Librarium Online Forums banner

What size brush?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  NonstickRon 
#1 ·
After looking around the board it seems that one of the best brushes to get is the winsor & newton series 7. My question is what are the most common sizes that you use or what would you recomend for a noobie to start with?

Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
I think it's really important to have more then one brush. Each of the different sizes has it's advantages in different situations. You don't want to paint a big surface with a fine detail brush, nor do you want to paint details with a huge one.

What really is important is not the size of the brush but how fine a point you can get the bristles to make and how much paint it can keep.

#3 ·
I use a 1 or 0 and for details a 000. The larger brush is actually more useful for most things. I would also recommend getting a cheaper large (tank) brush and a couple of flat brushes for drybrushing. I personally have the 1 or 0 and the 000 windsor and newtons and they work great. I use cheap brushes for the other stuff.

Cheers,

-Mike

#4 ·
Yeah, I agree completely with what the hairy one said above me. I use virtually the same brushes. I have used 5-0 brushes and own a 10-0 brush, but the 3-0 gives a much smoother and more predictable line. The 5-0 is OK, but the 10-0 is only good for placing inks in crevasses.

#5 ·
which is the smallest? i dont know much about brush sizes, just use em as best i can, but i have a GW fine detail, but its really worn out and have always wanted a smaller brush, and what is the 7 series one for about, or a little bit bigger then the GWFD, brush?

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.