Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my army i cant decide which kind of Hive Tyrant who is unaccompanied by Tyrant Guards to use without wings

Melee Tyrant

AGs (WS), EC, TSs, STs, TM Implant attack? i was wondering if this was a good idea becasue he could deal twice as many wounds too a unit. Suggestions?

or

Dakka Tyrant

ES, TS, EC, Twin-linked devourers (I cant decide which one to use both use the tyrant's strong points suggestions) NOTE: gave them EC because i dont have any Tyrant guards

which one do you think is better??...

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
In my army i cant decide which kind of Hive Tyrant who is unaccompanied by Tyrant Guards to use without wings

Melee Tyrant

AGs (WS), EC, TSs, STs, TM Implant attack? i was wondering if this was a good idea becasue he could deal twice as many wounds too a unit. Suggestions?

or

Dakka Tyrant

ES, TS, EC, Twin-linked devourers (I cant decide which one to use both use the tyrant's strong points suggestions) NOTE: gave them EC because i dont have any Tyrant guards

which one do you think is better??...
Dakka tyrant. If you run the numbers, the dakka tyrant will do more damage to a unit shooting at it then assaulting it then a CC tyrant does just assaulting.

A CC tyrant needs wings, otherwise it'll get shot up before it can reach an enemy line. Nothing wrong wtih EC, although a flying tyrant will need warp field.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also as a note Implant attack only affect multiple wound Models. You would'nt deal more damage to the average unit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would also say go wtih the dakka tyrant, especially if it's going to be walking. I myself run a flying dakka tyrant, and it has consistently been my MVP in just about every game I play.

Keep in mind, that even if you tool out a tyrant for shooting, it's still a hive tyrant and can mess stuff up in CC if it wants to. I use my dakka tyrant to take out large swathes of light infantry, rip apart vehicles in CC, and overhwlem small elite squads with a blistering number of shots followed up by an assault. You have to be careful with that last one though and make sure you can take out the powerfist style threats before they get a chance to hit you back.

Something else to consider, put some kind of psychic power on the tyrant. Warpblast could be useful if there's some armor in your way, and the tyrant's better-than-nid-average BS would make it hit more than zoanthropes (I can never get those things to hit anything). You could also try psychic scream, since tyrants come standard with The Horror, enemy units would have to take a LD test with -1 LD. If you surround it with 3 more zoanthropes with psychic scream, your tyrant is basically safe from assaults, and just waltz right into the middle of the enemy forces and blast them away all day long.

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
Something else to consider, put some kind of psychic power on the tyrant. Warpblast could be useful if there's some armor in your way, and the tyrant's better-than-nid-average BS would make it hit more than zoanthropes (I can never get those things to hit anything). You could also try psychic scream, since tyrants come standard with The Horror, enemy units would have to take a LD test with -1 LD. If you surround it with 3 more zoanthropes with psychic scream, your tyrant is basically safe from assaults, and just waltz right into the middle of the enemy forces and blast them away all day long.
Just to point out a thing or two about warp blast. First, you can't use the focused blast if the model has enhanced senses (Nid codex, pg 31). Also this power takes the place of a shooting attack (Rule Book, pg 50 ). So if you take warp blast with a dakka tyrant, the tyrant will only be able to shoot 6 of his 12 devourer shots along side the warp blast.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Dakka Tyrant.

Why would you not pick the best shooty unit in 40k for the points. Two twinlinked Devourers hitting on the better BS of the Tyrant will make most S4 units take 10 - 11 saves per round of shooting. That is increadible for a 150ish point unit.

Cheers, DH

·
Registered
516 Posts
I personally cannot endorse the TL venom cannon. You're getting only 1/6 of the shots and you're only re-rolling to hit. Also it's not even that great against vehicles. Better to run the Dakka flyrant in my opinion. Perhaps change the CC flyrant to a Deathspitter tyrant, since you can only have one flyrant. Now that can be fun if you have some warriors to back it up with. I've always been a fan of the Dakka flyrant. It has literally torn space marine squads to shreds for me. Always feared when I put it down on the table.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just to point out a thing or two about warp blast. First, you can't use the focused blast if the model has enhanced senses (Nid codex, pg 31). Also this power takes the place of a shooting attack (Rule Book, pg 50 ). So if you take warp blast with a dakka tyrant, the tyrant will only be able to shoot 6 of his 12 devourer shots along side the warp blast.

Thanks for that clarification. I had forgotten about the ES thing with warpblast. The only reason I was suggesting it was in case you find yourself in a situation where there aren't any appealing targets for devourers. This is rare I know, but it does happen. Since you reminded me about the ES thing, I may not be so keen on endorsing warpblast, but I stand by psychic scream, it's always nice to have.

·
1,105 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and vote for the CC tyrant. While the CC tyrant won't be dealing the same number of wounds to a squad, close combat works much differently than shooting. Give the Tyrant wings and a warp field, plus whatever close combat buffs you want, and it'll easily be killing 4 models per turn in close combat (or a tank if that's what you're fighting). With our weakness to high-AV vehicles in 5th, we need all of the help that we can get to destroy tanks. When fighting infantry squads, outright killing 4 models is pretty sweet, but when you make a squad take a Morale check at -4 Ld, a lot of units will be running, and at I6 a lot of units will be simply wiped off the board. This also keeps your more ranged combatants out of close combat, leaving Sniperfexes to do their dirty work.The ability to easily destroy entire squads in close combat with every turn (and you'll often get the charge with the help of The Horror) is something I find preferable to wounds in shooting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dakka tyrant by a country mile.

There is no other set up which can outmatch 12 Str 5 reroll to hit, reroll to wound attacks, which can then be followed up with an assault.....

My dakka tyrant has taken out, in one volley (different games), a blood thirster, a 5 man termie assault squad, and a demon prince. Each of those probably would have eaten even a CC tyrant in CC.

My experiance has been that CC should be left up to CC units like Genestealers, brood lords, hormies (if you are still playing 4th...not so much in 5th) and raveners.

The TMC's (HT's and Fexes) are great at popping tanks and sometimes taking out single targets, but anything with power weapons or power fists/claws will turn them into paste.

I would much perfer to soften them up quite a bit with the dakka and then move into mop up.

I should also mention that I love the idea of CC TMC's and I stubbornly refuse to put my CC fex back in the box....but even I have to admit it is really really important to keep them away from a lot of units. On the other hand its a beautiful thing when you walk up to a monlith and evicerate it....

·
Back with a vengeance
628 Posts
Definately the Dakka Tyrant, most times that CC Tyrant won't make it to combat without wings, while that Tyrant will spray death from turn two.

I absolutely love Dakka Tyrants, in all forms, so I put my full support behind one.

·
Back with a vengeance
628 Posts
Mr Nid, I JUST finished painting mine, I just have one wing to go till its done, I will post up pics in maybe as little as half an hour.

After a year waiting for paint I am happy to have him done.

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
Here's a post with some pics of mine. Still haven't gotten it primed yet. So if you want a close up of something in particular just let me know.

linky

·
Back with a vengeance
628 Posts
Sorry to derail, but wow, that was my first ever post! I'm glad you linked that, good times.

I remember when I was freaking out about the Devourers, and now I have a guide up that shows how to fix that problem! Oh how I have changed...

·
Back with a vengeance
628 Posts
As promised, here is my fully painted Dakka Flyrant, he's got his wings out of his carapace, they are pinned and magnetized, and his Devourers are magnetized for swapping. Hope you like it:

He still needs basing (hence the blue leftover from the wash on his base), but thats pretty much all done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks great, but wow are those Balrog wings huge!

Im glad I went with the dragon wings.

I guess I ought to take a pic of him and post it sometime....hmm...

·
Back with a vengeance
628 Posts
Yeah, they are gigantic, but if you think about it you would need gigantic wings to lift that bugger off the ground. Well, it makes him impressive!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts