Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am very interested in Chaos, I like the small numbers and unique troops that have more to them than just a basic space marine. I haven't been tempted enough by the gods to get the codex yet, but my will is only so strong. However, after reading a lot about Chaos I find one thing keeps repeating itself, that is NEVER TO GET EXCITED OVER WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH CHAOS.

Seems there is always a way to drop a ton of points for that uber cool squad, but doing so is frowned upon. I mean you guys must give in and have at least one super cool, dynamic, uber fun squad...right. I know Chaos has the best troop choices in the game, and they cost a ton of points, so stick to the basics and you will win. And then there are the ever popular HQ choices that can rip apart a full 10 man unit alone. You must have at least one insaneo squad right?

If so, do you not take an elaborate HQ? At how many points do you introduce the fancy death squad, it seems it's 1500 pts. So after 1500 pts (1850 pts seems right) you get one crazy unit. What are they?

It seems with Khorne an army is bezerkers, and more bezerkers...bloodletters then big HQ. Nurgle it's units of 7, more units of seven infantry.....big HQ. Etc..

So if I were to start Chaos, I would probably buy the uber cool unit first and model/convert/paint them first and say "Wow they are cool, and they can do this in CC and that in CC and are so awesome if they were a food they would be 7 layer chocolate cake cause that's how good they are!!!!"

So what I am saying is....can I get some ideas for what you think is the super cool, useful gamewise, useful point wise, fun and awesome unit from hell. I don't care what god, if I am to start Chaos I need this unit, and then I'll base my army around it. So give me your best. Give your god/army bragging rights for having the awesomest and most useful and most scary unit to face in the game!!!

P.S. Sorry for the rant, I just need help making up my mind. By the way after work I am so getting the codex, I'm all wound up about it now!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine is khorne berzerker bikers. they are fast attack and awsome in combat when they have chain axes and an aspiring champ with powerfist. i also use them as a unit to summon daemons and teleport in a chaos lord so will rarely be short of backup. they can inflict devestating damage early on in the game and look great. 8 for only 260 odd points.

chaos have loads of cool units and im sure others will tell you more

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
So if I were to start Chaos, I would probably buy the uber cool unit first and model/convert/paint them first and say "Wow they are cool, and they can do this in CC and that in CC and are so awesome if they were a food they would be 7 layer chocolate cake cause that's how good they are!!!!"
I think we all done that. So on every Chaosplayer's shelf now stands an überevilmonsterkillemallandleavenoteventheirbones-unit worth somewhere around 300-700 points, collecting dust.

If you search this board using words like "expensive" and stuff you'll find a handfull of threads on this.
I think you should get one though, as they are really fun to have. It's good for the narative games, and it gives flavour to your army.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andusciassus said:
I think we all done that. So on every Chaosplayer's shelf now stands an überevilmonsterkillemallandleavenoteventheirbones-unit worth somewhere around 300-700 points, collecting dust.
I kinda don't want something like 10 AC in a LR all with powerfists....I get the game and I want to use this unit but when I do, I want to feel confident that they will kill and look good, kick butt and be different all at once. I don't want to be saying to myself, oh please don't shoot at them, please, oh please oh please!!! :(

But I'll check out the search, I've gone through pages and pages on here already however. Thanks

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
When I had a night lords army, that would have been my 8 raptors with furious charge and gubbinz (+chaos lord) and another unit with tank hunter.

Dull, repetitive and expensive.

With my all new black legion, the most expensive unit it 208pts (bloodletters) just getting in ahead of the bloodthirster and a power fist toting unit of CSM (205 each).

·
438 Posts
Personally, I like the Possessed marines for a cool tough unit. Giving mine the Talons gift and a Rhino for transport. 6-10 Marines with invulnerable saves, extra strength, and rending melee attacks. And almost every cult can use them, too (the Slaanesh version would just be cruel to use ^_^ because then they also hit first most times). And if you make a melee-centric HQ, you can add them in place of the last marine and have a grand ole time! And it's a very unique unit you don't see often.

Another good unit is Obliterators. I know of nothing else quite like them, and they're basically always worth thier points to boot.

Tons of conversion opporunity for both of these units, too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Chosen aspiring champions.. with a welth of daemonic gifts?
Mark of khorne maybe!
FEEL NO PAIN even! btw, FnP RAWKS!
And, they won't die.. (much)

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
right.. no ubersquads you say.

Well, it all depends what you want.

Terminators seem pretty much to fit this role.. they're a big central unit for your army which can scare the pants off your opponent and rule in (certain types of) CC combat.

They also don't have to be expensive.. Chaos terminators are a good deal more economical than their loyalist cousins, and much more flexible besides. Personally, because I'm an EC player, I field.

6 Terminators including 1 aspiring champion 1 blastmaster and 1 chainfist, and the rest power weapons. All have the mark of slannesh, and the champion has a rapturous standard (it's fun having plasma guns bounce off you for a turn when your terminators are standing around wondering what to do after teleporting.) I'm considering adding a sorceror in high points games, but I'm not sure yet.

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
Definitely Raptors.

Infiltrate lets them assault on the first turn, Furious Charge makes them grizzly in the first round, the models take my breath away, Daemon Visage makes enemy units test at -2 to their LD (HUGE plus), and lets be honest, a jump-packin' chainsaw-wielding, shrieking CSM is about the most beautiful thing I can think of.... drool....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep em coming

Well it's nice to see some feedback on this, thanks guys, I'm very pumped to start a new army! Now what seems to be the consensous is that the unit has to engage in CC ASAP, my top three choices so far are bikes, raptors and chosen/possessed + transport...however I've never modeled bikes so they seem to be in the lead right now.

Still don't know what army to choose, so can you guys expand on your answers a bit? Just answer these questions really, remember, I want a cool unit to build off of for a particular army type and I'm starting from scratch. So state if you will...

1. What is the tempting unit you like to take over 1500 pts?
2. What legion/god is this unit acting under?
3. What other basic units would work well with this unit as support and why?

Another question though, what gives me the most conversion capeabilities? SO what models are entirely cast in metal? I think raptors are, so poses are limited. And bikes are plastic now right? What box set would be a good start for a chosen/possessed unit?

Well thanks for the help guys, looking forward to hearing more!

·
438 Posts
Alrighty, let's see. I'll expand on the Possessed idea I mention earlier.

A squad of 9-10 possessed with a transport can be very nice. They come with Daemonic Aura and Strength already, and have a nice list of other gifts that you can choose from to give the entire squad one more gift. This offers huge modelling / conversion chances with the shear variety of things available. The simplest thing to do for a squad of these is just buy a normal Chaos Space Marine box or two. These come with a mutation sprue that adds several mutated arms and heads, and the models are entirely plastic. You can also bits-order other add-ons instead depending on what gift you choose to add to the unit. The most popular tend to be either Daemonic Visage, or Daemonic Talons. Only Chosen can match the variety of modelling available, and they cost a lot more per unit to get that ability since they have to first take an aspiring champ upgrade.

The Possessed can be taken with nearly any diety (I think Tzeentch may not have the option, but no codex on hand to double-check). Undivided keeps them cheaper. Khorne and Slaanesh make them even more viscious in CC, and Nurgle makes them plain hard to kill. So you can change armies a good bit and still be able to pull this unit out. Bikers are slightly more limited I think, and Raptors are much more limited in who can deploy them (only undivided armies).

They're a great CC unit. And you can back them up however you like. If you want an assault-heavy army, add some units like Khorne Berserkers, or some summoned daemons to bring in with them. If you're getting a more shooty-army, then focus the rest of the list on that and you can use this unit as a fire magnet / counter-assault.

I back mine up with a pair of summoned daemonette squads, and stick a Chaos Lt with them as well. And since my possessed have Talons, that makes 3 melee units right off that all have rending attacks and invulnerable saves. I also have a Daemon Prince and an infiltrating CC squad in the list, for even more assault backup. And a Defiler and Dread that help take some fire off the rhino these possesed are moving up in.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm splurging my biker HQ.

5 of them, almost 500 pts.

Gotta love that.

Also, check out my post in the '"mixed" chosen squad' thread. It's the 7th reply.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
The_Giant_Mantis said:
right.. no ubersquads you say.

Well, it all depends what you want.

Terminators seem pretty much to fit this role.. they're a big central unit for your army which can scare the pants off your opponent and rule in (certain types of) CC combat.

They also don't have to be expensive.. Chaos terminators are a good deal more economical than their loyalist cousins, and much more flexible besides. Personally, because I'm an EC player, I field.

6 Terminators including 1 aspiring champion 1 blastmaster and 1 chainfist, and the rest power weapons. All have the mark of slannesh, and the champion has a rapturous standard (it's fun having plasma guns bounce off you for a turn when your terminators are standing around wondering what to do after teleporting.) I'm considering adding a sorceror in high points games, but I'm not sure yet.
What do you think of upgrading to a sonic blaser- worth it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think the sonic blaster is worth it in shooty squads. I feel bad first off for making an EC squad shooty, because they pay 5 points for extra initiative and that is only usefull in CC, but they do have good weapon options, to become shooty squads. I think that sonic makes them much better at shooting.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Narrowing down...

So I am closer to knowing what I want, I've been checking out google images for different styles of units and I know what I want and don't want. I am liking big mutants/daemons, terminators (nurgle the most) and bikes (preferably on the large clear bases that land speeders come on). I am not liking vehicles or daemonettes (the looks at least).

I think I want a big, beefy army that footslogs the most part. Infiltration would be nice, so would summoning. I'm liking the morbid icons that I am seeing, will have fun converting those. So what do I need? I'm thinking of a stupid large squad of terminators, 10 to be precise. I'm taking that Big Mutants and Obliterators are monsterous creatures, so I can see a bunch of these marching up the field with lots of CC geared marines behind them since monsterous creatures block line of sight. I see a squad of bikes on the flank in cover ready to charge shooty units after turbo boosting. I see an infiltrating unit teleporting the termis in close (if they work that way like space marines do). Maybe an HQ with stature gettingn summoned from the bikes? Help me out here, what should I collect?

- big mutants
- obliterators
- bikes
- mass of troops
- a lot of terminators (probably the cheapest ones)
- infiltrating unit (havocs...?)
- large HQ

So there we go, what unit should get all the goodies? What army should I collect?

Thanks in advance

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
First I must say I think I misunderstood your first post, sorry.

then there are a few things that you have gotten wrong on some units.
Big Mutants belong in the Lost and the Damned from Codex:Eye of Terror.
Neither them nor Obliterators are Monsterous Creatures.
Finally, a Daemonic Prince with Daemonic Stature is not summoned, he is deployed as a normal HQ-unit.

As for what army to collect there is but one anwser if you are uncertain and thet's the Black Legion. This army allows you to field all units from the codex, all the other armies are restricted. The Cult-armies (Deathguard, Thousand Sons etc) can only field units bearing the mark of their patron god. the other armies can only field units bearing the Mark of Chaos Undivided or no mark at all.

Another option could be the Lost and the Damned, they can use Chaos Space Marines as allies and offer great conversion opportunities.

·
438 Posts
I'll second the Black Legion option. You can start with a bit of everything, including cult units (as elites, mind you) and then expand out later into a cult army, building off your Black Legion units once you get a better feel for what you like the most.

From the sounds of it, you'd probably be interested in the Khorne and Nurgle armies for that later expansion. Or even a Khorne or Nurgle-themed Black Legion army if you want to keep things like Obliterators in the list. Both are good at marching up the field with troops compared to the other armies, and both have plenty of mutant-looking guys (nurgle especially), and plenty of big mean guys.

If you like monstrous creatures, a daemon prince with stature and a greater daemon are good places to start looking.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the clarification, I have no idea how these units work, all I'm basing this on are pictures and stuff. Chaos is still a little fuzzy to me. Black Legion is that hybrid Chaos army eh...and it let's me get the big stuff I want no restrictions right, cool. Lost and the damned sounds interesting too, I want to get a Forgeworld model and put him in this army, and there are a few Chaos monsters that look cool and would be rather unique to have. Check em out, I like the Chaos spawn, seems most realistic as a...could be used as a big mutant or a summoned something or a greater daemon...?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_WARHAMMER_MONSTERS_1.html

Anyway, am I getting off track here? Would say a large HQ + 5-6 Oblits + some kind of big mutant or something play well alongside vast amounts of charging infantry & terminators? The idea is forward at all costs. Would I be able to make a list like this with Lost and the Damned or Black Legion or something else? Getting closer guys......

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
As for what army to collect there is but one anwser if you are uncertain and thet's the Black Legion. This army allows you to field all units from the codex, all the other armies are restricted. The Cult-armies (Deathguard, Thousand Sons etc) can only field units bearing the mark of their patron god. the other armies can only field units bearing the Mark of Chaos Undivided or no mark at all.
Not true...Univided armies can take Marked Chaos Space Marine squads as elites, and they can take a greater daemon as one of their HQ's as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was thinking about how to splurge my tax rebates... and it took all of two minutes to figure out. An army made up of NOTHING but Khorne berzerkers.

Six squads of 16 and an HQ of 40 more Berzerkers + three squads of possesed berzerkers with daemonic flight - all lead by a single Uber Berzerkar Lord! And maybe I might throw in Kharn, I dunno.
Khoooorrrrrrnuh!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts