Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If your local GW or local hobby store charged you for a one on one session on modeling/painting your models how much would you be willing to pay for said hour session?

If all you had to bring was your models and the rest was supplied.

·
is a hardcore rebel
793 Posts
My local store gives painting and modelling classes during school holidays for the kids, they aren't one-on-one sessions, they ussually have3-5 peapole in each.

its $15 for 2 hours, which i think is fair.

But if you talking one-on-one with a pro. speaking from a teenager's perspective id say about $30 would be around about it. if you go onto $40-$50 people might be in a little bit of a toss up on actually taking the lesson or buying a box set :soldier:

EDIT: sorry, im in Australia, so...if your in the US just like....Minus 15% off what i said :)

-DTG

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
I wouldn't pay. There are more than enough tutorials, guides and examples on the internet or in magazines that I think that it's a silly idea to have to pay someone to show. I think it'd do wonders for a shop if they held FREE, weekly sessions for people to just show up and help out or be helped.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Paintwater cup != tea mug
620 Posts
At the same time, Lost Nemesis, an actual person face-to-face can answer questions, show you exactly how to do the technique rather than just words and a finished product, and there's no dealing with color-altering photography or poor video quality. Personally, I don't think I'd be willing to subscribe to such a session, but for a beginning painter I can understand the reasoning.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
At the same time, Lost Nemesis, an actual person face-to-face can answer questions, show you exactly how to do the technique without just words and a finished product, and there's no dealing with color-altering photography or poor video quality. Personally, I don't think I'd be willing to subscribe to such a session, but for a beginning painter I can understand the reasoning.
But for a shop... there is such a stronger case for offering those sessions free of charge. Not only does it help get people more interested into the game, it also makes them respect and value your shop more, which brings them back. If I was getting charged for such advice, I probably wouldn't go to it, or respect the shop as much as if it were a free service.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
2,244 Posts
I would definitely pay for lessons, provided they were from a very good painter. This is because I am a little bit more isolated from the hobby. It is great to talk about your work with other people and often people have really great advice on techniques taht you don't even know you don't know.

It may not be good value for money if you get a bad teacher or someone who doesn't know much.

Lost Nemisis has a good point about information on the internet but that is often difficult to put into practice correctly, they gloss over something crucial or I misunderstand. A person can get those key points across.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would probably pay for a painting lesson. I think the guides and tutorials are enough for me.

My local GW had free lessons before. They had lessons for beginners (that don't know what drybrushing is). A group for people who know what highlighting and drybrushing is but they don't know where to go next. And an "expert" group where I was placed where they tried to teach us to do NMM, source lighting and stuff.

I wanted them to teach me how to do NMM first. They said what basecoat I should start with and how I should apply the colors on the model etc. When I was done they told me it's perfect but I said I didn't think it looked like metal. They were like.. ehm.. but that's it! Then I left the store! Yay!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I would probably pay for a painting lesson. I think the guides and tutorials are enough for me.

My local GW had free lessons before. They had lessons for beginners (that don't know what drybrushing is). A group for people who know what highlighting and drybrushing is but they don't know where to go next. And an "expert" group where I was placed where they tried to teach us to do NMM, source lighting and stuff.

I wanted them to teach me how to do NMM first. They said what basecoat I should start with and how I should apply the colors on the model etc. When I was done they told me it's perfect but I said I didn't think it looked like metal. They were like.. ehm.. but that's it! Then I left the store! Yay!
To be honest, mosty of the time with the free ones you get what you pay for once you get past a certain level. I first tried with NMM a while back, 5 years ago probably. I didn't like it then, I still don't now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.