Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so, I already have a Skaven force. Although it still lacks a few models (namely gutter runners and characters), I have about 4k-5k points. I've played them in a ton of friendly/competitive games, and have won a majority of those games, and I think I'm just looking for a change. I don't want to change armies, I'm just looking for a different kind of play style. Anywho, I'm looking for an army that fits into my style including:

Combat: Honestly, I would just want an army that wins 1/3 to 1/2 of the time. I'm not really looking for a ton of shooting; I would still like to focus on the combat + magic aspects of the game. I am "meh" about constantly losing combats with clanrats/slaves. Although, I do want a little variety in play style.

Painting: I'm not a pro painter, but I've gotten good remarks about the painting skills on my Skaven army. I would like to enjoy painting my models, and I like the dynamics that different models can have. I go for the rugged, dirty look (as if the models have just been in a battle/war).

Models: I'd like to move away from the giant hordes of models that Skaven are so known for; I'd actually prefer a somewhat elite army, but one that is fun to play and isn't subjected to the same 1-2 competitive army builds. I also love the bigger models that stand out from the rest of the army. What drove me to play Skaven were the bigger models, such as the doomwheel, the hell pit abomination, etc. However, there's at least one thing in every army that I enjoy looking at and wouldn't mind playing, so I'm pretty flexible here.

This probably isn't enough information to go off of, but basically, I want an army that is almost the complete opposite of Skaven in terms of models; fewer of them, and a little more elite-ish.
I love the look of all the models (minus Ogre Kingdoms), so I'm really flexible here; I would just need to see which army really fit my playstyle, and I figured hearing about the armies from people who have experience in playing/playing against said-armies would be extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hmmm, interesting.

Based on what you've said I'd suggest three armies.

1. Ogre Kingdom - Easy to do with a more brutal dark paint scheme, great fluff and background, nice variety in both ranged, melee, and mounted troops; with big mounted monster units such as the Thundertusks. Good access to magic and a few cool varient units. It's a bit limited in competitive builds but I'd recommend them to anyone as a solid second army, especially as the low model count can encourage more time on painting them well.

2. Warriors Of Chaos/Chaos Legion - Warriors Of Chaos is THE army to go for if you want an elite force with variety. Chariots, monsters, cavelry, elite infantry, monstrous infantry, monstrous cavalry, the hellcannon, great access to magic, many different mount options for characters including dragons, four distinct design flavours with in game mechanics to make them feel different... and it's ALL competitive. Warriors Of Chaos is the best army in the game, not because they're "the best", but because they have the most in game and artistic freedom of any army GW has ever produced for any game.

3. Lizardmen - Good solid foot troops, flying monsters, cavalry, big monsters as mounts, skirmishers and swarms; and they have the Slaan with again, great access to magic. While I don't rate the army too highly competitively, almost everyone here rates them higher and as I don't play them I may well be wrong. Either way, it's an army with solid elite troop options, great theme and flavour, it's noticeably different to the Skaven, and it's sentient dinosaurs, lizard-people and giant magic frogs; if you can't make that army dark and gritty there's something wrong... after all, this is the only army that can field a motherf*cking T-rex!!! That's special.

Personally I'd say Lizardmen best suit what you want, but none of those three are horde armies, or armies that rely on shooting; and all would be interesting to collect I think.

I hope you have fun, and good luck on your new project.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts