Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm considering starting my own tabletop newsletter for those local tabletop (possibly Video game as well) players here where i live. I was going to find out what you guys as players would want to read about regarding the game you enjoy playing. I'm not too sure yet what tabletop games I'm going to cover just yet in the newsletter, but so far its Warhammer 40k and fantasy since that's what most of the people here play. I was going to include tournament/league information, hobby tips, some tactica, a off-topic article or two. Just wondering what else you as a player/painter/moder for tabletop games would want to see that would make you want to pick it up and open up and read. I may arrange it to where i wont charge anything depending if i could somehow get some advertising on it to cover costs for printing. Let me know your opinions, and comments I'd really appreciate it.

thanks again!

·
Registered
301 Posts
WEll I say start of small and aim big - so cover the basics first -thats Warhammer and Warhammer 40K - branch out into other areas later ;) - once you have a fan base and assistance.
As for the idea I think there might be a newsletter for some sort being made by the site already - though I know nothing more about it I am afraid

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WEll I say start of small and aim big - so cover the basics first -thats Warhammer and Warhammer 40K - branch out into other areas later ;) - once you have a fan base and assistance.
As for the idea I think there might be a newsletter for some sort being made by the site already - though I know nothing more about it I am afraid

yep, but i my newsletter is mainly and just for the local hobbyshops around the area that promote events such as league play, casual play, etc. Its just a way to tie everything together and keep everyone up to date whats going on between shops and between the players.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That is a cool idea. The biggest advice I have would be to stick with it. If you get easily discouraged like I do I find that setting goals really helps. I would start off by planning on having it run for 6 months and then go from there. That way you have a measurable goal and something to work towards.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a cool idea. The biggest advice I have would be to stick with it. If you get easily discouraged like I do I find that setting goals really helps. I would start off by planning on having it run for 6 months and then go from there. That way you have a measurable goal and something to work towards.
appreciate it! i think so too :) But right now i'm just trying to get somewhat of a survey review on this to see what people want to read about and whatnot ya know? if anyone has any suggestions i'd be more than happy to hear it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
well first off do you have access to a decent camera?? either yours or a mates - pics make things better :)

As for content specific well as its for your local hobby groups wander round them and watch/take notes one a few matches between players. A battle report or two always goes down well - especially if you present it well. Use the map builder thingy attached to this site to make the reports look professional.
After battle reports you want a section detailing upcomming matches - as well as one detail upcomming events in the local area.
Then you could look to having an advertising section (free) where people can ask for specific bits or off up bits and armies and models for sale == if any are good enough and willing to they could even advertise for commissions on painting -- though make sure that you clearly state that your newsletter is not responcible for dealsing with other players -- if someone wants to trade with another and something goes wrong its their problem to deal with not the newletters (and thus yours)
These next few might take a few releases of your letter before people feel its worth thier time to write - but its alwasy good to ask early.

Guides - from modeling to painting to playing - terrain, putting together models (the more advanced stuff like mold lines) this could become a big part of the letter - but you would need not only people to write the articles but to also take decent step by step pictures as well. This will add some worth to the letter for not just begginners but also more advanced players as well

Tacticle guides and tips for playing armies: could could make these little boxed things that appear round the letter - just little hints and advice from players

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well first off do you have access to a decent camera?? either yours or a mates - pics make things better :)

As for content specific well as its for your local hobby groups wander round them and watch/take notes one a few matches between players. A battle report or two always goes down well - especially if you present it well. Use the map builder thingy attached to this site to make the reports look professional.
After battle reports you want a section detailing upcomming matches - as well as one detail upcomming events in the local area.
Then you could look to having an advertising section (free) where people can ask for specific bits or off up bits and armies and models for sale == if any are good enough and willing to they could even advertise for commissions on painting -- though make sure that you clearly state that your newsletter is not responcible for dealsing with other players -- if someone wants to trade with another and something goes wrong its their problem to deal with not the newletters (and thus yours)
These next few might take a few releases of your letter before people feel its worth thier time to write - but its alwasy good to ask early.

Guides - from modeling to painting to playing - terrain, putting together models (the more advanced stuff like mold lines) this could become a big part of the letter - but you would need not only people to write the articles but to also take decent step by step pictures as well. This will add some worth to the letter for not just begginners but also more advanced players as well

Tacticle guides and tips for playing armies: could could make these little boxed things that appear round the letter - just little hints and advice from players
sounds pretty solid, the pictures and whatnot aren't gonna be a problem neither would a guide for painting/playing/building, woot for adobe suite skills and being a graphic design student. Great idea for making a section for bit and model hunters, as well as painters for ads. as well as making sure we aren't tied into them. thanks !

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Dude, how would you feel about joining the LO magasine project and writing for us? Its still coming along, just pretty slowly. We just need articles in really.. anyway, go to User CP, Group Memberships, and request to join the Magasine group if youre interested.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude, how would you feel about joining the LO magasine project and writing for us? Its still coming along, just pretty slowly. We just need articles in really.. anyway, go to User CP, Group Memberships, and request to join the Magasine group if youre interested.

info regarding it? like how you intended on working it out? I'd be willing to help out and whatnot, just need some more info :p

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Well, basically people send in articles and stuff they want in an online magasine, then i put it all togther in a pdf, and we make it downloadable. Anything you want can be included really, within sensible limits obviously.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
What about a serial? Basically, one chapter of a fan fiction novel per newsletter.

If it's really well written and interesting, people will look forward to the next issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts