Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are zoats i have heard of them and have seen pics bit what are army did they belong to? because it is clear that those models are at least 10 years old

·
Boiiing!
1,392 Posts
They used to be a race unto themselves

In 1st and 2nd edition there were...

Zoats
Genestealers
Tyranids

Genestealers were then incorporated intro the tyranid list, and the Zoats disapeared into the same warp-storm as the Squats

I think thats all correct.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Zoats started in WHFB, they were something like a rhino equivalent of a centaur only scaley and hung around with the wood elves. Good psychers, monsterous and from what I recall a HQ choice, GW did the usual thing and duplicated them into 40K as space zoats, I may be off but I think in 40K they allied them with tyranids. They went the way of the squat a long time ago

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
As i said, in WHFB they were allied to wood elves, however when they transfered tehm to40K, initially they, I think, gave tehm as options to Eldar but rapidly transfered them to Nids, so it is likely that there is supporting fluff

·
217 Posts
There's an article on the UK GW website entitled "forgotten fleets", containing Colossi. The new tyranid book implies that the zoats are the same creatures as the inhabitants of something called Hive Fleet Colossus, and that they achieved independence from the hive mind, but were defeated in a war which abbreviates to "Zo-at" (Zoastran-Attillan, or something like that).

The article shows how you could make one: the cheapest way would be to use an ogre bull and a cold one to make a kind of centaur. It seems that they use tyranid weapons, and are very hard.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yeah that's the one, looks like they tried to do to the Zoats what they did to the Squats - kill them off permanently as obsolete fluff.

However if you wanted to bring them back via the forgotten fleets article, that's all well and good.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Geeze everything that GW fails at or doesnt like is lost in a warp storm. Squats, The Rainbow Marines, and the Zoats. It looks to me like gw doesnt like to lose:shifty:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
?

Geeze everything that GW fails at or doesnt like is lost in a warp storm. Squats, The Rainbow Marines, and the Zoats. It looks to me like gw doesnt like to lose

what were Rainbow Marines?

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
They look a bit like the SM equivalent of Greenpeace. Rainbow warriors, what a horrible name.
Zoats were quite ugly, horrible lumpy models- good idea for a race though

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
In relation to Zoats: In many parts of the Old World, Zoats are regaarded as creatures of Legend. it is not Known where or how they developed, or even whether they are really native to the Known World at all. What is certain however, is that they are incredible ancient and very powerful. They are solitary by nature, and are occasionally encountered in the depths of the most ancient forests of the old world. Despite thei bulf they are quite and reclusive and can move through the deepest undegrowth without maling a sound. Ocasionally , they have dealings with Elves and other forest dwelling races and they have been known to make contact with human druids from time to time. It is said that they are powerful magicians and that strive to keep the forsests free of marauding goblinoids, ancient Elvish songs and Legends tell of Zoats sometimes coming to the aid of Elven Settlements attacked by Goblinoids and their Kin.

Description-Imagine if a Lizard man was a centaur and then bulked out- that was a Zoat
Also In Wh40K Zoats were the "Ambassadors" for the Tyranids able to communicate with other races (this is from the Novel Space marine)

M-7
Ws-6
Bs-2
S-5
T-5
W-3
I-5
A-2
Ld-10
(Included for comparitive purposes.)

I am sure that the Rainbow Warriors were a heretical Chapter that appeared very early in WH40K's history?

·
217 Posts
The Rainbow Warriors crop up in Rogue Trader, in the first introduction to the Sisters of Battle. There's a picture of a sister (who looks like a nun with a wimple in power armour with a couple of spikes on her chestplate - ie daft) shooting a Rainbow Marine in what must be some kind of heresy-purging action. In a White Dwarf about a year ago there was a reference to that picture, as it was the first mention of the Sisters, and it implied that the RW chapter had been wiped out by them.

So indeed, it seems they have gone the Way of the Squat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts