Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I have recently started a Mechanised Imperial Guard army and speaking to people at my local GW store they said that for painting tanks an airbrush will come in really handy. I have the citadel spray gun but am thinking of investing in a proper airbrush. What make and model would people recomend?

Thanks,
Rich.

·
Schemer
481 Posts
Well, I have heard a Infinity Harder & Stenbeck is quite good for the warhammer range. I don't own one yet (but I am planning to). I currently have a Paashe double action airbrush and it is pretty crappy. Anything smaller than 1cm is difficult to control and area smaller than 5mm are impossible. I basically use it for the first coat, that's it.

·
4,967 Posts
I would reccomend an airbrush like this

Spraymaster Precision Gravity And Siphon Side Feed Double Action Airbrush for models, hobby craft, custom auto, cake decorating and others - ABR1003: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

It is a double action with a .3mm needle alowing good detail but still able to give a reasonably large spray pattern to cover tanks. Ebay is also a good place for airbrushes of this type. Stay away from anything with a smaller needle. 0.2mm are great for superfine detail but cannot get decent coverage of large areas. 0.3mm and 0.5mm are best for general pourpose.

You will need an air hose and a source of air. Spraymaster sell some decent compressors for £50-80 and if you use more than 6 cans of air in a lifetime a compressor is definately worth it. You can also control the air pressure with a compressor giiving different effects. To save money and ensure that your compressopr, hose & airbrush all have the same fittings it is best to get a kit with everything included. They often also have a few cleaning products thrown in. Check out Amazon, ebay and everythingairbrush.com

Mad Cat

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Badger's 155 Anthem and 175 Crescendo are pretty much legendary as workhorse airbrushes. They have a very nice combination of fairly good performance and ease of use, with enough durability to survive even without perfect care and handling. Very highly recommended.

Paasche's VL is another legend, and possibly the most common airbrush on the planet - I've yet to see any sort of art or graphic design class without several of these. Again, good performance, easy to use, and durable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts