Librarium Online Forums banner

How do you like your dark reapers?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I want to know is who fields reapers?

What is the most common equipment/options?

And out of all the heavy support choices, who thinks they are worth they extremely pricey point costs?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm definitely no expert (my first game is tomorrow :secret: ) but it seems to me that they are just too pricey and limited in scope compared to the other heavy support choices. Wraithlords can be fitted to a number of different roles, and look awesome. Fire Prisms, although they can be rendered useless if their prism gets blown up, can still drop pie plates of marine death when you link them, or do tank hunting with the single-prism focused shot. Falcons can transport a small team of Fire Dragons or other small unit while still being fitted with heavy weapons.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I field a unit of 5 with no upgrades, its 10 dice that say your marine squad are dead. I dont have a lot of grav tanks yet but The Blue Oyster were wrong when they sang dont fear the reaper. They are easy to hide, and draw a good amount of survivable fire. Course they are rubbish against vehicles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
They are really for only those that cannot afford tanks. The are good on paper but the points cost cannot be justifed if you have other options. Eldar have some great heavy support options which take away the use of reapers.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
It's all about the exarch, the tempest launcher and fast shot is just to good to pass up. Half the time my squad doesn't even have to fire. Be it against ork, marines, guard...take your pick. Between a doomed bottle necked ork squad and my exarch I've managed to kill an ENTIRE ork mob in a single shooting phase without breaking a sweat. I absolutely love em.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Never used 'em. Its not that they're bad in any sense, its just that there are better things to put in a heavy slot.

·
1,273 Posts
3 or 4 in squad, tempest launcher crack shots almost in every list

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
Against all armies that aren't MEQs, I field 3 Fire Prisms. However, against MEQs, there is really no benefit in the third Prism, so I field 2 Fire Prisms and 4 Dark Reapers with no upgrades (incidentally converted from Dire Avengers as I positively despise the actual models).

~ DiW

·
Registered
113 Posts
I didnt bother to vote because, frankly, Reapers are the suck compared to other heavy choices. Take a look at a squad of Walkers for example: You can equip them with Scatter Lasers across the board and fire 24 S6 shots for ALOT less points.

COMPARISON
-5 man unit of Dark Reapers for 175 points=10 S5 AP3 shots, no options, move or fire
-A squad of 3 War Walkers with Scatterlasers for 180 points=24 S6 AP6 shots, 6" move and can still fire. Can Flank from Reserve. Has Scout move; all with no options

Im not gonna crunch the numbers, but Im pretty sure your chances of shredding a unit of Marines is a hell of alot higher. Not to mention that once you add an Exarch with options, the price jumps dramatically on Reapers

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just worked out the numbers. Goes as follows:

Reapers: 10 x 2/3 = 6 2/3 hits -> 6.6666 x 2/3 wounds = 4.44444 -> no save = 4.44444 kills

Walkers: 24 x 1/2 = 12 hits -> 12 x 5/6 = 10 wounds -> 10 x 1/3 = 3.3333 kills

Reapers will actually kill more against a normal squad of marines. The deciding factor is the lack of armor saves against the reapers. As it is seen, 2/3 of the wounds are saved against the walkers. The higher BS on the Reapers helps too.

·
Banned
454 Posts
Im not gonna crunch the numbers, but Im pretty sure your chances of shredding a unit of Marines is a hell of alot higher.
Only against marines in cover, otherwise the reapers are more effective. I'm really surprised to see so much reaper hate honestly. Admittedly, a squad of basic reapers are a little lackluster compared other HS options, but everyone seems to be just flat-out ignoring two hugely important aspects of the eldar army: special rules and unit synergy. Part of the reasons reapers are kind of meh on their own is so much cover in 5th edition, but with a tempest launcher and/or crack shot the exarch upgrade can deal enough AP3 cover-ignoring damage for the entire squad.

Particularly when combined with guide, I've routinely seen the reapers with tempest launcher wipe out a squad of marines every turn, in cover. In dozens of games with them there were only three times they didn't make their points back, one of which was a Dawn of War game with little cover, the other two games against IG and Orks. Against marines, they're also an immensely powerful psychological tool, because marine players tend to freak the moment they see something that can ignore their armor.

Not to knock scatter laser walkers by any means, they're one of my favorites in an army with a whole field of amazing HS choices. But against marines, a well-kitted reaper squad is possibly the most effective killing unit you can field. While they do need Farseer support to be used to full effect, I think they're absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Personally, I love using an Exarch with a Tempest Launcher and Fast Shot, especially when accompanied by a Farseer with Guide. This gives you 3 str 4 ap 3 blasts that can reroll to scatter, may cause pinning, and have a good chance of ignoring cover (pinning and possible ignoring of cover are due to it being a barrage weapon). On top of that, as long as the first shot lands on your target, the other 2 shots have a good shot of hitting it, too. Remember that multiple barrage shots from the same unit scatter to the border of the blast of first shot fired unless another hit is rolled. In addition, barrage means he doesnt even have to have LoS to his target. It makes the shot scatter more, but with guide you have an extra chance to roll a hit on the scatter die. As Greenbeard said, it is possible for an exarch with a tempest launcher to take out an entire squad by himself.

They have a nice 3+ save themselves, as well. Because of this, I was able to tie up an enemy that had assaulted them for about 3 turns. Still, try to keep them out of harm's way. They are expensive, and do only have toughness 3, after all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well I used them twice last night, they were actually surprisingly good agaisnt IG but I think thats just because my opponent never really shot at them until the very end, so they would've easily been ran off the board if he did shoot at them.

I actually had an EML on the Exarch, it came like that but I'll try and find the Tempest Launcher, even so... EML didn't do too badly with their 4 BS.

·
It came from the warp...
458 Posts
I love reapers, and I would field them too, but since I now play reserve mechanized Eldar, they're much too static in comparison to the rest of my list. Now everyone is complaining about how cover kills the usefulness of Dark Reapers, there's a very simple solution called placing objectives in the open. Now when your opponent runs in the grab the objective, their troops are now sitting out in the open ready to get blasted to kingdom come by your AP3 goodness. Now you might say; "what if their in a transport?", that's a whole other issue in of itself, as now it's not a matter of cover, but a moving bunker, (or flaming metal deathtrap in the case of the Land Speeder Storm, Ork Trukk, Dark Eldar Raider.)

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
With all the cover around paired with their limited mobility, it is very unlikely that any opponent will let you get a clean shot at his marines. This limits his movements to an extent, which may make the reapers a high priority target. However, since the Reapers are very fragile they do not make good fire magnets.

That said, they are still able to dish out some damage. But I prefer Dire Avengers even against Marines, because with their crappy AP it doesn't matter if the marines are in cover. For good or for worse.

No Eldar unit should work solo though. Dark Reapers are great support for units that get up close to deal death. Let's see if they want to charge you when they'll end up in the Reaper's firing lane if they wipe out that unit.

·
2,845 Posts
Mathhammer says that a squad of Reapers and 2 Fire Prisms is better against MEQ armies than 3 Fire Prisms, so that's what I use. Against non-MEQs, I use 3 Fire Prisms.

~ DiW

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dark reapers seems to be devastating when facing necron armies. No save under 3+, the swarms can't take the tempest blast and the extra strenght is almost always useful.

·
2,845 Posts
Tempest Launchers are a waste of points. If you're going to take an Exarch, give him an EML, but I would recommend not taking an Exarch full-stop.

~ DiW

1 - 20 of 59 Posts