Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here i am again, with yet another of my painting ideas/questions.

My goal, is for a space marine to be painting black, then have silver bits that looks like chips or scrapes in his armour. Now im just wondering if anyone has tried this or know of any pictures that illustrate this. They would be a great help to me.

Thankyou for your tollerance towards my lack of knowledge :)
...SB

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah nice....i seen this link awhile ago, but forgot about it. This helps quite abit.

While looking around I have seen some pictures of Black Legion Chaos Marines...and i was thinking of doing something similar, but different. I wanna have black as the main colour with chainmail edging and stuff. Would the Black Legion be closest to this desired effect?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea well i dont play chaos, i was creating a DIY chapter, which are based around the BL colour scheme. I was just wondering what other guides or images are out there that i can look at to get ideas to run with that scheme. The Black Templars are usally black with white or grey, not much use, where as the Black Legion have silver/gold on them, more along the lines of my desired effect.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm yea i seen that...its good. I think ill run with something like that. Just abit messyer. I like the look of the black and the silver, hopefully i can transfer the image in my head onto my model.

Thanks for your help
SB

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
IMO I think the Black Legion is a really boring color-theme, but I got it as you were to play Loyalist marines and then there are ample oppurtunities to paint prayers, litanies and so on on their armour and make purity seals as well. They would be a little like the new BT, but I am sure you can find out some way to "personal".

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Time for me to give it a go as well :)

I think that it you only use black and silver it will look boring. But get a few contrast in there and it can work. I’m not a fan of metallic colors, I often just use gray and paint on my scratches. Also I sometimes make spots with blazed orange to get a little rust. When I paint a scratch I keep the top of the scratch dark gray, the bottom bright gray and black be twin.
Its more easy to use silver and a black wash make it looks better and not stand out to much.

As for the color on the miniature, throw in some blue, red or both. Green can also work but it can get sallow by the black, I shod highlight the green with yellow mixed to it, to avoid this. Same with blue if you don’t get a ice blue, use white in the blue for highlights.

Just black and silver will not look that good IMO.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Black really need other colors to look good and the right highlight so it don’t look gray. Keep the highlights close to the edges and don’t go to bright or to dark. Try to get the areas where the light shod shine, this is more important with black then any other color.

The shoulder pads is a good Idée, things like that is what black needs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i just went to do some bed time reading and poped out an old White Dwarf for a read. WD 297 in fact. I stumbled upon an article on Steve Cumiskey's Hellion Legion...read through it all and have been greatly inspired. Im planing on something like them. I love the fluff and overall think they are really well done. I dunno if anyone remembers the articles, but i think that their paint job look good, even though it is basic. I wanna base mine in Snow conditions though, so they will be different.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah! Thats the suckers! The colours that i wanted and there not boring at all. I think they look great. Question about snow now...abit off topic but ill just pop it in here anyway...most people paint weathering effects such as dirt and stuff on the their models with a drybrush technique or something similar...now is it possible to achive the same effect with snow...maybe drybrushing white or something?

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
You know, snow melt when touching warmer surfaces so it would look really strange if they had snow on them. And since they are on a battlefield, I imagine there would be more dirt on their armour as they have to throw themsleves in to trenches and get pounded by artillery all the day. ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good point i supose...but i wanted to base their "homeworld" as such in a snow covered area. Therefore during battle they would be throwing themselves into snow filled trenchs and getting alittle chilly. But the idea is kinda vanishing, as i think that maybe you are right and i should stick to dirt. I checked out some articles on CMON and they help abit...im just looking around to see if there are anymore before i completly abolish my idea.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol....yup thats a gud idea...i have found ways of making snow bases etc using bi carb from articles from here on LO and other places. What im planing on doing, i think, ill just do dirt but have a little snow still on the base of the mini. Therefore i have the best of both worlds :yes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts