Librarium Online Forums banner

What is better: Sternguard of Vanguard?

• Shortrange fire-fight! Sternguard all the way!

Votes: 125 88.0%
  • Let's kick some butt! Vanguard to win!

Votes: 17 12.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder which one people like the most, because they are the same amount of points, but are used in different ways. Any thoughts, please help.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't play marines but I laugh at vanguard and throw them some banshees, but I take stern guard very seriously. Sternguard out of drop pods is one of the things that scares me the most in the space marine list. I can handle termies, tanks, scouts, ASM's because i can get a running start at em. But i do NOT have a good hard counter for the first round of uncontested shooting that a ten man sternguard can put out. The very existence of the sternguard has forced me to switch to an all reserves list simply because having the sternguard chew up two transports immediately is too expensive.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Both Veteran types have their pros and cons, which I'm sure you'll find many threads about here in LO. However, one thing you want to consider is the ease of using these units.

Sternguards are basically pumped up Tactical Marines, and you can even play them in a similar manner if you so wish. They have more attacks per model, better leadership and great flexibility from their special ammo system which is their core strength. You could build your entire list, and at the end buy a 5 man Sternguard squad with a Rhino and your playing style does not have to change much to accommodate them. Any list can benefit from a last-minute addition of a Sternguard squad due to their ease of use.

A Vanguard squad however, seems to me to be a unit that you build an army around, and not put in at the end of a near completed list. To properly utilize their strengths, most players pay for their jump packs, and also some additional power weapons for greater oomph. What this results in is an expensive squad that works great, but draws such a massive amount of attention from enemy firepower. If you wish to use their special rule, then even more equipment have to be purchased on various other squads. What's really sad is that against faster Initiative units they'll be slaughtered, and against weaker opponents they'll wipe everyone out and be exposed in the enemy's turn!

That's my view of how these two units compare, if you have cash to spare then by all means buy both units and enjoy. But if your budget is limited and you must have one of the two units, then I strongly recommend getting the Sternguard for their ease of use and great flexibility.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Against Eldar and other high I units, Sternguard. Against everything slower than a marine, Vanguard. I generally use Sternguard more, but I prefer the Vanguard - they just require larger armies to use effectively, and we tend to play smaller games so I don't get to field them as often as I'd like.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

LOL at the 2011 end date for this poll ;-)

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
I don't play marines but I laugh at vanguard and throw them some banshees, but I take stern guard very seriously. Sternguard out of drop pods is one of the things that scares me the most in the space marine list. I can handle termies, tanks, scouts, ASM's because i can get a running start at em. But i do NOT have a good hard counter for the first round of uncontested shooting that a ten man sternguard can put out. The very existence of the sternguard has forced me to switch to an all reserves list simply because having the sternguard chew up two transports immediately is too expensive.
This is why I voted Sternguard. There's a reason opposition players hate them, and there's also a reason no opposition players care too much about Vanguard Vets. Largely because they suck.

Vanguard are, in effect, a sickeningly expensive Assault Squad with an extra attack on their profile, who don't get Jump Packs, or indeed any form of transport, as standard, and whilst Heroic Intervention can be kind of cool in a Drop Pod army it's still just not worth the expense for a load of WS4, S4, I4 models. Sternguard are also a pricey unit but they can really bring the pain, in addition to bringing a load of special and heavy weapons, and best of all they can be used as scoring units.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I take Sternguard every time. With their special ammo they can tackle just about anything. High toughness? Hellfire rounds for you. In cover? Have ammo for that too. Power armor? Pfft, Vengeance rounds for you my friend. Add a Drop pod and they can reliably be gunning away first turn.

In addition, anything with an AV their bolters can't crack you can just add a few combi-meltas and your good.

Bottom line, they get the job done nicely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sternguard...as im a crimson fists player and with pedro they counts as scoring units and in objective games they can rip apart your oppositions scoring units on objectives and proceed to hold them for enitre games.besides you cant beat a droppod full of a 10-man squad of sternguard with combiflamers....its almost spitoonage.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
sternguard all the way

atm i have a 5 man van vet unit which i'm gonna put jump packs on but im sorting out a sternguard with all having combimelta's - easy to convert - means 5 turns worth of special shots 4 cos of their special ammo and one from the melta.

both are pricy, i also play crimson fists and the perdro rule is good but sterns win even without the rule

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personally, I think the vanguard sound pretty sweet in theory. With the DP Assault and Heroic Intervention rules you'd have a choice between a deliciously devestating first turn charge or a painful card up your sleeve for a later counter assault, flank attack or what have you.

Without jump packs (a waste since as soon as they're no longer in close combat, it's pretty much guaranteed they'll be eating up a lot of fire) they don't really cost more (10 Vet being only 35 points more than 10 Assault Marines for an extra 10 attacks)

As far as I'm concerned they are more of a scalpel than a hammer. A delicate tool to be used for a specific purpose.

All that being said, I plan on getting a sternguard vet squad before vanguard hehe.

·
Tactical Avante-Gard
2,095 Posts
Sterngard.
Have you ever faced a squad of 10 Marines off against Tau in a shootout?
Sterngard do it so well!
Both wound each other equally reliably, but Marines hit more accurately and ignore saves with the same range! Then cometh the Kroot and you just rapid-fire the hellfire, and so on.

Ultimate Tau-killers, with combi-weapons using the special ammo, and not to mention (if you're willing to sacrifice ONE WHOLE TURN to let them load up) the heavy weapons.
Short range , long-range assault, teamed up with an Ironclad, they are the shiz.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sternguard would have to be the most versetile of the two. to understand this look at your enemies and compair the statistics e.g. charging geanstealers with vangard wouldn't be the best option due they will still strike you first also you still have the problem with deep striking, however with sternguard using a dropod you don't have to worrie about the mishap and when wounding on 2+ your shore to kill quite a few

·
Registered
237 Posts
sternguard are better games wise but vanguard are just uber cool 5xmarines jumpacks lightening claws and shrike goes ow ow ow infiltrate them then pounce and hopefully consolidate into behind cover ill admit i have only play tested it not tried it competiitvley yet but lighting claws are cool and if u feel like protecting them switch 1 claw for storm shiields 3+ 3+ not great but not poor either its food for thought oh and if u do have the points or the balls to try it in a smaller game same set up but with ten vanguard with lc/ss and shrike and a chaplain with jump pack!! mmm kill kill kill destroy (hopefully)

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
As a Necron player, Sternguard has completely changed the way I play. I can no longer effectively field a C'Tan if my opponent plays Space Marines, simply because there may be a unit of Sternguard in it. When one of those units Drop Pods in, it can take out 360 points in one round of shooting. It's quite annoying.

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
It's not even a question, Sternguard are great and Vanguard are terrible.

It's like comparing Lootas to Flash Gitz.
Aww, that's just mean. At least there are certain situations (aka small unit of gitz + badrukk) where flash gitz can actually accomplish something, namely mowing down 2+ saves. Vanguard...no, they've got no redemption in my eyes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I did use vanguard very successful, especially if you want a very decent CC unit. I used a libby with force dome and only gave my vanguard 1 power weapon, a set of claws, and a relic blade and they ate through a squad of orks no problem. Er nobz even. I had a chapter master with a pair of claws as well. Sure the unit cost me around 600 some points, and I could have done it more efficiently, but.. it was fun. I had 6 or 7 vanguard left at the end of the game after eating a squad of nobz, and a 30 man boy unit. Sternguard I use for serious games though. They never fail at killing anything, especially wraithlords. Sternguard are just a bit pricy though. Running Kantor to make them scoring is too valueable to pass up though.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sternguard all the way, I once brought down Ku' Grathr (or whatever that overpriced Nurgle Greater Daemon special character is called) with a single volley of hellfire rounds from the squad, getting well over their points back in a single shooting phase, and more importantly I became the first person to kill the thing in my local gaming group.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.