Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
so i think you are asking about the HPA?

it is more awesome than it leads on paper, it demolishes units, characters, large targets alike and with LD8 Stubborn just makes it a head shaker from my opponents.

but it has very poor save, 4+ reg isnt the best at T5, some dwarf artillery with a flame rune will ruin its day, or a grip of bolt thrower shots, some have to get through, or like 2 units of skink skirmishers who are just looking for 6's, point is yes 4+ is 50/50 (can be erased with flame atks) but thats just it, 50/50, it can go good or can go bad, never know.

i would take it every game if i wasnt concerned with my group throwing the cheese flag everytime since it has just recintly ran over some "death star" units :D

·
Big Damn Hero
292 Posts
I haven't used one yet, I've just been running 1 Doomwheel as my rare (I lurve my Doomwheel- it's one-shottedd so many big gribblies with Zzzzzap!)

It looks horrendous, so I'm going to start tossing around the idea of taking one to the doubles.

but it has very poor save, 4+ reg isnt the best at T5, some dwarf artillery with a flame rune will ruin its day, or a grip of bolt thrower shots, some have to get through, or like 2 units of skink skirmishers who are just looking for 6's, point is yes 4+ is 50/50 (can be erased with flame atks) but thats just it, 50/50, it can go good or can go bad, never know.
Ahh yes, that's why you run a Storm Banner with it. First turn, you run it up behind a woods. Second turn you run it straight through the wood and pop your Storm Banner. Third turn you're cutting through units like Anakin through younglings.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dryads bounced off it. I either crapped my wound rolls or he made his regens. I finally tossed a noble with flaming hand weapons and slipped a wound through but then he rolled 3d6 hits and pounded the crap out of me. If I were running Skaven, I'd be sorely tempted not to take one. It's a beast and can't be ignored. It seems like it can tackle targets of any size and with a BSB nearby that stubborn 8 on a terror causer gets ugly.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
I have a cunning plan
605 Posts
Having played against it a bit recently the thing is pretty brutal and will wreck pretty much anything in combat but it's not invincible. It has random movement in an army of infantry so it can and probably will become isolated, it is a T5 large target with a 4+ save so can't take concentrated shooting as anyone who has used a Varghulf will know. Once it's been knocked down to 1 or 2 wounds it's not difficult to finish off in combat(then there is the problem of it coming back i you haven't flamed it). It is very good but it's random and quite a chunk of points which balances it out. Most competitive lists will have a way to deal with it as things that work against it work against Hydras too, so it is a very 50/50 unit. It will either be killed easily and early achieving not much, or will tear apart half an army. It's the potential to tear apart half an army that pretty much makes it 1+.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well u can see it just like a dragon(maybe better), all the attention goes to the HPA and not to the rest of your army. I 'don't use it but it looks very good in combination with storm banner?

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I hate it - autohits and 3d6 attacks are too good. Even the #1-2 attack is too good because it does D3 wounds with it's wounds. There are at least 2/3 of the armies that don't have a reliable flaming attack in their whole army, which makes regen a little too strong in my book as well, at least for a huge beast like that. At least the Hydra has to hit and wound. I'd rather have to take down a hydra than get anywhere close to a HPA

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well if you don't give it regeneration it has no save. It's quite expensive to take one in your army but it's good without the regen i wouldn't take it at all.. But he has very good attacks don't matter what kind you roll. And in fact it's the only really strong unit for skaven. I would take one in my army but one only.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Nonsense, why does it have to have a save? Giants don't have saves (which is why no one uses one) Dragons don't have saves (HPA could take a dragon apart in seconds and costs a fraction of the cost) ~ actually the regeneration is not the problem with me (I think a 5+regen would have been more appropriate), The real problem is the attacks. 3D6 attacks is just too many at str 6. 2D6 auto hits is just too many at str6. Whatever you you send after it has to kill it or it will eat your entire army. Personally I think the units that can take out an army by themselves are too powerful and shouldn't be in the game. At least 50% of the army books have no reliable way of dealing with an HPA without dedicating 1200+pts of troops to it. To me, that doesn't sound fair. And I don't want to hear that Skaven doesn't have any hard hitters or strong units in their army because they have plenty of them, it's just that no one looks at them anymore because they have the HPA. Skaven has the best warmachines in the game, they have PCBs, and Rat Ogres all at a nominal cost and they don't have to worry about most leadership tests. The also have super cheap and reliable core troops, so usually they have the big 5 in any combat to start (ranks, banner, numbers), not to mention some of the cheapest redirecters in the game (slave missiles) Sounds like a deal to me.

·
Registered
494 Posts
shouldnt really talk about how awesome its save is when that is probably its biggest down fall, T5 w/regen, not that great, yes its better than most T5 monsters, but not jaw dropping...especially when there are SOOOO many better saves out there.

it really just is the hitting power people fear.

and it really isnt that exspensive when you compair it to 10 jezzails w/champ (210pts) or a unit of 25 clan rats with FC, spears, shields and a weapon team (200-215 pts). So when you actually compair prices, to the outcomes, the HPA is NOT THAT EXPENSIVE!!!

and only ONE fire wound and it can NOT come back to life or roll on that chart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.