Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
does anyone in the forum have a whirlwind? if u do, can u help me with effectively guessing the range of the shooting, seem to always miss by that little bit.....

and a side question.... is fielding a whirlwind in a 500pt army cheap??
:) thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
not at all. its the perfect heavy shoice for that small of a game since it is cheap in points

well think of something u know that is 12 inches, well not that somethign else. for example. my shoe size is a 15, so i knwo that it is about 12 inches. when i guess i look at my foot and imagine my foot on the table and make an estimate from there. u will get btter in time.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
notice land marks and their distances when you fire and use that to calibrate your shot

·
Registered
485 Posts
A good way to calcultae distances is by using trigonometry. To get the most accurate legs in the triangle you guess the distance from the table edge and to the target and subtrac /add it relativly to the place ment of the Whirlwind. The same is done with the Whirlwind itself

Take a look here for what I mean. The "W" is the Whirlwind and the "T" is the target. The distances you need to know is the green ones (marked h1 and h2) To find out these you need to know the size of the field, which shouldn't be a problem finding out before the game. Now just guess the distances marked in red and subtract them from the appropriate table length. After this is done you will have to distances the h1 and the h2. Now just calculate the "k" (blue one) using the Pythagorean Theorem (not sure if this is the correct term)

·
Registered
175 Posts
<_< It's also practice.. In your free time you might whanna set up your whirlwind and like 3 squads in different areas of your playing area.. then just guess three times (One for each sqaud) and then re set up the squads and whirlwind.. You'll get the hand of it.. And you'll get the eye for it... So you can give a educated guess when your playing for real. It works for me.. :w

·
Registered
260 Posts
ok this is cheap but hey it works if you hav a land speeder by your whirly measure around to see where your ls can move wen realy measuring your whirly distance it not that odvius unless you make a point of it which i usualy do to annoy my opponents <:>

·
Registered
71 Posts
A friend of mine is incridible at guessing range.. He played alot of with his cannon based Empire army (WFB) and later with Imperial guard mortarbased.. he loved to guess range.. might have to do that he was quite good at it..

This is how he got good

He used to take a handfull och dice. mark a spot on the table where his "cannon" stod, then he threw out the dice one at a time and guessed the range.. then he measured.. Throw another guess, measure and so on.. he did this alot and became the Grand master of guessing range..

Try it.. Master belials way is quite well though out to..

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
In my opinion it's all up to experience.
With time you will easily se that eg. the minimum range of the basilisk indirect fire: 36 inches.

For me I just utilize the sizes of the table and keep that in mind, remembering the distances in a cleanse mission, the 18 inch deployment rule.

Also I take knowlege that I know between my outstreatched little finger and thumb tere is exactly 6 inches.
My entire arm from the shoulder to the finger tips is 36 inches, of course this depend on your own sizes.
Try it out.
Other ideas is to memorize the distances between say windows and then transfering those distances down to the table.
I use that all the time, although not everyone like it...
But then again I am not measuring the distances on the table so they can't say anything.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
One Army method for estimating distance is used in fire control orders, it is called 'Halving'. basically, stand parrallel to your line of fire, figure out where halfway is, estimate that distance, double it, if it is still too long, half the half, I find this is really effective

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do as my old IG-playing friend used to..

Take 5 dice. Throw them out onto the tabletop. Guess range to each of them. Measure and note the difference. Rinse and repeat. Do this a couple of times, or more for better accuracy, and you'll get the hang of it.

I'll tell you he was DARN good at guessing those mortars.

·
Registered
311 Posts
dead monkeys cry:
"OK this is cheap but hey it works if you hav a land speeder by your whirly measure around to see where your ls can move wen realy measuring your whirly distance it not that odvius unless you make a point of it which i usualy do to annoy my opponents"

higgo
"get a 12" necklace when your guessing take it of and inconpicolesly wave it around not very hounerable but works"

That is some of the cheapest **** I have ever heard of. I am not sure if there is a direct connection, but I have noticed the worse someone's spelling is, the amount and degree to which they cheat increases proportionally.

'odvius' and 'inconpicolesly' are perfect examples i guess. :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by grimnar00@Nov 3 2003, 16:16
another way is to use 2 whirlwinds and measur on the first one and nail it on the second . not very sportmen like but its won me a couple games
my friend plays imperial guard. he asked this question to the rules boys at GW..he found out that if you have indirect fire weapons, they must be fired first out of all your artillery, and also you must guess range on all ID first, then measure distance..be careful if you continue to do this, someone might call it on you and depending on how anal they are ask you to forfeit (if its a tournament)

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you have a gun next to it, fire the gun at a unit. then, measure the distance to the unit to see if you in range (even if you know you are/aren't). bam, youve got your range. i got this out of a white dwarf so dont call me a cheat. i dont even have any guess range weapons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.