Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
I'd try a test model and see which you prefer. Options would be Ogryn Flesh, Baal Red or (my preference) Leviathan Purple- followed by a blood red highlight.

Double Edit: 2500th post!

·
Registered
165 Posts
The flesh wash still exists (I think its called ogryn flesh) but I think that the baal red wash enhances shadows well. I think that purple also could work well.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
I use Devlan Mud. It all depends on what tonal qualities you want in the red. Devlan Mud makes for a dirty looking tone (which I like), the Baal Red adds depth to the red, Thrakka Green (don't laugh) can look good if used right....and so on. As has been said, do some tests and see whats what.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It all really depends on what effect you are trying to get..

I have used Clotted Red (Reaper line) watered down for my wash, and have sen some nice results... I have also used a black wash to nice effect.

So as said before, get a test model, (or 4 or 5) and give each of the recommended washes a try. See which produces the desired results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ogryn Flesh comes out really nice looking... I think the ogryn flesh doesn't give *as* dirty of a finish that Devlan Mud would (depending on the amount, I'm sure)... but also adds more depth than un-tampered Baal Red.
As others have said... try a couple tests and figure out which ending hue you're looking for.

I've used a very liberal black wash over red with great results also... and The Paint Monkey is recommending purple... so, really, there are a good variety of nice looking effects to try out.

·
Returning Lawman!
1,712 Posts
For my reds, I tend to use two washes. I do a BAAL red wash over all the red, and then do Devlan mud in the deepest crevices. I find this gives depth to the model, with minimal highlighting. :)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I swear by Baal Red. I first tried it when I was painting pink horrors, which I primed black, based mechrite, highlighted tentacle pink, and then washed baal red. They turned out AMAZING because of it. Now I use it for my sisters of battle, which have red robes. Prime black, base it mechrite, wash it with baal and then highlight with blood red. It provides a very rich red, which I think looks great.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Painting a Saim-Hann Eldar force (primary color is red).. I have used a mix of different washes and techniques to get the desired effect.

So far... on my grav tanks, I've used Badab Black... heavily.. then gone back and painted over the "sloppy" areas to make the paint job look more crisp.
On my troops (jetbike riders, fire dragons, etc) I used 2 different methods:

Method 1: Privateer Press 'Red Ink' watered down 2:1 (it's kinda thick) over a white primer, then highlighted with Privateer Press 'Skorn Red' then highlighted with GW Blood Red.

Method 2: Grey primer, heavy drybrush of Skorn red (P3 paints) Devlan Mud wash, then Blood red highlights.

(For the fire dragons, i kept highlighting with various oranges/reds/yellows until I got a different effect.. but.. yeah, you get the idea)

I go for tabletop quality, not showcase quality.. so I don't know if this is going to tickle your fancy. However, I do get compliments on how my minis look when they're on the table. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used to use chestnut ink- it worked beautifully, but GW doesn't make it anymore. I'm wondering how I can get the same effect when I expand my force in April.:nailbiting:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts