Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
It depends on your playing style, but personally I'm an Ultramarines man...

Alternatively, you could make your own Chapter like I did...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree wuth BobaHat, it really depends on you style. I use the basic codex (Crimson Fists) I believe it is the most fexable. It allows you to do the whole combined arms thing well and gives you options.

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
The basic Codex is actually meant to be Ultramarines. Strictly speaking since they are a successor chapter, the CF's should use the Imperial Fist rules.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Inquisitor,
I built my army long before the rules for the imperial fists, in Index Astartes, rules came out. I was under the impression that the space marine codex could be used for all chapters, even the chapters that are made-up by gamers accross the world. Even when you use the updates in Index Astartes supplements, don"t you still need the Basic codex for your army? I agree with you in a sence that the basic codex was for the Ultramarines, but it has to be the standard for all other chapters weather they have a supplement or not. would'nt you agree?

I do use the Imperial Fist supplement in Wd, but if you read the Rynns world campaign story realeased in white dwarf 5 years ago, the story and how the remaining Crimson Fists, which the chapter was later started from again, is not consistant with the rules for the Imperial Fists and thier "successor chapter". At the end of this campaign there was about 100+ marines remainning of the chapter. The chapter had to be refitted and requiped. During the Rynns world campaign the CF's had to resort to lightning fast raids and target strikes, once again not consistant with there suposed doctrine.

The rules for the Imperial fists and their successor chapters are cruddy, though I use them, I am not required to use them.

Since those rules came out I have not played my CF's, because....the rules are not in the spirit of the chapter and until they are changed I will play my other armies

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Originally posted by ARMYMAN@Jul 11 2003, 19:16
Hey Inquisitor,
I built my army long before the rules for the imperial fists, in Index Astartes, rules came out. I was under the impression that the space marine codex could be used for all chapters, even the chapters that are made-up by gamers accross the world. Even when you use the updates in Index Astartes supplements, don"t you still need the Basic codex for your army? I agree with you in a sence that the basic codex was for the Ultramarines, but it has to be the standard for all other chapters weather they have a supplement or not. would'nt you agree?
Yes, all SM Chapters basically follow the Codex Astartes whether they like it or not (10 man squads, basic armament for different squad types etc.). The only exception is the Space Wolves.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok for a start drak angels are the best there is, the there was and the best there ever wil be. Also the crimson fists have only 17 mean and the picture on the front of the space marine codex is there last stand. It is true that cimson fists have changed from a secondary founding chaper to a first founding and back again but whos complaing i still think its all good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Inquistor,

NO problem......I was just commenting ( standing on my soap box) about your observation. I did'nt believe you were issuing a directive. Your observation mearly gave me the avenue to spout off about my dissapointment of the Imperial Fists and thier successor chapter rules. I just thought they (GW) gave them a raw deal when the Crimson Fists are the poster boys for the codex. My rent was not aimed at you. If it seemed like it, I humbly apologize.

Its all good....

·
DING
1,740 Posts
They didnt bring out a codex ultramarines did they? I havent heard of it. But back to the original question. It all depends on your personal prefrence, if you want a good close combat army you want a chapter like the Blood Angels or Black Templars. If you want a good shooty army you can go for the salamanders or other such chapters. If you want a good all round army ultramarines or any army picked from the codex would work fairly well. The beauty of a SM army is that there is something to cater for everyones taste and that they are units availbale that are good for everything imaginable. But if you are talking fluff wise then my personal favourite would have to be the Space Wolves.........or maybe the blood angels...............but i like the Dark Angels aswell...or the Black Templars...........damn i think i'll just roll a D6 for it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Originally posted by arch_heretik@Jul 12 2003, 14:36
yes there was a codex:ultramarines my gw supplier used to have it but it got sold.
really do they really have a codex for ultramarines cause i cant find one on the gw website

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Space Marines of the Ultramarines Chapter are renowned for their loyalty and their rigid adherence to the traditions laid down in the Codex Astartes. In this excerpt from the forthcoming Codex Ultramarines, we delve into the background and history of these supreme warriors
this quote can be found at http://www.criticalhit.co.uk/w40krp/WD184_...ramarines.shtml just in case you dont believe me

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
There was a Codex Ultramarines for 2nd ed but not for 3rd ed though. Codex Space Marines pretty much uses the Ultramarines as the base for its rules anyway.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.