Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started to play WHFB as warriors of chaos, and enjoy them, but I do sometimes envy those good looking gun lines. SO, I decided that instead of starting another FB army, i might as well get involed in 40k, and Tau are by far the coolest army in the world of 40k, plus thier gunlines are awesome. So my question to you, the great Tau warriors, is when starting my new gunline, should I buy the battleforce, or buy plenty of independent units?

Thanks

Dandaman

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Well, you're correct in that the Tau are by far the coolest army in the world of 40k. :)

But if by "gunline" you mean "infantry-based" gunline, then Tau is not the army for you. None of our Troops options (save Krootox) can carry any heavy weaponry, and that is what makes or breaks any kind of infantry gunline. If you can't crack enemy tanks or put wounds on enemy MCs from long distance with every unit in your force organization, then you can't make a gunline.

And Tau can't make a gunline. Tau's specialty is quick, mobile firepower. Our Troops are fragile and pretty much only good for stalling, harassing, or screening (usually Kroot) or for scoring objectives or putting the final wounds on depleted enemy infantry units (usually Fire Warriors dropping out of their Devilfish transport).

If a gunline is what you're after, there is only one army to play: Imperial Guard. The only other armies that can pump out significant infantry-based firepower are Tyranids and Space Wolves.

Reactions: dandaman

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly, coming from warriors of chaos, having one unit of shooters is an improovment, but speed and shooting is more what i meant, I love the idea of the battlesuits, and fire squads are frikin awesome, but should I get the box, of start buying battle suits and fire squads individually?

Thanks

·
169 Posts
I would suggest the Battleforce. That will give you a really good start, since the only thing you may not use out of it are the Stealth Suits. Convert half of the Fire Warriors to Pathfinders and you'll have a great start to an army. Then just start buying Suits.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, very good, thanks alot, btw, how many suits are enough for 1000 points? I plan on buying alot of my units together, so knowing exatly what I need to buy would be appreciated.

·
169 Posts
I plan on running about 5-7 Battlesuits (including the Commander) plus another 1-2 Broadsides at 1000 points.

This is my rough 1000pt list:
1x Commander Shas'el
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker

3x XV8 Crisis Suit
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker

3x XV8 Crisis Suit
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker

2x XV88 Broadside
Advanced Stab. System

6x Fire Warriors

10x Kroot
3x Kroot Hound

10x Kroot
3x Kroot Hound

2x Piranha
Fusion Blaster

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh, very cool, so if I wanted a hammerhead, would I drop a broadside and a FK (so proud of myself for knowing that :D ) or would there be another option?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ahhh, very cool, so if I wanted a hammerhead, would I drop a broadside and a FK (so proud of myself for knowing that :D ) or would there be another option?
you could, but the above list is really good as it is. the only thing i would consider changing is having 3 teams of 2 XV8s, rather than 2 teams of 3. if he had PFs i wouldn't though

if you get that list and read "5th Edition Tau Tactica" in number6's signature, you'll be winning games all over the show

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you get that list and read "5th Edition Tau Tactica" in number6's signature, you'll be winning games all over the show
Sounds good, I like winning :) O, and I would really like a FW team, I know they aren't amazing but I feel like they're one of the coolest units is the army, plus i want to paint them with the same scheem, (all white with a navy blue underlay and grey camo!!!! :O )

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds good, I like winning :) O, and I would really like a FW team, I know they aren't amazing but I feel like they're one of the coolest units is the army, plus i want to paint them with the same scheem, (all white with a navy blue underlay and grey camo!!!! :O )
thats a great colour scheme :) very samurai

and yeah, i like having a full team of FW too :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts