Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so I caved in and just started a 2nd army (first army was Necrons). A buddy and I split the Assault on Black reach models out and I took the Space marines. So I'm trying to think what I should get next to get up to 1,000 points.

I haven't got the codex yet (heck haven't even started on the models), just kind of wondering what people's opinions on that is. My buddy recommended a predator. Another said to get another dreadnaught so I have the 4 arms in a normal box to make both dreads how I want them, etc.

For those unfamiliar with the Black reach set it includes:
1 captain
10 tac marines
5 terminators
1 Dreadnaught

I've love to hear people's opinions.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Honestly, the codex. Get it, and start brainstorming some list ideas, what you want in your force, what looks good. Before starting up any army beyond the very beginning stages, I always recommend buying the codex.

After the codex, you usually can't go wrong with another box or two of Tactical Squads, or some Rhinos or Drop Pods. But for most of the units, you're going to want to look through the codex and figure out what you want before laying the money down on them. The codex has quite a few different units, and very few of them are "mandatory" or can really be suggested over one another beyond personal player preference.

Deciding on what chapter you want to play, what special characters or DIY characters you'll be taking, and how you want the list to play on the table is more important to your army selection than what we tell you to buy. In the end, it's your list, and only the codex will truly help you make it how you want it!

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True enough...I'm getting the codex from a buddy soon. I just was wondering not so much about what I'll choose. But what others find are strong units, weak ones, etc.

Just looking for opinions about what others would choose. That's all.

·
Registered
825 Posts
After the codex I'd get another Tactical squad followed closely by getting at least one Razorback box. That way you can use it as a Razorback or a Rhino. After that I'd probably get a Vindicator or Predator.

·
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's smart. I was thinking a transport would be nice. Thanks for the tip on the razorback!

I'm not really familiar with Space Marines other than i know they're supposed to have a LOT of custimization options. Like I could make a CC focused group, a shooty group, or a balanced one. Can't wait to read through the codex!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you have the cash, i'd go for the Dark Angels Ravenwing big box. Six bikes, an attack bike and a land speeder, and lots of extra goodies for lots cheaper than buying the kits individually. You dont have to make them as Dark angels, and lots of people more experienced than me take bike heavy marine armies.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Why not black reach again?

Go halves with your friend and you pay 50 dollars (in Australia) and get nearly 200 dollars worth of space marine. and you can never have enough dreads, tactical marines or terminators.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would say a form of Fast attack. Followed by a devestator Squad for Heavy Support, Then likely later on, a Razorback (as stated earlier) then a Land Raider for your termies. So how are the models? Do the snap together look nice? does it come with any extra upgrades?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Perhaps a battleforce or of course, like choclategork said another AOBR won't do. Slightly off-topic but the AOBR is called a starter set, and yet the space marine army apart from being used as DA, is not a legal army:

1 HQ,

1 troops

2 elites

Just wanted to point that out.

·
Ogre Tyrant
921 Posts
Perhaps a battleforce or of course, like choclategork said another AOBR won't do. Slightly off-topic but the AOBR is called a starter set, and yet the space marine army apart from being used as DA, is not a legal army:

1 HQ,

1 troops

2 elites

Thats quasi-true. While you couldn't use it as a legal army when you were playing in a GW store, if you had just started out no-one would have a preoblem with you fielding them at two units of 5 and the missile launcher and flamer counting as bolt guns.

Also - it IS a legal army. Look in the rulebook - at 400 points you can play a game called 'combat patrol' which requires only 1 troops choice to be taken.

In answer to someone else's question - i recently bought 2 black reach boxes because of the value. If you were going for a supremely amazing loking army then buy the regular boxes, but if you want to get alot more value for your money, and still have the right figures then buy the box. You can still convert them, although its harder for the tactical marines and i wouldn't suggest it. I gave a termie an assault cannon built from a tau burst cannon - looks good. There are NO aditional components, everything on the sprue is used.

·
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

1 HQ,

1 troops

2 elites

Yeah I agree, that's why I was thinking another AOBR approach. 10 termies would be interesting, but just looking for opinions.

For the record the AOBR kit also has 585 points of marines and like 450 of orks. So it's imbalanced from the start anyway...but that's why the mission in the box is unique. However a tac squad is only required to have 5 guys (but to use the missile launcher included you would need a squad of 10...so it's still off kilter a little).

Luckily that's not why I bought it, getting the bang for my buck. Tempted to get another tac squad from ebay for like $10 and then a heavy weapons squad to integrate in the tac squads.

Thanks for all the inputs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.