Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bone giant debate on of the threads has got me to thinking. What would I rather have in my army?

Below are 6 choices.

1. A bone giant
2. 2 tomb scorpions
3. 2 SSC's with upgrade
4. A unit of 5 chariots
5. A unit of 3 ushabti
6. A unit of 18 Tomb Guard.

I would go for the Tomb Guard myself!

What about you guys?

Lanny May

·
King of Curiosity
283 Posts
Wait a minute, I posted a thread on whether or not I wanted to include a bone giant and tomb guard, and all of the sudden people start posting large amounts of bone giant related threads. Is it that big of a topic of whether or not to have a bone giant? First I see somebody ask about the worth of the bone giant and then I see this! Ah well, but i would go with the catapults, those mixed with some bowmen and liche priests, possibly a Casket can make a deadly combination. Bone Giant just needs a higher weapon skill 3 doesn't cut it for XXX points. other than that the bone giant is awesome though. Scorpions, are a great choice they are great units and I would definitely recommend them. As far as Ushabti go Just try to get the units up to 4 because then they can make a great killing unit. If you added an extra 2 Tomb guard that would be good (always need to outnumber with undead to get the full advantage of fear). The 5 chariots is another good unit (come on, having chariots as core, tell me that is not awesome) but with tomb guard and Chariots try to get a prince or king in those units to use them to their full potential. But if the bone giant had a higher weapon skill then it would be awesome.

EDIT: Lets try to refrain from posting the points for individual models. -Spector

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I think it entirely depends on what the rest of your army looks like. The majority of those choices do have their uses, and can perform very good roles in battle, but only if they can work well with the rest of your army. Not much point taking TG if the rest of your army is shooty for example, or taking the SSC's if you have a very fast combat army.

I would say that option 5 should probably be bumped up to 4 Ushabti to make the unit much more worth it. And TG are probably not that great with just 18 men, they need to use numbers and fear to work well, so minimum 20 for them.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Lets have a look:

1. As it stands now, not worth the points. Too expensive combined with easily dispatched. Not a good combination.

2. Excellent thing to have, possibly the best option listed, and also the cheapest as well.

3. Also excellent, but I personally prefer the SSC/Casket combo more.

4. Too big. 5 can be hard to maneuver depending on how terrain is set up, and you'll rarely if ever get all 5 into combat. Dish out the points for one more and take 2 units of 3.

5. Another good choice. 3 Ushabti work great as flankers, while 4 can take units head on.

6. The only unit that we can take 6 wide and hope to get some kills with. 17 Tomb Guard with a character in my opinion is an acceptable way to run the unit. I wouldn't take them like this however if I wasn't adding a TK or TP.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
From that list specifically id have to go with the 2 Scorps. Id say the Dual SSCs but im with Spector here, prefer the Casket/SSC combo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
personaly id take ushabti but my army is roughly based around 3+ of these models being in the main force of my army suported by units of 20+ skele warriors

what ever fits within your army should be what you take as each has their own advantage but each has its own downfall

id go into detail about them but i haven't looked through my army book lately and i can't remember them in enough detail to relate them

good luck with which ever you choose

cadia

·
Registered
30 Posts
2 SCC's

Tomb scorpions are very good - but barring the steam tank, screaming skull catapults are the best war machines in the game (steam tank's more like a very powerful, unbreakable monster anyways) . It depends on your list to an extent - if you're going for a heavy chariot/aggressive TK list... SSCs are still very good, but may be best left at home.

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
screaming skull catapults are the best war machines
bah! the best warmachine is by far the dwarven grudge thrower ;) re-rolls on both the scatter and artillery dice anyone? S5 template? fire damage too? dear dear :D

out of the choices above... i think it depends on the style of the army. if your defensive the SSC's are the way to go. with a more agressive force however i'd say ushabti.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Except the reroll on Artillery is only if you Misfire. +1 to strength is nice though.

The SSC is already flaming as well. So no points to the grudge thrower for that. We can cause a panic check with only one casualty, potentially fire twice a turn and bring fallen crew back from the dead for XX points cheaper.

I still defend it as being better then the grudge thrower.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You will ask the hard questions won't you!?!?

It's like asking me whether i'd like to lose an arm or a leg!!!

I love the ushabti, but the ssc's are badass!!
It's too hard!!
Someone else decide for me!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
i would never take a Bone Giant because it makes a couple of turns as a pincusion or be slammed with a cannon or spell first turn kill. it is too big a target as is a normal giant. Ushabti slightly better but still pincusions. TG, good if they are 20 but otherwise aren't gonna outnumber. Tomb Scorpions, amazing if you are fighting an army that shoots, but useless against fast moving armies. use against dwarves and empire. 2 SSC's are good although i would prefer the SSC/CoS combo. i gotta get a SSC.

personaly...Ushabti

tactically...scorpions because they are versatile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts