Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost every day I see a new thread saying " I wanna start a new army help me pick one". Like WE know what army somebody might like. And most of the time it seems that they've already half made a choice, and are just looking for somebody to say "Go ahead, you'll win EVERY game if you go with army X!". rarely if ever does the post state what the person is looking for in their new army, and when they do it's really vague like "Non human" or "really shooty, but not Tau" or something else to that effect. Most of the time these posts recieve 3-5 replies.

Really if you can't decide with all the info ALREADY posted here and elsewhere, anything we say isn't going to help you.... fer Chrissakes obtain some codexes and play people! Proxies are plentiful and easy to come by!

I guess what I'm saying is:

These posts just seem to be popularity polls, as all the replies yer gonna get are who prefers what army.

·
994 Posts
and i am just wondering what is the point of this post if not to get yourself some post count.

if you have a problem with people posting asking which army people think would be good for them then tell me.

alot of people new to the game need guidance and in these posts they get told what are good and bad about each post. or would you rather they posted nce in each ary forum asking what is good and bad about each army.

·
850 Posts
i agree with k3. Aslo, what the hell is the point w/ this topic.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If this thread stops one person from posting a "which army should I choose" thread, than this thread DOES have purpose. I'm getting pretty annoyed by them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think his post has a meaning: to stop thread-spamming.
The threads with "what army should i get" usually doesnt conatin _any_ info on what kind of army the person wants (shooty, hth etc) and _no_ info on fluff preferences. I do agree with LordHat.

I cant believe people dont know what army to choose caus its so simple:
Choose the one that appeals to you.
Choose the one you find cool or good-looking.
Choose the one that has fluff that feels cool.

The armies are meant to be balanced so theres no reason trying to find the "best" army.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Exactly. Here's how I picked my armies.

1) Chaos- I orginally wanted Marines, but my friend wanted to play SM, so I went on the GW website, found chaos marines, thought they were cooler, started chaos.
2) Tau- Thought shooting units with giant guns was badass. Started tau.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by kommissar karls kadians@Nov 3 2003, 08:53
and i am just wondering what is the point of this post if not to get yourself some post count.

if you have a problem with people posting asking which army people think would be good for them then tell me.

alot of people new to the game need guidance and in these posts they get told what are good and bad about each post. or would you rather they posted nce in each ary forum asking what is good and bad about each army.
If I really wanted to get my post count up, then I would post in single sentences, and reply to EVERY post. Besides, what point is there to a High post count? Do I get a cash prize for it? How about a T-shirt? Didn't think so. Also I said nothing about the NEW players. If yer looking for a NEW army, yer not a new player, unless you've collected 500 points, then decided you didn't like the army. Then again this is very rare, as most people won't know the army well enough to say till they own at least 1,000 points worth. After I bought 1,000 points of Necrons I wasn't too keen on switching armies..... that's quite a bit O' cash I had invested already.

All I'm saying is that if you need help deciding what army to collect next, then maybe you don't need to collect a new army.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Interesting point. I too get a little agitated with all those posts, as the person will always pick what he likes best anyway. And every reply is standard, first you get some stuff like "army X r0xx0rz!!", then a more intelligent person comes along and asks for the standard questions. Why people can't figure this out on their own is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yes, it does end up as a popularity contest, at first I tried to give my advice on those posts, but after geting swamped by them, I stopped.

·
Registered
857 Posts
How about we either a) add this to the rules and lock this thread or B) restart, lock and pin a copy of the original post. This needs to be said, but it doesn't need to be discussed so much.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Dang BID... nice pic. Very über Gothic... I agree that there are too many "help me with an army" topics. Just pick one that looks cool and play it, thats how i got started.

One more thing, you know how we have the guidelines for newbies to the game? We should add in some guidlines as to picking out an army.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
I try not to fly in the face of authority too much, but if a thread is getting this much attention, then it obviously DOES need to be discussed. It's really not any more silly than the one word game that went on for 40+ pages the last time I "checked" it. ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
In a way, all the new threads are pretty annoying, but at the same time i look at the old ones and quite a few of the starters of the topic have been given good advice on what to do... from ppl who may have been helped by others, etc. I dont think there is anything wrong with ppl asking what to do, cos we were all newbies once :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Deciever@Nov 3 2003, 16:50
This needs to be said, but it doesn't need to be discussed so much.
Why not? obviously people wanna talk about it, or this thread would have went the way of the dodo with the first post.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Originally posted by TzeentchPlayer @ Nov 4 2003+ 01:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TzeentchPlayer @ Nov 4 2003 @ 01:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Dang BID... nice pic. Very über Gothic... [/b]

Ta dude. That's in my sig now ;) .

<!--QuoteBegin-H0urg1ass @ Nov 4 2003
@ 16:59
It's really not any more silly than the one word game that went on for 40+ pages the last time I "checked" it. [/quote]
Want to hear something freaky? It's not the first...

Now, what can we do about choosing an army threads? I'm thinkinf of a pinned post in the newbies forum, with guidelines for picking an army, strengths and weaknesses of all, that sort of thing. Of course we'd have to get people to read it though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.