• Ostland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reikland

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Talabecland

• Wissenland

• Other- one of the forgotten, destroyed or smaller provinces.

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to add the poll. Please comment on the reasons why you choose the province you did.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Poll fail. You left out the cities. Middenheim and Altdorf armies are pretty common...

/edit/. To put it another way, young knave, my boys are no country bumpkins, they're from the capital. Every man among them is better educated that your mayor, a better swordsman than your captain of the watch, and bathes more in a week than your provincial rabble does all summer. Oh, sure, they bleed just as red, but they die more nobly, with Lady Hildegarde's aria in "the sorrow of stovald" at the state opera last summer in their ears and a sermon, not of some rustic pastor, but of the Grand Theogenist himself in their hearts!

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Had to vote "other" because neither of my armies are necessarily provincial forces.

The 'Empire' army that I play most often, actually uses the Samurai miniatures that I use for my Nippon armybook. The plan was to build the army so that it was 90% interchangeable with the models that I take for my Nippon list, so that if someone didn't agree with the fanbook, I could run them as plain Empire.

The second army that I own is mostly shelf decoration, but it's the Engineer's "College Guard". I used a bunch of Vostroyan models, with the gasmasks, prosthetics, and everything. I wanted to do a Steampunk army, and build STanks that looked like they'd been in the field and actually used. The whole army is pretty dirty looking, in contrast to the usual bright-liveried Empire Staties. The idea that I had for them is that the College Guard not only protect the secrets of the Engineering College, but also go into the field to recover lost technology or artifacts (there are only 8 STanks left in the Empire - my guys are trying to recover the lost 4, and also recover any which are damaged in battle) as well as testing out the more outlandish College inventions, such as breech-loading handguns, small gatling-guns (repeater handguns), gasmasks (required for work around the smog-filled college), and other items of the sort. It's a pretty sexy looking army so far, and does pretty well for a gunline style build.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Had to vote "other" because neither of my armies are necessarily provincial forces.

The 'Empire' army that I play most often, actually uses the Samurai miniatures that I use for my Nippon armybook. The plan was to build the army so that it was 90% interchangeable with the models that I take for my Nippon list, so that if someone didn't agree with the fanbook, I could run them as plain Empire.

The second army that I own is mostly shelf decoration, but it's the Engineer's "College Guard". I used a bunch of Vostroyan models, with the gasmasks, prosthetics, and everything. I wanted to do a Steampunk army, and build STanks that looked like they'd been in the field and actually used. The whole army is pretty dirty looking, in contrast to the usual bright-liveried Empire Staties. The idea that I had for them is that the College Guard not only protect the secrets of the Engineering College, but also go into the field to recover lost technology or artifacts (there are only 8 STanks left in the Empire - my guys are trying to recover the lost 4, and also recover any which are damaged in battle) as well as testing out the more outlandish College inventions, such as breech-loading handguns, small gatling-guns (repeater handguns), gasmasks (required for work around the smog-filled college), and other items of the sort. It's a pretty sexy looking army so far, and does pretty well for a gunline style build.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
STIRLAND!!!!!

Nowt beats a bunch of farmers and lumberjacks kicking the behind of Rampaging Beastmen and Orcs!! Plus, I like the rustic theme. Having the ability to kit bash from several different kits and no real 'uniform' you can make some really unique looking units. Also, you can cobble together some of the older Empire stuff like War Wagons :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hmmm.. old thread but looks like it lives!!!

My son wanted his Empire army done in Talabheim - Red/white. So, that had me painting a lot of the same color for a while. Very striking on the table. However, we had a very unfortunate event happen to his entire Empire army this weekend, as the cat decided to jump up on the bookshelf where we have all of the armies and tipped over the display board where it crashed the board and the whole army to the floor. I think we were able to find all of the pieces that broke, so the work to assemble will be massive. Right now they are piled in one big huge mash up awaiting some TLC to return them to their former glory.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sucks. I always leave my stuff in cases, except when painting. Though i have had the dog grab one in his mouth and run off with it once i dropped it. Thought it was a chewy, fortunately there was little damage done.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ha! Well, I won't even go into the dog getting into my other son's box with his Dark Elf army - I am positive there were a number that he could not find that ended up going through the old 'Dog play-do fun factory of life'...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I say other as my empire force is based on lizardmen worshipers and the have leopard cloaks and have lizardmen halbards
and spartan heads :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Averland -> Yellow and black make for very striking models on the tabletop. The yellow is hard to paint (especially quickly) though.
I agree I really wanted to do averland color scheme as its closest to the Holy roman empire. However, the thought of painting yellow on black is daunting. I have done it some with my bret knights and it takes a LONG time.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
However, the thought of painting yellow on black is daunting.
LAZY! Paint the black onto the yellow. Start with a white basecoat, rather than copping out and using black. Black over a white coat will give a "not quite black" color which can then be shaded with black inks. You actually gain from painting the lighter color first. Yeah, it's an extra step, but it actually saves time in the long run, and looks better.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Do you have a thread showing your Nippon army? I would love to see them.

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
Nuln. My Nuln blue stripes regiment have a nice moto "power through powder"

·
Registered
120 Posts
I usually do it the other way around; painting a darker colour (plague brown usually) over the black; covering up with sunburst yellow.

This indeed requires the black to be highlighted as well. Space wolf grey does the trick nicely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts