flank (teleported through bikes teleporthomers), and you can shoot down the "termi" flank to reduce the firepower the termis have to suffer. So your termis come into CC often without a wound, and then just let them rock. A 95points tank pumps out 7 heavy shots, 21 all the tanks. Even a SMs will suffer damage that will keep your elite termi force alive. And with the new LoS you will only have to suffer the shots of this shot down squad:happy: And the best is- the tanks can stay out of all middle ranged weapons, while a suad can't do that. And the ordinary termis with assault cannons will soak the firepower from the tanks. Tanks are really great, you just have to play the right army composition!

·
Registered
216 Posts
The problem is the strength of the Space Marine army is in....well....the Space Marine. The armored support vehicles of the Space Marines are there to support the Space Marines themselves - and are not designed to fight effectively on their own.

I don't think it is impossible, but a Space Marine tank army would be a challenge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think to make an effective SM Armor Company you would have to use Apocalypse rules to convert some IG weapons to SM.

Space Marines really should stick to the Rhino Rush (that is why I love BA, I can zip 18 inches if I roll a 4+, 24 if there is a road!).

The problem with Tanks is that one lucky shot can bring it down (or just straight up neuter it). For instance, a vindicator that takes an armament destroyed hit is losing its Demolisher Cannon. That leaves it with a Storm Bolter.

I think Blood Angels really have it down for tanks because our Baals can use Over Charged Engines just like our Rhinos. So the Baals can push 12 inches, and still shoot all weapons.

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
So I’m considering an all armored marine army: Tech priest HQ, 3 Dreads, 2 Razorback Squads or Scouts, 3 or more Land Speeders, 2 Preds and 1 Land Speeder Crusader?
I'd even take it a Step further, 2 Land Raiders, 1 Land Raider Crusader, some infantry to go in them, a dread or 2, maybe elite Devastators with HBs to help compensate...

When I get home I'll pull out my Codex and see what I can work up, if you can take LRs as Dedicated Transports for HQ squads you could fit a Pred Destructor in there....

Hmmm....Now I'm interested xD

Mike

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
Most effective would be Space Wolves or Blood Angels I'd think. With Space Wolves you get access to a Leman Russ Exterminator, which mows down infantry better than any pie plate (9 S5, 2 S7 (with rerolls). Or...just make this army:

3 baal predators, 3 land speeder tornadoes, 2 troops in razorbacks w/ lascannons (troops have meltagun + powerfist), 1 dread (lascannon), and a techmarine with 3 HB servitors and a PC servitor.

That's 1500 points, and gets you 12 heavy bolters, 3 TL lascannons, a plasma cannon, 6 assault cannons, and 2 meltaguns. Hordes wouldn't stand a chance.

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
At 2K, I'd run a list with;

2 Land Raiders
1 Land Raider Crusader
1 Predator Destructor
2 Heavy bolter Razorbacks

So 4 TL Las Cannons, 3 TL Heavy Bolters, 1 TL Assault Cannon, 1 Auto Cannon and 2 Heavy Bolters. 20 Jump Pack-less Assault Marines in a LRC(Master Hops in here) and LR, 5 Termies(2 ACs) in the last LR, 2 5 Man Tac squads with a Lascannon each to get the Razorbacks.

I like it.

Mike

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
My view is thus: Space Marines main advantage is excellent infantry with powered armor.
They do not need large tanks, and such vehicles were seen to be a hinderance in the type of warfare usually exhibited by the Space Marines.

Examples:
SM: Good infantry, Bad tanks.
IG: Bad Infantry, Good Tanks
Tau: No CC, Excellent Speed/Firepower.

Of course these are generalizations, but they make good points.

But don't let me stop you. 3 vindicators supported by Dreads and a couple assault marine squads and bikers could be fearsome.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Vehicles everywhere

I don't think you can go too far wrong with a SM vehicle army as long as you rotate around the LandRaider chassis. You need that all round armour to make it workable. Otherwise you will start losing your weapons in whole clumps very quickly. At 1500 or 200 points it is possible to put quite a nasty list together as has been ably demonstrated.

I would love to point out that not many players will have the kit to deal with two landraiders at 1500 points...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.