Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing Chaos, 2000 point battle and i decided i need some serious heavy weapons, aka ordnance.

I looked in the rulebook, chapter approved and every book i have and decided to have either a whirlwind or a vindicator.Then i had to decide which one, i cant decide, neither can anyone at my club.

I need your help. The question is:

Should i get a Vindicator or a Whirlwind based on points, armour, BS and anything that matters about its strengths, and not forgetting weaknesses?

·
Registered
377 Posts
What do you want the ordnance to do in battle? Covering fire, horde-reduction etc?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like the ordnance to perform the task of getting rid of enemy men fast so they cant get in close (my army isnt good in close combat).

·
Registered
144 Posts
it also depends on what you want to do. If you dont mind staying in the open then you can use the exceptional power of the vindicator. However i think the wirlwind is the better of the two the fact that it can hide behind anything and still fire is one of the best things around. It really does work against space marines as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I havent seen many vindicators in the areas I've played but the specs look pretty impressive. Why do you think most people don't use them? Their armor seems good enough to hold up pretty decent in a firefight. And lets face it you only need 1 or 2 good blasts to squash pretty much anything :D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It depends wholly on what your opponents like to play.
If playing against nids, guard, orks, tau and maybe eldar I would go for the whirlwind.
It has good range and indirect fire... if I'm not completely wrong.
If you primarily play against tougher opponents like space marines and chaos... and virtually any other army I would go for the vindicator.
It's massive str. and AP should reduce virtually any opponent to slag...
Personally I would go for the vindicator... but ulimately... the choice is up to you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
downside of the Vindi is its crap range

also, the Whirly still gets 2d6 for penetration, so its not totally crap at killing fast transports etc

they both create pinning stuffs too which is fun

·
Registered
377 Posts
The general consensus would appear to be Whirlwind for hordes and Vindicator for tougher opponents.

I would go for the WW, personally, as it has an extra 24" of firing before it will be damaged. Also, it will be able to damage tougher troops whereas the Vindi will not make up it's points before it is overrun against a horde.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
for cover fire on an advance ww
for defensive power vindi
both are good in a cityfight

when my friend started necrons i promised myself id get a vindi the i started an infantry wolves army then a guard army so that goal has yet to be reached

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by slickis@Sep 29 2003, 13:24
they both create pinning stuffs too which is fun
all ordnance has barage pinning. So do snipers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Both are really good Tanks.
Whirlwind has indirect fire capabilities and are good against massed infantry but lack armour, but the Vindicator is the bane of tanks and heavy infantry and has good armour,
My advice: get both! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.