Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been some debate about this at the game store lately. For the entire time I've known about them, my 40k-playing family members and I pronounced it "ty-rAn-id", as in Tyrannosaurus. However, everyone else I know calls them "tEEr-a-nid". Who's right? Hopefully I am because my pronunciation is way-cool!

·
Orks_n_Bugs
1,388 Posts
I personally go with teer-a-nid but both are equally acceptable.

the two lines of thinking are pretty much this:

1) From the fluff, Tyranids are named after the world Tyran and most people I've met pronounce that as Teer-an, hence Teer-a-nid

2) A fair number of people believe GW derived the word tyranid from the word tyrant, hence tie-ra-nid or with different emphasis tie-rAn-id.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Tie-ran-id sounds terrible, and as stated is not in line w/ the fluff of being named after Tyran.

Tee-ruh-nids for the win.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I pronounce it teeranid, although tieranid and as in tyranusaurus makes sense and sounds good as well IMO

·
663 Posts
toi be honest i never realized that there were two ways of pronouncing int till i took the time to sound out the spelling. I belive that the way i say it is to devide up the word Tyran and nid. so its tyran-nid. But i don't care how its said.

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
What sounds the best to me? Teer-ah-nid
Based on all of the evidence (Tyrant, Tyran (which I think would be Tie-ran), the roots mean it should go Tie-Ran-Nid, but I don't like the sound of it.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
I suppose in retrospect I don't really care, but I do get irritated when people refer to them as bugs. Let's not open that one up again (NO I DID NOT, SRSLY), though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I thought it was meant to be pronounced "tirranid" (the first "i" being as in "Timothy")

I do know one person who pronounces the Y as in "tyrant", but that always grates on my ears as I'm used to everyone else I know pronouncing it the other way.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Heh I've always pronunced it as tie-ra-nid but the others in my group also teer-ah-nid but in all honesty either one sounds fine to me. Though I do have to make a point that GW when they first made the nids they thought of them as dinosaurs in space thus the Tyranusaurus pronunciation would make the most sense.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tie-ra-nid as indeed from Tyrant is i is meant to be. Also keep in mind that it they are named from an imperium point of view, who speak high gothic. Which is some kind of latin. So Tyrant --> tyran --> Tyranid. SOunds more evil and darker too ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Having played against, and lost, them filthy bugs belonging to Head Office staff, I tell thee that they say Teer-ra-nid. The "Ty" don't fly with staff members or veteran gamers that I know.

Plus ever since Imperial Doctrine Alpha-1984//BB/NS Cira M.35-Structure of Linguistics:

"The following shall be removed from all documents and media sources, for they art an offence upon himself, the Mighty God Emperor and his humble servants the
Adeptus Ministorum:

- Autocrat
- Czar
- Despot (unless in ref: to the Great Enemy)
- Dictator
- Potentate
- Totalitarian
- Tyranny
- Tyrant

etc"

The people of the 40k Universe wouldn't know the word Tyrant...
Never mind
Tyrannosaurus.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm trying to recall a 40k game where you heard one of the characters mentioned Tyranid. IIRC correctly, they pronounced it; tear-ah-nid. But hey; toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

·
Orks_n_Bugs
1,388 Posts
I'm trying to recall a 40k game where you heard one of the characters mentioned Tyranid. IIRC correctly, they pronounced it; tear-ah-nid. But hey; toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.
I vaguely recall a reference to them in Fire Warrior at the end of the first mission but I can't remember if they actually say the name. My curiosity may lead me to track down and hook up my PS2 to find out...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Having played against, and lost, them filthy bugs belonging to Head Office staff, I tell thee that they say Teer-ra-nid. The "Ty" don't fly with staff members or veteran gamers that I know.

That's a pretty good point. However, if I'm not mistaken, those are the same guys who are killing the Bitz order for all of us. So I'd take anything that they say/do with a grain of salt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.