Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm currently building my 1500 point ork list and was about to add in tankbustas as my anti-tank until I realized they would have to footslog unless i shell out for a battlewagon.
Unless transport rules are changing in 5th so I can get them a trukk, i need some advice on if I should still add tankbustas and pray they don't get mowed down before hitting tanks. Or if I should look elsewhere for Anti-tank?

I tend to play with a pretty good amount of terrain since we like to use Cities of Death layouts cause its funner than open field with a couple bushes and area terrain.

(I already got 10 lootas though, so no worries about light armor)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi

I don't collect orks, but do have the codex and looking through it the normal kannon looks really cheap, effective and versitile which to me looks like the best point for point AT option in the orks list, 9 for only 180 would hit 3 times, which would probably stop a tank at the least, and it can put a dent in hoardes, as I said I don't play orks so have no practiacal experinace at all so feel free to ignore,

Gilli

·
Registered
148 Posts
Without question, my most consistant anti-tank weapon has been the PK. Especially when you have it on a bikerboss. The PK has taken down LRC's, Vindis, rhinos with ease. Now, I have not faced a Tau as yet. Our local Tau player has shelved his army since the Ork codex was released. He has been playing SWs in an attempt to match the orks in hth. HAHAHAHA.

Now I understand that a bikerboss will probably not be too good in city fight. However, the same basic principle still applies. With city fight, the tanks are closer and you get a cover save. What a great combination! Go with a PK and you can't go wrong.

Just my thoughts...

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Achillies' Heel

With the 5th edition rules coming out, armor is going to be a real problem for orks, and it isn't exactly easy for them to deal with it now.

The most viable gun orks have against armor are rokkits. Rokkits are relatively cheap, can be used in most units, and with most vehicles, but they have trouble with AR 14 (they can only glance), and with the 5th edition rules, glancing hits won't destroy the vehicle unless you get either a weapon destroyed or immobilized result, when there's nothing left the the vehicle to lose. Still, rokkits on a maneuverable unit, like warbuggies, deffkoptas or kommandos, can help sneak you around to get side or back armor.

Tankbustas are nice, as they all have rokkits, and tankbusta bombs for tougher armor, but as you guessed, they really need a transport in order to be effective, and I don't think 5th edition is going to allow them trukks. The best transport is definitely a battlewagon, but a looted wagon can do as long as the unit is expendable, or has a nob with a powerklaw (to keep them from being pinned if the vehicle explodes). If you can't give them a transport, then I wouldn't use them. The same goes for burnas (but that's another issue). Not only does the transport protect them, and get them within range, but it helps counteract their glory hogs rule (otherwise, they might wind up being forced to shoot at vehicles that are way out of range).

The shokk attack gun and boomgun aren't great against heavier armor, although they both work against infantry. The weird boyz zzzap power is powerful, but odds are, you won't get it when you really need it. Big guns with zzzap guns can work, but they're a fire magnet, and won't last long against shooting.

What's this leave? The best option the orks have against armor, and one already mentioned by 25below: powerklaws.

Powerklaws, used in assault, are the best way to destroy vehicles. Of course, to get the unit close enough to use them, they either need to be in vehicles, or on warbikes. Anything else is too slow. A kommando unit led by Snikkrot may be able to pull it off, since he's strength 6 on the charge, but only in some cases, and only against back armor.

As far as I can see, orks only have three viable options against heavier armor:

1. A TON of rokkits, used by many different units simultaneously.

2. Tankbustas in a wagon (perhaps with a nob w/powerklaw, bosspole)

3. Powerklaws (either in a vehicle, or on bikes)

Good luck!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies. I was tempted to still use tankbustas until grax pointed out that they have to target the closest vehicle "even if out of range" (wouldn't mind so much if the vehicle was in range)

the powerclaws on bike are covered. I'm priming for two groups of 6. with a warboss on bike for some extra oomph on the charge.

Looks like with the points opened up with the lack of tankbustas, I'll either get some more boys with nob&PW in a trukk and a rocket to boot or convert some warbuggies with rockets cause I loved them in DOW......need to convert to match the new trukks.:?

I'll run the points in my head again for converting a Battlewagon before i decide. Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: I just heard from a Warseer thread that at the Forgeworld Open 08, they mentioned a plastic Battlewagon was coming before the end of 2008. Might have to sit and wait cause tankbustas in a battlewagon I can work with.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Finally

thanks for the replies. I was tempted to still use tankbustas until grax pointed out that they have to target the closest vehicle "even if out of range" (wouldn't mind so much if the vehicle was in range)

the powerclaws on bike are covered. I'm priming for two groups of 6. with a warboss on bike for some extra oomph on the charge.

Looks like with the points opened up with the lack of tankbustas, I'll either get some more boys with nob&PW in a trukk and a rocket to boot or convert some warbuggies with rockets cause I loved them in DOW......need to convert to match the new trukks.:?

I'll run the points in my head again for converting a Battlewagon before i decide. Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: I just heard from a Warseer thread that at the Forgeworld Open 08, they mentioned a plastic Battlewagon was coming before the end of 2008. Might have to sit and wait cause tankbustas in a battlewagon I can work with.
It's good to hear they're finally making a plastic battlewagon (besides land raiders).

I just wanted to mention that tankbustas don't have to target the nearest vehicle to them. In fact, the rule doesn't refer to distance at all. It's a confusing rule, but to put it simply:

If the tankbustas can see a vehicle (any unit with an armor value), then they must target a vehicle, even if it's out of range. They can't choose to shoot a non-vehicle if a vehicle is within sight. If more than one vehicle is in sight, the tankbustas can choose which one they want to shoot.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Plastic battlewagon sounds great, but I ain't waiting till the end of 2008 for it! I'll have to make do with land raiders and chimaeras I think!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I haven't been playing since the new ork codex came out, Can orks not use looted vehicles anymore? Cause my personal favorite anti tank option was a simple looted basilisk. Strength 9 ap 3 ordinance takes out anything with ease. Plus you’re only going to spend 100 points on it.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I was always wondering why ork players moaned about if tanks were out of range for the tankbustas they still have to shoot? but what difference does it make if they are assault?

I thought they had a longer range, so excuse me for that part but if they are assault shooters what harm can it do besides not letting them shoot another squad? It doesn't sound like such a bad thing.

and no gathrog they can't use looted vehicles anymore but they have a looted wagon, only costing about 100 points all up for st8 ap3 ord I believe. so its not that much of a loss.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wait.. is there a specific reason tankbustas can't just start in a trukk? I don't use tankbustas, but I start my burnas in a trukk all the time. Am I misunderstanding the rules?

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
A biker with a PK is the best option, hands down. 4+ cover save keeps you unit safe from tank fire, 18" charge range means they are going to have a hard time running from you, CC attack automatically hit rear armor. If they keep moving their tank to get away from you or to give you only 6s to hit in combat they can't fire, so it is win/win.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wait.. is there a specific reason tankbustas can't just start in a trukk? I don't use tankbustas, but I start my burnas in a trukk all the time. Am I misunderstanding the rules?
yep you are. Tankbustas and burnas don't have a transport option in their points section. See nobs/meganobs/boys sections, it says "can be mounted in a trukk" (or battlewagon for [mega]nobs)

I have taken 10 tankbustas in about 10 games. They have almost never earned their points. Most rokkits will miss the rest have a hard time causing a glance against armour 12+. I mount them in a looted wagon. I have had far better luck with rokkit buggies. More often than not the twin linking gets me 2 hits, which is more than I usually get from 10 tankbustas. They are also much faster.

This is a regular question orks are faced with. Powerklaws are the way to go, the next question is, which flavour? Meganobs, dreads, kans, biker nobs or boys squad leaders?

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
a small squad of mega nobs, with the default powerklaw, isn't that scary? I'd be terrified to see that roll up to my front lines, in fact I pour every bullet into them when they come near, just to make sure they are dead. and with a small squad of 3... thats what? 9 hits against a tank? the chance of penetrating that tank is 99.9% (not statistically correct).

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Because

I was always wondering why ork players moaned about if tanks were out of range for the tankbustas they still have to shoot? but what difference does it make if they are assault?

I thought they had a longer range, so excuse me for that part but if they are assault shooters what harm can it do besides not letting them shoot another squad? It doesn't sound like such a bad thing.

and no gathrog they can't use looted vehicles anymore but they have a looted wagon, only costing about 100 points all up for st8 ap3 ord I believe. so its not that much of a loss.
Ork players moan about the short range of rokkits simply because we feel slightly gypped.

The rokkit is basically a missle, and it costs the same as the equivalent missles in other armies (usually), but the range of the ork missle is half the range of the missles/rokkits of other armies.

Yes, the ork rokkit is assault, which is very nice, but the orks lack powerful long range anti-armor weapons, and the change to 5th edition only makes it worse, since glancing hits no longer destroy. I still like ork tankbustas, but they need a transport, or else they'll be shot to pieces long before they're in range.

With 5th edition, the best ork anti-armor weapon is the loota deffgun. Yes, it can't hurt armor 14, but you know what? No gun in the ork army can reliably deal with armor 14 anymore. For them, you need either tankbusta bombs, tankhammers or powerklaws. I'd just use lootas against light armor, and run powerklaws up towards the larger tanks as quickly as possible. If that isn't possible, I'd just ignore the armor 14 vehicles and focus on killing everything else.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Aren't they changing Dedicated transports somehow in 5th? i thought you could take trukks for a slugga squad but then use it for anyone(or somefink lik dat lot)

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Sorta

Aren't they changing Dedicated transports somehow in 5th? i thought you could take trukks for a slugga squad but then use it for anyone(or somefink lik dat lot)
Yes, but that's 100-150 points spent just to give a single unit of tankbustas or burnas a trukk. 10-12 boyz on foot, even with a nob w/powerklaw and bosspole, isn't that useful, and you just kicked them out of their transport. They need to be in groups of at least 20 in order to survive on foot.

So yes, if I'm understanding the new 5th edition rules correctly, you could start the slugga/shoota boyz outside the trukk, and then load in the tankbustas first turn, but I can't see it being worth it.

Although it might be worth it if you wanted to give a big mek w/SAG or KFF a retinue. You drop off the boyz, attach them to the big mek, and load in the tankbustas or burnas. That would be worth it, but only if you needed a small retinue anyway.

·
Registered
515 Posts
just give them shootas and hide behind cover for objective/table corner holding. i play with 2 20 shoot boyz squads (decked out though) to take/hold corners/buildings/objectves, another 10 or so to back them up sounds "acceptable" to me if it means getting the glory hogs to glory instead of a hole in the ground.

Just my 2 cents, i'm gonna try it.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Interesting

just give them shootas and hide behind cover for objective/table corner holding. i play with 2 20 shoot boyz squads (decked out though) to take/hold corners/buildings/objectves, another 10 or so to back them up sounds "acceptable" to me if it means getting the glory hogs to glory instead of a hole in the ground.

Just my 2 cents, i'm gonna try it.
Hmm...that could work. It's still at least 60 points sunk on a very small group of boyz, but if you have a use for such a unit, then it might work out. Objective grabbing is actually going to change quite a bit, now that troops are the only units that can grab them (although anything can contest them), and having an extra small group of boyz to help grab or at least contest those objectives might be useful, especially since they can run all the way there. I'd probably run 12 shoota boyz that way, no other upgrades, and hand off the trukk to either a unit of tankbustas or burnas.

Yeah, that could definitely work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.