Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious...although it's a dumb question i just want to double check what i believe is right! Are the rules in the Codexs as well as the Rulebook?? :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
overall rules that apply to all armies are in the rule book, along with the stat lines for most of the warhammer 40k armies. The codexes are more indepth for their specified army, and usually contain updates that the rule book lacks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The rulebook itself should give you the most elemental things you need to know, it's even got listed the army lists, you could use this list but then again in my oppinion the list there is outdated.
If you are dedicated to playing your army the correct way, then you should and must get yourself the codex for your army...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hehe, outdated?? The army lists in the rulebook suck! Little variety, lacks new races, lacks special rules and weapons, lacks everything!! I even wonder why the heck they leave those army lists in, it's not like they're even close to the codex list usually :unsure: .

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
No but it still gives you a fair insight on most of the other races without having to buy every single codex...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Well, okay, but I think if they gave a description of each race (no rules, just fluff and their method of attacking, in reasonable depth of course) that would be much better. Now ppl look at the army lists, pick the one that doesn't suck too much, and then realise there's new armies, and the lists of every other army is completely different from the one in the rulebook.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Just to throw a wrench in the works, there are also two Chapter Approved books with updated rules, and the on-line FAQs on the GW site that clarify some of the rules. Your best bet, if you don't have the rulebooks, is to require your opponent to produce any rules in writing when they want to use them. For example, if they tell you blocking all the exits of a vehicle when it is destroyed kills all the occupants (a rule in CA) have them show it to you.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I believe the reason the army lists are in the rulebook are so everyone could use their existing army when third edition was released rather than waiting for all the codexs to be released. When 3rd ed. was released the only codex that accompanied it's release was Codex SM so without those lists in the rulebook only Space Marine players could play 40k.
So yes they are all outdated and lacking but they were a nessesary evil.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Just kidding...
Just the codex for your army and that should be about enough...
I try to get as many of the codexes as I can, cause I simply wanna read what there is to know about other armies too...

Trying to build up my own library you know...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Aye that's what I do. I have just about every codex I think, under the motto of Know Thine Enemy. If it ain't for rules, it's for fluff anyway.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Buy the rulebook. Read it. I am amazed at the number of people I have played 40K that have not done that.
...I believe the reason the army lists are in the rulebook are so everyone could use their existing army...
Moncs is right. That is why they originaly included that army lists in the rule book. Buy the codex for the army that you play. The rules in the codex supercede those in the rulebook. Wolfraider also put up a great point. You may also want to download the FAQ's for your army also.

If you want to know every nuance of every army, buy all the codexs. But that is not needed. Make sure when you play have your codex, FAQ, and rulebook on hand. This will help answer any questions that come up when you play, and have your opponent do the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.