Librarium Online Forums banner

What should I use in the DE army I'm starting????

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  SoulTormentorr 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im wondering what you would reccomend for me to use in a dark eldar army at 1000, 1500 and 2000 points, im going to be using it in tournaments so I need it to be competitive.

#2 · (Edited)
truthfully it depends what ya got for models.
can't go wrong with tons of warriors, raiders and ravagers.

What kind of army you after?
Kabal (mix of everything)
raider force(generally consists of mostly warriors and some wyches on raiders)
wych army raider force (wyches and warpbeast army)
WWP (this can be used for all other of armies)
Coven (allows for mistakes but hard to play)
static lance (the 20-30+ lance cheesy list)
footslogging swarm.(my fav so many numbers your enemy can't deal with it)
army of shadows (wouldnt use this for tourney, consists of lots of deepstriking)

theres alot of types and each work equally aswell depending on the general and style of play.
I tend to use all types from time to time.

Tourney wise though id have a mix of all.

mines would read something like

HQ, definitely incubi
2 squads of wyches in raiders
2 squads of warriors in raiders
2 lance 5 man squads in raiders.

then maybe 3 ravagers or 3 taloi in WWP + what ever else ya fancy.

3 taloi would be in WWP and id bring a squad fo groteques and 2 heamies to get that portal deployed. Can't really go wrong with this type of army in a tourney.
But once again depends on what models ya got.

#3 ·
Well I live in New Zealand, and I have a total of (Roughyl):

7 Raiders
3 Ravagers
4 Talos
160 Warriors
40 Wyches
5 Warpbeasts + Master
5 or 6 Archons and Dracons, at least one on a Jetbike. :p
20 or so Incubi
16 Mandrakes
7 Reavers
12 Scourges (Althought I WONT be using these in a tournament!)
3 Haemonculi + Another 9 Brand New in Blisters!!!!!
6 Grotesques

Well I think that pretty much covers it! (Btw if anyone wants to buy some of these pm me, I have alot more than I need!)

As for the type of Army I want, I was thinking of using the whole 10 Skimmers ALL coming through WWP, 3 wych squads, 3 ravagers, and 4 warrior squads, not too sure whether I should take gunboats, assault boats, or Ghost ship snipers for the 4 warrior ones tho.

The WWP will be deployed by 2 Haemonculi behind 2 squads of 16-20 Warriors including 2 DL each.

#4 · (Edited)
The WWP will be deployed by 2 Haemonculi behind 2 squads of 16-20 Warriors including 2 DL each.
don't quite play it that way myself.
personally id go for two ghost ship 5 man lance warrior squads and deploy separately.
then 2 big warrior squads(15+) 2 SC's, prefer not to use any other upgrades although i did in the past, ive yet to get these squads in range for blasters and HTH.
something i decided in a game i played recently.

Biggest reason is cover, i usually get good cover, they are more effective to support fire when your HTH units are coming from the WWP. cover increases their survivability after the WWP is down.
plus 24" is a big range and SC's do hurt, i would prefer the cover save and splinter shots instead of losing my squad trying to reach HTH through shooting.

this setup comes to roughly 650 with 2 heamies then put your other half of the army in the portal, i would recommend a ravager as a fire magnet.

then the rest is up to you make some good HTH units on raiders.
use the standard lances for anti tanks on raiders and you should have enough anti-tank power as well.

You can't go far wrong with this army in a tourney IMO.

#5 ·
Well I was thinking that I should use the minumum ammount of points to get the WWP's on the board so that I get more through the portal at once. Are the 2 ghost ships at the start really that effective? As for the Ravager, it would get shot down pretty much instantly with minimal effort, so it probably wouldn't absorb a whole lot of fire for 100pts.

Well I've just made up this army list for 2000pts, and I'd remove 1 squad of Wyches and a few warriors for a 1500 pt game.

Archon with Shadow Field, Drugs, Tormentor Helm, Punisher, Plasma Nades - 137
2 Haemonculi with Scissorhand and WWP, Plasma Nades - 164

9 Wyches, wych weps, raider w dissie or terrorfex (Joined by Archon) - 177
9 Wyches, wych weps, raider w dissie or terrorfex, succubus with drugs, Plasma Nade - 212
9 Wyches, wych weps, raider w dissie or terrorfex, succubus with drugs, Plasma Nade - 212

15 Warriors, 2 DL or SC - 140
15 Warriors, 2 DL or SC - 140
5 Warriors, DL, Raider - 105
5 Warriors, DL, Raider - 105
10 Warriors, Raider - 135
10 Warriors, Raider - 135

1 Ravager, 2 Disintegrator, 1 DL - 115
1 Ravager, 2 Disintegrator, 1 DL - 115
1 Ravager, 3 DL - 105

Total of 97 Models, 1999 Points

Everything would come through the portal except 2 haemonculi and 30 Warriors 8X
Thats a total of 10 (TEN!!) Skimmers coming out at once. The wyche squads all have drugs so that I can choose the options they take and give them more than 1 if I want to, which guarantees a total move of 27-32 (12 for Raider, 2 for disembarkment, D6 fleet, 12 Assault) inch move so they should easily get into combat. The ghost ships give them a few more things to shoot at and make the opponent even more worried, and the other 20 warriors in Raiders can either rapid fire, or join the assault if they need to. The Ravagers just shoot the crap out of everything!

The only other ting I could take is a Warp Beast Pack, but i'm not sure where i'd get the points.

Please comment on this!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
Bit of a misconception, sepiroth:

sepiroth said:
The wyche squads all have drugs so that I can choose the options they take and give them more than 1 if I want to
Not quite how it works. If you give a succubus a drug dispenser, that applies to only the character with it, not the entire squad. (Believe me, if it worked that way every wych squad i had would have a combat drug dispenser and most likely a 12 inch charge; but that just doesn't work. You still need to roll for drugs, and then you can choose to give the succubus a different choice (or several) but if you suffer a wound, the succubus then dies.

And yeah, that's a nice collection. Overall, I don't suggest trying a basic raider rush. It just doesn't work against canny players in fourth edition. Your raiders are paper thin, and they WILL get shot down. When that happens, you'll lose close to half the squad minimally, and they'll be entangled after that so the speed you gained from the raider is mostly lost again.

The real question is whether you want to do a foot-slogging list, or a webway list. Both have their advantages. A foot-slogging list is basically overwhelming your opponent with numbers of targets, and using sacrificial skimmers (either raiders or ravagers) to hit them hard, and force them to shoot them down and you can use them as cover if there isn't enough.

A webway list involves you hiding the bulk of your force in the webway, to come out the turn after you open your portal. Usually a webway portal is opened turn 2-3, giving you enough time to have most of your reserves ready to storm out. and smash into your opponent with enough force that they can't recover. The trick is figuring out how much of your army to deploy right away, and how much to hide in the webway. Frankly, that comes down to practice.

#10 ·
Haha thanks DEfan :p Well I bought it off trademe for a total of about 550 or so... pretty good really. When are you moving to NZ btw and where abouts?

Actually IMO that IS how it works, I've had this discussion before. I quote from the codex 'If the Wych succubus leading the squad has a combat dispenser then its effects only apply to THEM (Implying the entire squad as opposed to HIM meaning only the succubus) and replace the effect of the SQUAD'S (Yet again implying not only the succubus) own evil concoctions.' I know its not very well worded, but it definitely uses plurals in there so i'm going to use that to my advantage.

Back to the main topic, I'm planning on using it as a WWP army. Despite the fact that the raiders are very fragile, I think the fact that close to 10 are coming out at once should help me, especially when many of the models are going to be straight into combat. I'll also be getting a few Lance shots, as well as alot of Dissie shots, which should be able to thin down the enemy tanks and heavy weapons squads if im lucky.

Also, not a lot of people know about Dark Eldar, I know that i got annihilated in a 2000pt tournament in which i used Daemonhunters because of their high Initiative value.

#14 ·
Actually IMO that IS how it works, I've had this discussion before. I quote from the codex 'If the Wych succubus leading the squad has a combat dispenser then its effects only apply to THEM (Implying the entire squad as opposed to HIM meaning only the succubus) and replace the effect of the SQUAD'S (Yet again implying not only the succubus) own evil concoctions.' I know its not very well worded, but it definitely uses plurals in there so i'm going to use that to my advantage.
I've never read it that way. The plural is to represent 'him or her', because the succubus can be male or female. It'd be ridiculously powerful to pay 25 points to choose the combat drug for an entire squad, varying it from turn to turn depending on what you happen to need. I'd love for that to be the case, but it's just not.

#11 ·
550?!? For all that!? A steal!! I will be moving back to Christchurch in April. If youre a Southerner, maybe I'll see you around. Then destroy you.
Are you sure you want to stone your succubus? That's 50 points for a single wound character. One overdose and it's urrk urrk ahh. You could nab 2 more wyches, nearly, by cutting the elfroids. Leave the medicine for the multi-wounders!

#12 ·
Yeah, I didn't think it was too bad either :) I actually live in timaru, about 2 hours away from chch.

Well I'm taking the rules to mean that his combat drugs effect the enitre wych squad, so it makes him worth it because it will give his squad a guaranteed 12" charge, meaning that they are pretty much guaranteed to get into combat straight away. It's actually only 38 points btw :p

#18 ·
Dark Eldar are a great race that are often underestimated which is usually a plus for us :rofl
For a while now I have been following Karantalsis's posts because I have leeched so much useful information off them.

I would like to point out that DE, as they are not overly flexible but are just great, usually have a similar army list that everyone takes unless it is experimental. These lists (modest, no cheese) usually consist of dracons (with incubi), ravagers, assault boats, sniper squads, large assault squads, wyches (with raider), haemonculi and sometimes WWP. If you need reference to those, search for karantalsis's tactica for dark eldar.

You are free to experiment, but due to the nature of the Dark Eldar, those squads are most useful to us. The best thing to do if you are new to 40K or dark eldar is to post in this forum and everyone will help... trust me, I was new once 0:.

P.S. I think most people regard me still as new so...

ST

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.