Votes: 9 45.0%
  • None, they all suck

Votes: 2 10.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Confused Corgi
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking over the equipment for my wizards in the army list I am putting together, and thought to myself...What lores should I have them know?

Which then gave me the idea, which of the 3 generic lores we have access to would be most useful in a hordes army.

So, please feel free to vote in the poll, and no-Nurgle Slaanesh and Tzeentch are not included in the options, I am only looking at Shadow, Fire and Death.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It all depends on who you will be facing and what you want to do with the magic.
I personally love fire, but I play mostly with LM, and my slaan loves to get off those juicy fire damage spells. I'm not a big fan of death, but shadow works well. Steed of Shadows its amazing. Use it to throw a Exalted champ at an unprotected unit or even use an asp. champ to go warmachine hunting. Thats just how I like to use it. Shadows is also good to hamper enemy, helps control them. Shades of Death is nice with fear, Unseen Lurker is a real game winner allowing one of your units to get a charge, and pit of shades can slow the enemy movement. Its all about your tactics and the way you see magic helping in your army.
Quick question: what armies will your list be taking on, so we know better what you will be going up against?

·
690 Posts
Nothing like lore of shadows.

I mean it has 2 of the best spells in the game.

Pit of shades is murder on dwarves, treemen, trolls, orgres and not too bad against a giant or so. Great answer for a lot of though stuff.

Unseen lurker is one of those rare movement spells. Can't beat a free movement with a hard hitting unit.

Then shades of death can come in handy and it has 2 decent damage spells.

But the biggest reason for taking shadows would be that the default spell is just awesome and you are guaranteed to get it. Give an exalted champion a flail and just fly him into warmachines or chariots and watch the carnage. If you really want to make it nasty take a bray shaman with the lore of beasts and cast bear's anger on him before using steeds of shadows. I realize that you would need to get both off but the option is nice. Also steeds of shadows is probably one of the most underestimated spells in the game and often just ignored. People often don't dispel it as they don't fear a single model flying.

Fire is good but playing chaos it will just kill some thing here and there but it won't soften opponents up enough without shooting. And same for death although you gotta love doom and darkness. But that's the only great spell and you aren't garanteed to get it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I allways take Fire , and ignore Shadow lore and think of it as one of the weakest lores. But it would be nice to try to cast Bear's Anger on a Exalted Champ ant them throw him into something with Steeds of Shadow 8X

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
how many casters do you have?
how many power dice?
Any other magic enhancing items?
What does the rest of your army look like?
What types of opponents do you face?
I'd need answers to these before I make an opinion.

·
Confused Corgi
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All right-I guess I should have mentioned this from the off, but whatever.

I play with 2 lvl 2 wizards (one usually with a power stone and spell familiar for that extra option in the mage phase, and another either as a scroll caddy or with a second of the first)

I'd go against a horde skaven army, orcs & goblins (with 3 units of spider riders...how I despise them) Ogres, and Dwarfs.

So-I think that covers the bases.

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
Death. It has quite a few identical spells to fire, but with lower casting values. I find the shadow spells either really good or utterly forgettable - there is no middle ground.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In your case, against those armies, I would take fire. May just be my play style, but I would rather take fire. Straight damage. Blast those pesky spider riders with fireballs, or cast the ever-amazing conflag of doom or even a wall of fire in front of a huge infantry unit of skaven or O&G, and laugh at the amount of damage caused. Force those all important panic tests for those armies with bad LD. Plus as stated earlier, all the fire spells do good damage, whatever you roll, you will be happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.