Votes: 94 55.6%
  • Phoenix Guard

Votes: 75 44.4%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
which do you like better overall? fluffwise, and combatwise. just curious.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
In all honesty with the current rules, I wouldn't take wither. White Lions are slightly more effective, but they are still competing for slots with bolt throwers and eagles, and my commanders have better uses than lionguard.

Modelwise, the PG models are absolutely brilliant and they have nice fluff to, so I had to vote for them.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i went phonix cus they are arguably the best looking models in fantasy but the rules for both units suck and i wouldn't be caught dead feilding either until they are updated.

·
Registered
999 Posts
rules wise i chose white lions. stubborn (i'm quite lucky with [email protected]) and the almost always get to charge and hack the enemy appart.

Altough the fluff of the PG really cool is (as are their miniatures) only they suck in the game.

So i chose WL.

Good Hunting!

·
690 Posts
Though one:

Fluff: White lions - The bodyguard rules are pretty cool. But I also because I think the fluff for the PG is broken. Think about it. The PG cause fear because they fight in absolute silence even when killed. However they panic/break just as easily as spearmen. I'm sorry but if they are that unphased in combat that they fight and die in absolute silence they should also have something that goes with that. Like stubborn, immune to psycology, unbreakable, immune to panic. At least one of those things.

Usefullnes: White lions - They can become a special choice, woodsmen, bodyguard, str6. Stubborn with general, Korhil. PG are always rare, too expensive and you need too many to take advantage of causing fear.

Looks: PG - They are the coolest looking infantry models in the games. This is the main reason I sometimes use them. They just look too cool on the table.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Fluff wise i think that white lions are better, i mean they have to kill a lion to get in! But combatwise i think that casuing fear is better and so i would go for phoenix guard. However the other rare options are both better that lions or phoenix.

If i had to make a choice tho i would say WHITE LIONS.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Perturabo_The_Great said:
They are silent because they are magically bound by their oath to defend the fire that decides on the Phoenix King (I forget what it's called).

My vote goes to the PG, because the models and fluff are cool.

...what he said, and also cos I dont yet own any White Lion models!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Both a waste of time as rare choices. :wacko:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
yea but even in combat the 2 units are actually quite crap

white lions are too expensive cus in all honesty the woodsman rule sucks and striking last is a deathwarrent for single wound t 3 elves and they are also the ugliest unit in the high elf book if not the elven race in general.

phoinex guard i actually like decent str, i and armour but they are not worth 15 points each but on a plus they are without question the most beautiful models in the high elf book if not warhammer in general.

also both of these units are rare and i assume the purpose of this poll was to find out which is better so i will say neither rbt's and eagles blow these guys 8 ways to friday

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well said :w00t:

·
Registered
96 Posts
White lions

white lions, even though ive used both, and like the fluff for both, they both almost lost the game for me because of lost points in superior troops (swordmasters, mostly.) i also think the Lions look better, and i used them to greater effectiveness, both were annihilated because they lacked staying power for their points.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i think it can all safely be surmised in one statement

phoinex suck cus they are rare and the rbt's and eagles own those slots,

white lions suck for the reasons above but also cus even when you buy that overly expensive honor to make em special swordmasters do the same job jus cheaper and quicker

·
Registered
28 Posts
I voted for White Lions, as I like them far more than Phoeinx Guard, both fluffwise and in game. However, it is really sad that the Lion Guard honour is so expensive, because it rules out ant magic items.. I like the models though, i painted my pelts sort of golden and a fiery color to the helmets' plumes to tie the unit in with the army...

Though I have to agree with the rest of you that they are fighting a losing battle for that rare slot against eagles and RBT's. I usually just proxy my swordmasters as my white lions, because the lions look cooler and i actually field the swordmasters :p

You really have to get the charge with the lions, otherwise they are doomed. Then they can perform the same job as swordmasters, except that they hit harder and have less armor.. Really, they should come as special! :S

·
Registered
12 Posts
Phoenix guard. The models are the best in the whole of warhammer and the fluff is second only to the assassins of the dark elves. I don't like white lions 'cause they're tough and elves aren't supposed to be tough :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
fluff wise and looks wise i love PG. they are simply amazing. rules wise however white lions win, cause they are S 6 in combat, and are stuborn, and have somewhat better saves.

however if what i have heard is true for the new codex, PG are going to kick major booty. they will cause terror, and will have a 4+ ward save. that would justify there pts cost, and theyre awsomness, cause right now, swordmaster are much better then them, and they are special, and rares are supposed to be the best of the best

1 - 20 of 90 Posts