Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much says it all, but I am looking to see what type of experiences you folks out there have had with Chaos lists in using the Cities of Death codex and what type of stratagems were taken? Most obvious would be a Lash list of some sort but spam Oblits over Vindicators.

I will split the difference and say that most people probably play using Gamma level and on a four by four foot board it can get crowded fast, leaving me to think that spaming rhinos would really do very little as the will be hard pressed to find a place to park as it were.

With all of the cover I guess that 1ksons are right out and on the inverse, Noise Marines would do well with the doom siren and their high shot output. Any advice at all will do me and with any luck other, a great service.

Cheers,
ZMB

·
609 Posts
SIX LAND RAIDERS. NO ONE CAN DEAL WITH IT.

I really don't know the rules of city's of death very well... my guess would be that zerkers and noise marines would fair well. Because with all that cover, rate of fire an denial of cover saves become important. A little 5 man squad with 2 flamers would most likely do well, and a 3 man squad of termies with JUST a H-flamer and two combie flamers/plasmas/meltas(105 pts) depending on what you plan to face.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
Plague Marines with dual flamers.
T5, 3+ save and a lot of cover, and FnP on top of that. That plus the fact that any size squad can take two special weapons make them extremely good. Too bad they're so slow.
Multiple termicide units (3 termies with a heavy flamer and 2 combiflamers), maybe with some chainfists to take down doors or destroy buildings and tanks. Icons for precision deepstriking.
Remember that many cityfghting tables have real roads, and that makes vehicles that much faster. Many 40K-players aren't used to roads.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Serbi, in Cities of Death, six Land Raiders is fairly easy to shut down. A few rhinos and all those buildings pretty much means they won't be going anywhere via rhino block.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
@Rabbit:
I think he was ironic, as he later admited he didnt know the rules very well. That and the fact that many beginners think that raider spam is godlike makes it a pretty funny exclamation

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember that many cityfghting tables have real roads, and that makes vehicles that much faster. Many 40K-players aren't used to roads.
People who play at my house know what it's like to use roads...If you ever take a gander at my new board you would see why.

I hear a lot about Zerkers but I just don't know. I would think that you would want to have maximum fire power over assault as much of the time you will be assault either into cover or while in cover. I see a lot of use of flamers but two things that stand out to me are Doom Siren and Wind of Chaos...both will kill things dead.

On a 4x4 board there really is very little space for even rhinos I have discovered and things are so close it is not too hard to walk there.

What Stratagems do you folks use?

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, would you have ever guessed it? Chaos for the win in in City fight. I came up with a fun little 1500 pt dual lash list but I put the emphasis on Template weapons over blast weapons. Not just any template weapons though. I brought Noise marines with a Doom siren and a small squad of 1ksons with Wind of chaos. A small unit of termies with a heavy flamer and three Oblits that had the use of three Icons for deep striking purposes. All I can say is that my opponent will not forget the fact that Oblits have the use of twin-linked flamers. By the end of turn four it was something like 5-0 but it would have been table time in a turn or two anyway.

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
I agree with Plague marines and lots of flamers. I don't know the rules of cities of death, but it seems cover is vital there, so flamers, flamers flamers, even combi-flamers seem viable as those cover saves will be the bane of us.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, flamer, flamers and flamers all all good and all as redundancy seems to be the way of the future, but there is something to be said about the ability to take on all threats all of the time. I would argue that meltas are just as important ans flamers even in cities of death. Take for example the game I played in today. We held a gamma level game being four by four feet. The codex dictates that wee should use 4 to six ruins. I believe we ended up using eight. There were tons of cover to be had and flamer played their part to be sure. There still vehicles a-plenty to blow up and not everything is in cover all of the time...(lash can help with that, eh?)

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
Well you can use a variation of the Karmoon special, take combi meltas on terminators instead of combi plasmas. drop in as close as possible without DT tests or Mishap (though in that enviroment you can expect but so much, and unleash meltas. If you are lucky you will cook whatever tank is the closest.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well you can use a variation of the Karmoon special, take combi meltas on terminators instead of combi plasmas. drop in as close as possible without DT tests or Mishap (though in that enviroment you can expect but so much, and unleash meltas. If you are lucky you will cook whatever tank is the closest.
It is funny that you mention that as that is exactly what I took and did...sort of. I was playing vs Eldar and there was a Farseer on a bike with like six Warlocks on bikes. I tried to light them up but I really did not all that much. Oblits really did rock hardcore in that game and I see them as the better heavy choice the more I use them.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
I would personally never use Lash of Submission in Cities of Death. The Lash is awesome in normal games. However, in CoD it is absolutely brutal with the amount of template weapons being used and the amount of terrain available. It's not an "I Win"-button, but it is very close.
It's just no fun to play against.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would personally never use Lash of Submission in Cities of Death. The Lash is awesome in normal games. However, in CoD it is absolutely brutal with the amount of template weapons being used and the amount of terrain available. It's not an "I Win"-button, but it is very close.
It's just no fun to play against.
I could very well see that and I must say that I strived to do just that. All I can say is that runes of warding shut me down every single time. I did not get a single psycher ability off the entire game. I did still win due to army composition I believe and were it not for Runes it would have been sickening as to what I could have done but at the end of the day, Lash did not win me the game.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of fun CoD list would you bring? Lash is good and all, but even I as a player have to cry cheese, now and again.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
I would run an Imperial Guard list full of Veterans. But if I have to chose CSM I would just run a lot of Plague Marines with flamers and Vindicators. Champs with combiflamers. I've misplaced my codex so I cant put together a full list atm.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I realy like the Idea of taking Noise Marines. Doom Siren is a nice scary template weapon. When used with fuel depot it is then S6 AP3. You could also use medicae facility to give them FnP...and one cannot forget the fact that they are I5. Sonic blasters are also something to contend with. I mean flamers are great, but after a couple of games people learn to spread their troops out a bit to minimize the damage from templates. There is also multi-story ruins, and if troops are spread out among the different levels, chances are you will only be hitting three or four at a time. Sonic blasters are ready to go right out of a rhino and maybe even a charge. Turn up the heat if you did not move and you get a lot of shots. Both Noise Marines and Plague Marines are good and there are surely many combos for both when worked with stratagems.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
I dislike mixing cult troops into one army. I can stretch to using different Icons, but not cults. It just seems so... wrong. It's like having a berzerker army with a Tzeentch sorcerer leader. It's just so impure.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, but that is just they way the new codex is. I personally dislike the mixing of cults as well but you are almost forced to now. Look at dual lash. You have two Slaaneshie Princes leading units of Plague Marines around. I for one think that Chaos Space Marines should get the daemons back as now they are just edgy Space Marines.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
In what way are you forced to do anyhing? Everything you do is your own choice. Do not justify your choice to make the cheesiest army ever by claiming that you are somewhat forced.
We have got daemons. Not the daemons from the daemon codex, but darn good daemons nonetheless.

They are not edgy space marnes. Space marines doesnt have ubergrit, they cant have icons, we cant have drop pods etc, our dreads are mental etc...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.