Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
King of Curiosity
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to dwarfs and I've only had a few battles with them, but I'm curious as to what your favorite unit is and why. Now being new to dwarfs I don't really have a favorite unit yet, but I kinda like the idea of suicidal, redheaded, mohawked dwafs. So I like troll slayers, although I have never used them, they just seem cool! So what is your favorite unit. I'd love to hear some responses from experienced players!

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Warriors. The staple of any dwarf army. A block of 20 with shield and command can hold up most infantry in the game for a few turns, even winning as well. Their stats are above average for a basic unit and they're tough as nails.

Never leave without at least two units of 20.

Kuffy

·
Registered
146 Posts
i argee but i am stuck with either IB or LB

for the reasons

IB toughest inf in game i believe? not quite sure

LB u got to love core units with Stre 7 great weapons and 5 ws(i think) lol
absolutaly tears enemies up

longbeards are like grass mowers, they just go foward and chop things to bits

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with the warriors, but my favourite unit would have to be the grudge thrower - it never fails to destroy at least double its points every game.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Long Beards. Ws5 St 4 3+ armour save. The phrase "All day mate, all day" springs to mind.

In terms of destructive power a Grudge Thrower with Rune of Accuracy and two runes of penetration plus a Master Engineer is a must.

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the grudge thrower two runes of penetrating are a waste of points IMO. For 3 reasons - you don't need above strength 10 for the direct hit (and in fact you cant go above that anyway), strength 5 is sufficient to wound most armies on a 2+ still, and lastly strength 6 does not help with any minus to armour save (no armour save allowed to begin with).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I personnally like hammerers, especially with a lord in them and a BSB close, but even if they're alone, they do great in 1k-1.5k battles... they're a game winning unit!:)

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
With the grudge thrower two runes of penetrating are a waste of points IMO. For 3 reasons - you don't need above strength 10 for the direct hit (and in fact you cant go above that anyway), strength 5 is sufficient to wound most armies on a 2+ still, and lastly strength 6 does not help with any minus to armour save (no armour save allowed to begin with).
I feel my general units will be able to take care of most units with Toughness 3. My grudge thrower therefore will be aiming for Toughness 4 (or higher) units. Given the overall investment of a Master Engineer and the stone thrower itself the additional points to guarentee wounding on 2+ is worth it.

If I knew which army I was fighting (for example elves) then I would be tempted to go for Strength 5 and use the points to purchase a rune of spellbreaking.

In blind list armies though, better to go for certainity rather than subtlety.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very true, some good points. I'm very biased i suppose because there are about 6-8 people playing warhammer at our store and over half of them use elves or empire :). Back on topic though, i know iv'e already voted for the GT, but the hammerers come in a very close second, i just had to mention them.

·
RAWR! KROXIGOR!!
1,935 Posts
Hmm... Its going to be hard to choose.

Organ guns, Gyrocopters and Miners would be the highlight units for me.

Organ guns - One of the last units in the game that does not have to roll to hit. Also, it takes up very little space for its power output (unlike thunderers and quarrellers) and has 360 line of sight (that pesky captain on pegasus is safe nowhere :sinister:).

Gyrocpter - It can move more then 6" a turn... Also it roasts elves nicely.

Miners - One point more the Warriors with GW, but have one of the most flexible special rules in the game. I have found that a Thane with RoBrotherhood and MRoChallenge with them to be very useful, nothings like being able to make Level 4 wizard, Dragons, hierophants and cowardly casting vampires come into combat with you, when are where you want it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought hierophants (liche priests) and vampires were immune to psychology because they are undead? Of course the combo r o brotherhood and m r o challenge is great overall:)

indeed many people like the organ gun, but also i think many dwarf players have experienced the many misfires and the Destroyed! result...

besides hammerers, a gyrocopter is a great addition to any dwarf army. it flies 20"!! also the steam gun is great, and it marchblocks people so that your army has more rounds of shooting:) and dont forget that you will easily take on frenzied units because you can flee, rally automattically and still move:O (and it never misfires:))

·
Registered
146 Posts
In all my games as dwarfs i mus be blessed by the dice gods... I have never rolled a misfire for teh first shot of the organ gun...

*knocks on wood*

but anyways organ guns are by far my favorite unit. theres nothign like wiping out an entire unit of blood knights wiht one shot *sigh* good times....

i almost alwasy fill my rares with just organ guns

·
Registered
84 Posts
i know I'm a bit late to the thread :p but i feel i have to put my 2 cents in.
in my mind the best unit for dwarfs would have to be Long beards with great weapon.
fallowed close by organ gun i once used it to wipe a unit of 10 chaos knights in 1 turn. with the help of a block of warriors right behind it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts