Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i played against a old friend of mine and seems to never use Peasents not even the bowmen, whats wrong with peasents? in my views i think there alright you just have to use them right for example setting up charge's for your knight and flee.

i would like to hear your views on the Question

Little Dave

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hello Little-Dave,
I can't speak for your friend, with peasants perhaps it's a matter of taste? I have two space marine 40K friends, and their armies are as different as can be, one being scouts and bikes, and the other being mechanized and assault. Perhaps all knights is just your friend's play style and not a comment on the value of peasants in general? Peasants are certainly usable, but it can be a little frustrating watching them get chewed up in melee, no? Still, I always took skirmishing archers, once you fight a bunch of skaven gutter runners with shurikens, you're never quite the same, ha ha!

I wish you well, may the Lady bless your Lords and lands!
---Frankie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i guess so, as it comes down to taste's. Just wants me to make a bret army now with afew more peasants that others use.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
i also think it comes down to taste. One important downsides to peasants i think is the movement speed.

The main tactics for this army are getting lanceformations in combat fast. The cavalry are without a doubt the strongest brets have to offer and the main strength (lanceform with free champions)do not apply to peasants.
peasants are more or less a bit a 'defensive' force for your army.
Even though most players can find good use for peasants, its sometimes easier to just spend those same points on more knights.

·
Registered
69 Posts
"No" to taste. Peasants are an invaluable part of any Breton force, each in their own right.

Large block units of Men-at-arms are an excellent way of protecting your knights flanks, being able to counter charge and offering a much-needed static combat resolution to any fight they are part of. Yes, they're feeble, but given the Peasant duty, they will average a Leadership of 8 minimum (Note that they should NEVER operate alone, especially under their own leadership!), multiple rank bonus's, the ability to equip spears at no extra points (A must IMO), and their own command group, they size up to be a very valuable foot unit.

Furthermore, another spice of Bretonnia are it's bowmen. Very cheap, readily equipped with defensive stakes and longbows, they pose quite a threat themselves. They may not win games for you, but they will certainly aid you in your fight! I can't stress enough that at such a cheap cost it really is worth taking a unit or three to pepper lightly armoured foes or even more dangerous targets. They also offer an excellent distraction (No army will appreciate longbows, and will do their best to eliminate them as early as possible), and excel at building your own "fortress" inside your deployment zone.

Mounted Yeoman are fast cavalry, making them excellent at "pulling" opponents. Sally them forth, use them as bait, and then in true peasant style, flee! There's hardly a better way to set up charges for your hard-hitting knights.

Finally, the beautiful Trebuchet. Not much needs to be said here. Don't leave home without one!

In conclusion, Peasants really are undervalued by most. Elitists may opt for armies composed entirely of Knights, but where's the flexibility in that? Peasants are fun, feeble at times, but definately a valuable asset to any Bretonnian army.

-SnotlingFondler ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what would u say is the right size for men at arms 20-25? and for the bowmen max 10?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always use peasents in my list. They're the reason I win half the time. I do agree, use them in large blocks. I field BP's ranging from 30-36 strong, [email protected]'s are 20-25, and Bowmen 15+. Lance formation at any size has such hugh flanks and if you don't break on the charge, you will most likely lose the next round because of a flank charge, if your opponent is smart. You will never give the MVP of the game to your peasants and why would you, they're peasants. But peasants can redirect attacks and wounds from your knights just like the Lords of Bretonnia expect their pasants to do. Thats why they call upon them. Meat shields!

FYI. Just played in a 3 rd tourny this weekend and there was another Bretonnian player their but he was ALL knights and I was 50/50 (units) and each time I looked over to see how he was doing he was trying not to get pushed off the table by OG's and OK. Armies peasant/knight list do well with.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
i like the bowmen skirmishers. I would suggest this unit to anyone playing brets :D. Very versatile, long range and can protect flanks/forests
10-15 with at least a musician

when it comes to [email protected] i would go for small unitsto protect my flank. A unit of 10 without command. its cheap and can really force your opponents to alter maneuvers in your flanks.

If you havent seen it yet, theres a cool Bretonnian tactica that has a section on infantry in the completed tactica Thread :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
I rarely ever use men at arms to be honest but in no way does this mean they are useless !

Their peasant's duty is ASTOUNDINGLY AWESOME. make a big unit of 20-30 and give them full command. let them get charged by low infantry and then flank charge the enemy with ur knights.

result ? you own.

nonetheless they are slow and i tend to like mobile and fast armies

·
Registered
254 Posts
Meh, the only peasents I use are bowmen and (more recently) the dead guy on a stick unit.

Large units of bowmen with flaming shots will come in handy if you come across, say, a hell pit abomination... Plus the're good at killing those annoying screening units your opponent puts out to block your knights' charges.

Dead guy on a stick makes a good anvil with stubborn, just try not to be outnumbered by fear.

I don't use Yeomen just because I don't want to buy them in blisters for $10 a pop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts