Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I am starting a Dwarf army and was just flickin through the book.
Just thought I ask the veterans what is good and bad in the book?
Any must have units?
Is the anvil worth the points?
Are gyro's a must to help solve movement?
Which warmachines are better/worse?

Just thought some advice would help before I spend the $$$

Cheers

·
Registered
110 Posts
Any must have units?
It is very hard to answer this question, because our units are does not differ in, toughness, ld ship area and unit choices really depends on what kind of army you plan to field. However i recommend that you shoul field at least an organ gun in every army.
However if you are forming your army. To start, all, battalion and battle for skull pass miniatures are must have. That is warriors, thunderers, longbeards, cannon, organ gun and miners. After that u should try to gather an anvil, hammerers and lord, Gyrocopter, bolt throwers and a grudgethrower. And remember you can never have enough warriors.
Is the anvil worth the points?
Yes. What dwarfs lack is movement and it enables us to slow opponnet and makes us faster. How I wish it was more reliable.
Are gyro's a must to help solve movement?
Yes. all units are 6 Inch ground move gyro is 20 inch flying move.
Which warmachines are better/worse?
Flame canon is a bit expensive for my taste because gyrocopter is a better option (reliable, flying machine) most of the time with same points. Others are all stiuational to choose but i like all of them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers. I already have Battle for Skull Pass. Can also get some more of those models as a few players in my area have them lying around. I want to make a competitive army as most of the players at the club are veterans and play in alot of tournaments. I know Dwarfs aren't Tier 1 material but I like the short fella's and am up for the challenge. Was looking at building up to 2250pts as that is the norm for tourneys in my area. Can only have one lord choice so I will have to take the Runelord if I want the Anvil. It's alot of points though but it seems pretty sound.

Any suggestions on how to equip a thane?
Are master engineers worth putting with a warmachine or is that nor cost effective?
Runesmiths - leave em bare with some dispel scrolls or make em combat effective as well?
Daemon/Dragon/Trollslayers - cost effective? They seem like they could die quite easily to shooting/magic.
Warriors/LongBeards - shield or great weapon as they have low initiative anyway and will usually strike last?
Quarrellers vs Thunderers? Any preference
Cannon - doesn't seem that cost effective compared to a bolt thrower/grudge thrower?
Hammerers vs IronBreakers - I'm leaning towards hammerers because of stubborn

Think I will definitely include an organ gun and a gyro. At least just to try em out. They look cool.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick feedback. +1 rep

·
Registered
110 Posts
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/dwarfs/114678-runic-archive.html
Here you can find many different options.
If your thane is BSB or combat resolution thane (thane of pain), or defensive thane.
Equip accordingly.

Are master engineers worth putting with a warmachine or is that nor cost effective?
Again, this is choice wise preference. a cannon with rune of forging and master engineer is the hardest thing that hits something, that dwarfs have. In addition with a bracer of pistol to your ME you give you machine a neat defensive option. An interesting combo i use is i field a cannon with MasterEngineer (ME) and a bolth thrower side by side. Use d6 damage of cannon upgrade of ME first. After big targets are destroyed or smoothered by cannon. I move my ME to Bolt thrower to give balistic skill advantage to bt. in addition. you can entrench one of your warmachines at the start (giving enemy -2 to shoot if machine does not move). Which has saved my organ gun from repeater bolt thrower salvos or jezzail snipes.

Runesmiths - leave em bare with some dispel scrolls or make em combat effective as well?
Do not equip them with runic items. They are there for magical protection. with rune of stone and shield they can survive most challenges and combat.

Daemon/Dragon/Trollslayers - cost effective? They seem like they could die quite easily to shooting/magic.

Dragon slayer vs Daemon slayer always Dragon slayer wins. for 50 points you get an unbreakeble guy with T5 and 3-4 attacks.
troll slayers are sitiuational units. I suggest not founding your army on them and use small units for flank protection. Protect them from shooting using terrain and put them in the combat asap. They wont break.

Warriors/LongBeards - shield or great weapon as they have low initiative anyway and will usually strike last?
Longbeards do not usually need great weapon in my opinion being str 4. shields are better. However you may choose to field a small great weapon warriors to flank enemies. Use you imagination and have one, there are many options and none are absolutley correct or wrong.

Thunderers are better. If you have points get thunderers allways.

Cannon - doesn't seem that cost effective compared to a bolt thrower/grudge thrower?
Cannon and bt shoot differently, usually does the samething, hit large targets. You may hit your target (and other things in the shooting line) even you miss guess with cannon but bt has one chance only. And cannon is able to snipe things, (allways target a character in a unit who knows he may roll 1 in look out sir dice), however it is expensive and unreliable. Grudgethrower has a different concept. Use it to destroy large units, and target unit crowd of the enemy.

Some of thinks ironbreakers +1 armor save is better. But i believe you are on the right track. Buy a shield for your hammerers and you will get 4+ (cc 3+) armor saved, with great weapon optioned, stubborn dwarfs. Ironbreakers have only +3 (cc+2) armor save. Hammerers are better.

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
Cheers. I already have Battle for Skull Pass. Can also get some more of those models as a few players in my area have them lying around. I want to make a competitive army as most of the players at the club are veterans and play in alot of tournaments. I know Dwarfs aren't Tier 1 material but I like the short fella's and am up for the challenge. Was looking at building up to 2250pts as that is the norm for tourneys in my area. Can only have one lord choice so I will have to take the Runelord if I want the Anvil. It's alot of points though but it seems pretty sound.

Think I will definitely include an organ gun and a gyro. At least just to try em out. They look cool.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick feedback. +1 rep
deeyo already pointed out the runic archive and I would like to give you two of my favourite combinations:
The Tank; great weapon, master rune of gromril, ( optional: masterrune of spite ). Really cheap and hits hard with str 6, with a high armoursave, weaponskill and T5 to last a long time, especially with that 4+ wardave.
Grunt bane: rune of fury, rune of cleaving, rune of snorri, rune of stone, shield.
A 2+ armoursave will keep him alive, while he chops around with 4 str 5 attacks with +1 to hit. Against nearly all T3 units you will hit and wound on 2's. Great for ranking up a lot of points in combat and reduce the number of enemies quikly.

If you can use them well, they are worth the points. Next to his obvious advantages to warmachines he is great for defending your warmachines too. Entrench the one you feel will be important. When the warmachine with the ME is attacked he should out a long time, dwarf crews are stubborn ( I'm not sure if this counts for master engineers that joined it though ) and if you just give your engi a great weapon or brace of pistols most regular warmachine hunters like fast cavalry shouldn't be able to stand against him. If you happen to have points left, give the warmachine a stalwart or valiant rune, making your warmachinecrew + master engineer unbreakable, or giving them +1 combatresolution. Unless you get the real nasties down on you like tomb scorpions, hordes of dark elf or skaven assassins or other hard hitters, then you might want to worry. But when entrenched your enemy will lose charging bonusses, so no spears or lances, giving you a good chance to make it through the combat without losing a single crewmember and using the ME to smash them into the dirt with a great weapon.

Cannons with ME's do D6 wounds, which is lovely against armies with lot's of multiwound models ( Ogres comes to mind ). With an master engineer and rune of accuracy you can make your grudge thrower the most accurate one in the game, however also the most expensive, so keep that in mind. A ME with a bolt thrower is fun, as you are more likely to hit, but the ME is nearly twice as expensive so I'd rather put him somewhere else.

Give him a rune of stone and shield or great weapon and he should be fine. He will fit in nice to boost the combat prowess of a unit of warriors if you don't have any thanes to spare to babysit them. I've put him in different units a couple of times, most often I put him in the warriorunit but I've also used him in a miner unit, and with a great weapon in a unit of quarrelers with great weapons. Great to use that unit as flanker. He has ws5 and 2 attacks. He is far above normal wizards.

As deeyo said, Dragon slayers wins every time. the Daemonslayer is ridiculously more expensive and takes up a lord choice for an extra ws, wound and attack. I'd rather just take 2 dragon slayers.

Trollslayers are nice, but they draw a lot of attention ( how couldn't they with those orange mohawks ) and enemy fire, prepare to lose them in droves, despite T4. If you want to take them and your opponent has an army with quite a lot of missilefire, then take the Masterrune of Grungni to get as many of them in combat, as that's where they shine. Also take two or three giant slayers in the unit. They are more expensive, but also stronger and they act as champions. The enemy will specifically have to say that he will be targetting them and if he doesn't you can hit him with 4 - 6 str 6 attacks or 6 - 9 str 4 attacks.

Shields, shields always unless it's a small group of warriors to flank enemies. Dwarfs hardly ever get the charge and against the bit more elite enemies often your front rank will be gone before you even get to hit back. They shouldn't have that much trouble with regular Ws3 T3 Str3 enemies but if they get higher stas it could become nasty. With shields you can try to get as few casualties as possible and win on the static combat res.

quarrelers are cheaper and have longer range, thunderers have armourpiercing and +1 to hit. It's all down to personal preference. Also, quarrelers can carry great weapons and give a considerable boost to the battle line, charging into a combat with str 5. Only two days ago 5 remaining quarrelers out of 10 ( darn you, hail of doom arrows and rolling 16!! ) charged into a wood elf noble on eagle that was ripping bits out of my organ gun crew and smote it a final blow. Choppidichopchop.
Quarrelers are also handy when deployed as rangers as they can hinder the enemies advance by marchblocking and if you put them in the edge of the forest they can take potshots at the enemy in the light cover and move towards the enemy later on when they have passed the forest.

You need a rune of forging to make it effective.

- A cannon is basically an upped bolt thrower and if you guess the distance right you will hit most of the time, not dependent on a dice roll as much as a bolt thrower.
- It has strenght 10 so it can wound anything on 2's.
- You can use it to snipe lone wizards, heroes, and even characters in units. I once killed my enemies saurus scar veteran in turn 1.
- when enemies get close, prepare the scrap! You can fire over enemies with the breath template at strenght artillerydice, could wipe out the odd fast cav.

Personal preference. Ironbreakers are a brick wall and stop an enemy, aren't too bad at combat either and can take quite a lot of missilefire.
Hammerers are a sponge and will inevitably suffer quite a load of casualties when you use them with great weapons, as they are not likely to get an charges and strike last in subsequent rounds of combat. Use a lord with tasty runic weapon and master rune of swiftness to kill as many enemies as possible, before they get to strike your hammerers. If you cut down nearly the entire front rank, then all your hammerers are free to reap a grim tally on the enemy unit. Because they are stubborn they are unlikely to run when they happen to lose the first round of combat by being charged and losing a lot of hammerers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts