Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
i think for space wolves, both undercoats would work just fine. white undercoats works awsome for eldar and tau. i like using white but its a lot harder painting your models because if you leave any parts unpainted, they stand out and look unprofessinoal. black is much more forgiving.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It depends on what colour your planning to paint over it.
Mostly I use black undercoat on say wooden parts and on most chaos space marines.
Then again I usually use white undercoat on brown colours on say WHFB beastmen.
You have to choose the the undercoat in companion with the finishing colour.
But you can use both, although the black undercoat will tend to give a darker finish to the other colours.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I use black, just because if you need something painted black you can just leave it primed.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Tha same thing goes for white too, prime white and leave it as is. But you could use a gray wash on the white to spice it up a bit.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I use gray spray undercoat on da Boyz then I paint em black for a darker, greener, an meaner look. I use gray so it is easier to see if I miss any spots with my coat of black paint. Sometimes I use black [ When I run out of gray ] then use a wash of black over top to get full coverage. But white or black work out just as well.
Lighter undercoats give a lighter colored model. But any undercoat will do.

WAAAGH!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I use white primer, but that in combination with a rather unusual technique:
After priming i create the base color by applying several coats of thinned ink. This is already shaded and usually results in a nice, "even" color.

I used this for that mini (sorry, i don't have a better pic right now):

That's white primer, then some thinned green ink with chestnut ink, and then again some brown ink. After this, i just did some highlights with rotting flesh and silver.
It's not 'eavy metal standart, but done in a few hours - efficient.

jwu

·
Registered
317 Posts
In general black is better for new people to the game, and for making the colors appear darker (obviously).

White is great for making you a better painter. Base your models white, and your painting skills will get a lot better. Also, it's great for bright colors (reds especially), although it's terrible for painting metal on.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Nice paint job brother, keep up the good work.
WAAAGH!

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are some tricks to painting a large number of models with primer color. With certain armies using a black undercoat, you can simply highlight area by drybrushing or leave the 'joints' of areas unpainted to add detail. This can allow you to quickly crank out a lot of minis.

However, I think it comes down to what colors you are painting on your model, black works best with neutral or dark colors. For brighter color schemes, white is a better undercoat. Some light colors, like orange, look muted over a black undercoat. While over a white undercoat, the same colors appear brighter and more vibrant. So I use the color of my base coat to decide what type of primer (black or white) to use.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i think it depends on the colour basically, as colours have different amounts of layers to cover different undercoats, like white on black. This is probably just me coz im lazy and couldnt be bothered doin multiple coats...

Then again for my tau, i have only used white undercoat and then blue ink with a tiny tiny bit of green to make aqua, and it works a charm...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try getting a black wash and undercoating a figure.

Black wash is just 1 part water 1 part black paint stirred up, then ya slosh on the model, looks good and shows detail up real good.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree to, from what i can tell in the pic, typhus looks great! Even tho you are my arch enemy...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yeah, that Typhus is cool. I play GKs, and even though white primer would probably be better, seeing as GKs are all silver, I use black because the white is hard to tell from metal, so I end up not priming half of my model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.