Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ebay fishing for wood elves and am now at the point where I need your expert guidance as to where to go next.

The current list is 1000 points and there are gold stars for highlighting what it needs next to become competitive.

Altar Noble 158
Great Weapon, Lt Armour, Shield, Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrows

Spellsinger 140
2 x dispel scroll

10 Night Glade Guard (Scouts) 170

12 Summer Glade Guard 144

12 Autumn Glade Guard 144

7 War Dancers 126

7 War Dancers 126

I have a mounted elf (sword & shield) which could trade in for one of the characters

Another wardancer and a second spellsinger converted from a wardancer which could be used as either. reading these threads it seems the perceived wisdom is wardancers in units of 7.... is this 1 rank with 2 overlaps on standard 5 man frontage or am I missing something?

I also have the mandatory treeman.

The Summer & Autumn Glade Guard include command models which could be dropped if units of 10 are better value.

The Night Glade Guard have no command and could just as well be ordinary GG as they are a bit pricey for 1K unless fighting an army with warmachines.

• So, what would be the next unit you would buy?

• What would you drop to make room for what at 1000 points?

• What would you add and change to take it to 1500 points?
Thanks in advance for all your help

Flannercus

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, for starters I'd never run glade guard larger than a unit of ten unless I was doing something special.

I think you're going to need Wild Riders eventually. Having no static resolution means you must have something to break ranks.

Dryads are quite essential IMO. War Dancers are hugely vulnerable to missile, fire, and Dryads can screen them. Also, they can screen your glade guard if you need to get them into close range without getting shot at. Beyond that, they're quite handy in combat.

If I'm taking War Dancers, I always have at least on unit of dryads per dancer unit. Preferably more.

An extra dispel caddy or a branch wraith will be nice when you go up to 1.5K or 2K.

I might get a box or two of Dryads next. Then convert some Wild Riders, or buy some. I'd recommend conversion, if you have the know how, as the models are quite pricey.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Dryads for sure. Two units of 8 will do you quite well. Then an eagle and maybe glade riders. Glade Riders are a great fast cav unit and you need something that's not Immune to Psych so that you can set up traps, bait and flee, run interference, and so on. Warhawk riders will do the trick, too, and the fact that they fly is a one up on glade riders.

Wild Rideres are great, but dryads, an eagle, and then riders/hawks will serve you better now and later.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another vote for Dryads. They're awesome. I run them in units of 8 and generally flank charge with them.

Wardancer unit size - 7 because that's you're likely frontage, I prefer 8 since I always seem to lose 1.

I'd personally only run scouts in small units - that have a minimum unit size of 5 and I think that's a good size for them. It means you can sacrifice them to a worthy cause without losing too many points, they're easier to hide in terrain and it makes them good bait (since you can deploy them last, people seem to assume that means they're awesome and focus on wiping them out thus letting you move your other units under less pressure).

So I'd suggest:

Alter (as above) = 158
Spellsinger (as above) = 140

5 x Scouts = 85
10 x Glade Guard + musician = 126
10 x Glade Guard + musician = 126
8 x Dryads = 96

8 x Wardancers = 144
5 x Glade Riders or 3 x Warhawk Riders = 120

Total: 995​

For the move to 1.5k I reckon Wild Riders are a good bet and whichever one of Glade/Warhawk riders you didn't take at 1k. Treeman is worth considering too of course.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quick response... I agree with everything posted above. Dryads... yes please. Glade Guard - no larger than 10.

"Another wardancer and a second spellsinger converted from a wardancer which could be used as either. reading these threads it seems the perceived wisdom is wardancers in units of 7.... is this 1 rank with 2 overlaps on standard 5 man frontage or am I missing something?"

Look at it this way. Wardancers are skirmishers - they rank up to whoever charges them. Thus a standard 5 man infantry unit would look like this when set up against your 7 wardancers:

XXXXX -Infantry
XXXXXXX -Wardancers

As you can see, they will overlap and be able to attack as well since when combat is being lined up you must attempt to have as many models in combat as is possible. Hence you will not have 1 rank and 2 useless behind.

Hopefully that quick response makes your day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.